Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 23:05   #166
BHPian
 
Alton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 126
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
With this math , the fan at 6.5k is an investment, i'd say peace of mind beats everything.
Yeah,most of the times decisions need to be made.Time,convenience and money matters(read investments or pleasures on your car ) sometimes tend to influence / balance out things
Thanks again.Will update how the fan motors turn up!
Alton is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 10:26   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I saw this ice formation on my car's A/C pipe when I opened the bonnet recently, wanted to confirm if this was normal since I don't remember noticing it before
Thought of chipping in my thoughts. The ice formation is in the suction side. This happens if the gas pressure is more. I would advise you to reduce a bit if its still present. Its not good for the pipes and the compressor.

regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 21:15   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,489
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Thought of chipping in my thoughts. The ice formation is in the suction side. This happens if the gas pressure is more. I would advise you to reduce a bit if its still present. Its not good for the pipes and the compressor.

regards,
Vijay
Thanks Vijay will get it checked. Haven't noticed it recently but if I think I will get the pressure looked at
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 10:46   #169
BHPian
 
madhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Guys need some help here....

I have a Palio MJD done about 44K Kms and has been pretty trouble free for the 4 yrs of owning it. Yesterday I had to do a one day Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore trip. On the way to Chennai the 'Check Engine light' came on. I must have been doing around 110-120 Kmph when this happened. No weird behavior from the car when this happened - no drop in pick-up/speed, no RPM fluctuations, no spike in engine temp, nothing that would seem like a problem. I immediately pulled over and switched off the engine and did a quick check of the engine bay to see if there was a leak or some other problem. Everything was ok. Start the car and the light was gone. Drove for another 2hrs and everything seemed normal. Again the light popped up and I would've been doing around 80-90Kmph. Stopped and checked - Nothing off again. Started the car light is off now. This happened once more on the way to Chennai.

In Chennai, I called VST motors and the service engineer asked me to get the car to their service center which is very close to the Bangalore highway. I finished my work in Chennai and drove around 30Km within the city. No problems in the city. On my way back I stopped at VST and the service engineer hooked up the analyzer to the car and it showed a message "Drop in Rail pressure" and another error to do with the water temperature. The service engineer cleared these errors and started the engine and checked all the parameters again. Everything was working fine. The service engineer said that the drop in rail pressure could be due to sudden acceleration and nothing to worry about.

On my return the issue occurred 3 times and I was ensuring that I was not doing any hard acceleration and was keeping my speed below 100Kmph. Every time the light came up, I just stopped and started the car and it went away. Car behavior is perfect and not problems whatsoever.

Question:
Drop in rail pressure: What is this and how serious is this? It is an early symptom of an impending failure?
What else could be the problem?

Recent work on the car: Just an engine oil change about 2 weeks ago.
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 14:25   #170
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
Guys need some help here....

I have a Palio MJD done about 44K Kms and has been pretty trouble free for the 4 yrs of owning it. Yesterday I had to do a one day Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore trip. On the way to Chennai the 'Check Engine light' came on. I must have been doing around 110-120 Kmph when this happened. No weird behavior from the car when this happened - no drop in pick-up/speed, no RPM fluctuations, no spike in engine temp, nothing that would seem like a problem. I immediately pulled over and switched off the engine and did a quick check of the engine bay to see if there was a leak or some other problem. Everything was ok. Start the car and the light was gone. Drove for another 2hrs and everything seemed normal. Again the light popped up and I would've been doing around 80-90Kmph. Stopped and checked - Nothing off again. Started the car light is off now. This happened once more on the way to Chennai.

In Chennai, I called VST motors and the service engineer asked me to get the car to their service center which is very close to the Bangalore highway. I finished my work in Chennai and drove around 30Km within the city. No problems in the city. On my way back I stopped at VST and the service engineer hooked up the analyzer to the car and it showed a message "Drop in Rail pressure" and another error to do with the water temperature. The service engineer cleared these errors and started the engine and checked all the parameters again. Everything was working fine. The service engineer said that the drop in rail pressure could be due to sudden acceleration and nothing to worry about.

On my return the issue occurred 3 times and I was ensuring that I was not doing any hard acceleration and was keeping my speed below 100Kmph. Every time the light came up, I just stopped and started the car and it went away. Car behavior is perfect and not problems whatsoever.

Question:
Drop in rail pressure: What is this and how serious is this? It is an early symptom of an impending failure?
What else could be the problem?

Recent work on the car: Just an engine oil change about 2 weeks ago.
Drop in rail pressure:
Cause could be a faulty rail pressure sensor. Check the connections to the rail connectors, clean and refit. If problems persist, change the rail pressure sensor.

Get the feed pump checked too, and check for any diesel leak.

Worst case would be a faulty diesel pump. This will be an expensive repair.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 15:31   #171
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 633
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Question:
Drop in rail pressure: What is this and how serious is this? It is an early symptom of an impending failure?
What else could be the problem?

Recent work on the car: Just an engine oil change about 2 weeks ago.
When was the diesel filter changed last time? This is one element that comes between the fuel pump and the rail.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 16:04   #172
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy

When was the diesel filter changed last time? This is one element that comes between the fuel pump and the rail.
Bejoy, the fuel pump (that pumps to the rail) comes after the fuel filter. The feed pump comes before the filter.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 18:07   #173
BHPian
 
madhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Autocrat thanks for the response... I'll ask the guys at TATA to check this.

The diesel filter was not changed last time as it was not in stock. I do remember checking it and it needed replacement. However, I was told that it could last another 1 - 2K kms. Will get that changed immediately.

But is there a possibility that a dirty filter can cause this?
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 18:11   #174
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
Autocrat thanks for the response... I'll ask the guys at TATA to check this.

The diesel filter was not changed last time as it was not in stock. I do remember checking it and it needed replacement. However, I was told that it could last another 1 - 2K kms. Will get that changed immediately.

But is there a possibility that a dirty filter can cause this?
Its possible, as the diesel may not get a free passage to the fuel pump, and a starved pump will supply less fuel to the rail.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 18:20   #175
BHPian
 
madhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Shouldn't that translate to some performance change? I mean, I couldn't feel a thing different with the car's response to inputs.
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 20:37   #176
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
Shouldn't that translate to some performance change? I mean, I couldn't feel a thing different with the car's response to inputs.
If filter is choked you will see some difference. This is why I feel it may be some connector / sensor issue. Getting connectors cleaned and refitted might resolve the issue.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 21:26   #177
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Check if there are no leaks , otherwise points to a sensor or pump failure. IF the car is stuttering then it points to a fuel filter
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 13:23   #178
Newbie
 
confortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Guys need some help here....

I have a Palio MJD done about 44K Kms and has been pretty trouble free for the 4 yrs of owning it. Yesterday I had to do a one day Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore trip. On the way to Chennai the 'Check Engine light' came on. I must have been doing around 110-120 Kmph when this happened. No weird behavior from the car when this happened - no drop in pick-up/speed, no RPM fluctuations, no spike in engine temp, nothing that would seem like a problem. I immediately pulled over and switched off the engine and did a quick check of the engine bay to see if there was a leak or some other problem. Everything was ok. Start the car and the light was gone. Drove for another 2hrs and everything seemed normal. Again the light popped up and I would've been doing around 80-90Kmph. Stopped and checked - Nothing off again. Started the car light is off now. This happened once more on the way to Chennai.

In Chennai, I called VST motors and the service engineer asked me to get the car to their service center which is very close to the Bangalore highway. I finished my work in Chennai and drove around 30Km within the city. No problems in the city. On my way back I stopped at VST and the service engineer hooked up the analyzer to the car and it showed a message "Drop in Rail pressure" and another error to do with the water temperature. The service engineer cleared these errors and started the engine and checked all the parameters again. Everything was working fine. The service engineer said that the drop in rail pressure could be due to sudden acceleration and nothing to worry about.

On my return the issue occurred 3 times and I was ensuring that I was not doing any hard acceleration and was keeping my speed below 100Kmph. Every time the light came up, I just stopped and started the car and it went away. Car behavior is perfect and not problems whatsoever.

Question:
Drop in rail pressure: What is this and how serious is this? It is an early symptom of an impending failure?
What else could be the problem?

Recent work on the car: Just an engine oil change about 2 weeks ago.
Madhav,
Any updates on this issue. I have a very similar problem in my MJD. Any suggestions would be of help on how your problem was rectified.
confortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 13:33   #179
BHPian
 
madhav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Update on the 'Check Engine light'

I booked an appointment with Prerana yesterday and the car was checked thoroughly for the problem. This time when the analyzer was hooked up, there was no error on the rail pressure recorded, it was only the water temperature issue that was recorded. Prerana noticed that the thermostat was malfunctioning in the car and the same has been replaced. There was no part available, but they procured it from Concorde and had the same fitted on the car. The electrical and wiring were also checked and they have cleared other possibilities and the diesel filter replaced.

I'll be collecting the car this evening and planning a trip to Mysore this weekend. Will get a chance to check if the issue is gone with the fixes.

Thanks for the suggestions... will keep you all posted.
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 13:45   #180
Newbie
 
confortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Update on the 'Check Engine light'

I booked an appointment with Prerana yesterday and the car was checked thoroughly for the problem. This time when the analyzer was hooked up, there was no error on the rail pressure recorded, it was only the water temperature issue that was recorded. Prerana noticed that the thermostat was malfunctioning in the car and the same has been replaced. There was no part available, but they procured it from Concorde and had the same fitted on the car. The electrical and wiring were also checked and they have cleared other possibilities and the diesel filter replaced.

I'll be collecting the car this evening and planning a trip to Mysore this weekend. Will get a chance to check if the issue is gone with the fixes.

Thanks for the suggestions... will keep you all posted.
Madhav, Keep the thread posted. I am facing similar issues with my MJD.
confortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indica Vista - list of Known problems greenhorn Technical Stuff 1424 13th December 2017 02:23
TATA - FIAT Palio Stile MJD : Crafted by FIAT specially for ME! funkykar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 179 25th March 2014 13:58
Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD magnanimousdude Hatchbacks 59 27th October 2010 13:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks