Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th February 2011, 13:26   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@ sierrakamat:

1. Condor has a point that the scuff-plates should go over that edge and cover it, I don't think even the Safari plates are designed that way.However, if the plates fold over that edge, they will be visible even when the door is closed, which I don't think will look good. Any ideas?

2. Cheap duplicate ORVMs are fine as long as they serve the intended purpose. Any Puneri driver worth his salt will tell you that ORVMs are high-breakage high-loss items when you drive in this city of mad traffic, so the cheaper the better. That was also the reason i didn't choose body-color ORVMs. Besides, @ 450 bucks apiece (900 a pair), I wouldn't feel the loss even if I had to replace a mirror, say, once in 6 months. On the contrary, if I lose a mirror worth 1.6K to some mad cyclist, biker or auto on the road , I would feel really bad about it.

However, if there are any functional issues with those mirrors, do let me know, then we will try better options. We will take that decision when we meet this weekend.

3. The sprayed bolts will indeed look good, but I think they will shed paint when the spanner is used on them. Anyway, lets do it for now, it's a minor and easily replaceable item.

4. Avoid the after-market Sumo side-steps that are fabricated using black pipes for the frame and checker-plate for the step (or is it checker-paper?). The pipes are too flimsy to take even a small kid's weight, forget full-size adults. They will break too easily. The less said about the aluminium checker plate the better. Let's get a pair of steps as illustrated in the 2nd option i have given, they are very very common (saw them on dozens of Sumos in Pune), so shouldn't be too hard to procure.

5. With the side-glasses on, the beast is now starting to look complete. Since this has been done, I'm assuming the upholstery work is complete(?) Would like to see snaps of the same if possible.

What's with the masking tape on the corner of the glass? I hope sealant has been used liberally to prevent leakages.

6. Man, you sure gave me good news about the WagonR roof-rails! I always thought they were vanity items put there to enhance the look of the car, and not to serve any practical purpose. I now regret the time I hired a 3-wheeler tempo to haul a couple of full size Kurl-on bed mattresses I bought; my Waggy could easily have carried them on the roof.

@ mercedised:

Roof rails were provided as standard fitment by Tata on their export-version Sierra. I'm not sure if they were bolted on or pasted. I believe the Indian version never had roof-rails.

However, you will see a picture of a Sierra I have posted a few pages back, which had after-market roof-rails pasted on without bolts. I guess that is strictly for "show" and not for hauling luggage. Something very similar to the "roof-rails" we see on Maruti 800's and Altos.

P.S. The Sierra you have posted has roof-rails.

The gold in the theme you have presented looks gaudy, but that's my personal opinion. One issue with coloring the plastic wheel-arches is that they don't hold the paint as well as metal does, and it begins peeling off after a while. Besides, scratches and fender-benders being an everyday affair these days (atleast in crowded cities like Pune), maintaining that golden shade will be a big hassle. So stock black it is for the bumpers and wheel-arches.

OFF TOPIC: It is safer to use a proper roof-rack to carry luggage, rather than using the roof-rails directly. The roof-rails do not have any transverse rod or bar (across the width of the car) to secure the luggage longitudinally (rope goes from front to back or vice versa). Also, tying luggage on the roof significantly affects fuel efficiency, specially in tall SUVs. It also alters the handling and aerodynamic behavior of the car at high speeds on highways, which can be unsafe in certain situations.

- Bullitt.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 13:59   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post

It is safer to use a proper roof-rack to carry luggage, rather than using the roof-rails directly. The roof-rails do not have any transverse rod or bar (across the width of the car) to secure the luggage longitudinally (rope goes from front to back or vice versa). Also, tying luggage on the roof significantly affects fuel efficiency, specially in tall SUVs. It also alters the handling and aerodynamic behavior of the car at high speeds on highways, which can be unsafe in certain situations.
- Bullitt.
Hmmm.... Yes, a safer option is roof rack. But, I don't see any disadvantage in directly tying the luggage onto the roof rails. I have used them for trips of as low as 100kms to 10000kms continuously. And the mileage I got were 13-15kmpl on my Safari TCIC with 7 persons and speeds varying from 80kmph to 110kmph inside the car and the luggage tied onto the roof which really when seen in reality disturbed the aerodynamicity of the car. But, being practical it doesnoe makes a huge difference in mileage. Yes, one big disadvantage of not having a luggage rack is that it is a hectic job to tie luggage and than untie (alot of effort is needed to secure the luggage properly).

If you want I could post the pictures of luggage tied on the roof top of my Safari.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:46   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
... one big disadvantage of not having a luggage rack is that it is a hectic job to tie luggage and than untie (alot of effort is needed to secure the luggage properly)...
If you travel a lot with luggage on the roof, try to get your hands on one of these:

Name:  luggagenet1.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  12.3 KB
Name:  luggagenet2.jpg
Views: 2417
Size:  21.8 KB

It's called a "luggage net". Will save you a lot of hassle in tying and untying luggage. It also prevents any bag from flying off if it gets dislodged or comes loose.

- Bullitt.
Old 9th February 2011, 15:24   #259
BHPian

yessah massa bullit san the interior work is on its way to completion as are all the glass fittings ,the bumpers and the fibre wheel arches.
the orvms were extremely flimsy and would have broken if we tried to do any adjustments besides the internal adjustment of both the mirrors was non functional so i have returned them back.
scruff plates is something that will have to be fabricated as per your requirement will put you on to the aluminium moulding fellow then you decide.
awaiting the goods from kurla cst should come today will take it up from there.
the remaining rims will be painted tomorow the red on the bolts will show on the heads flat surface .
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-09022011048.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-09022011049.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-09022011050.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-09022011051.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-09022011052.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:08   #260
Senior - BHPian

@bullit:

Thanks for the help. I was really in the need of those nets. BTW, does one needs tobe having a roof rack for those nets tobe used?

@sierrakamat:

Nice work going there. What is the roof material made of? Is that the original one that came with the car or you sourced it? Are the wheel arches new or old?
Old 9th February 2011, 17:56   #261
BHPian

@Kamat saheb - Ek number kaam kelay tumhi gaadiche!! Hats off!!
@Jaydeep - U r one lucky dude man!!! Enjoy maadi!!

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 18:15   #262
BHPian

@ mercedised: I think you can use these nets even without a roof rack, just hook it up to the roof-rails of the car.

The interior material, both light-grey top and black bottom half, was purchased after-market on per meter basis. The original was fabric, fully black. The front wheel arches will be new, the rear ones (in the picture) are original (old).

@ Kaustubh: Saheb, looks like other non-auto pursuits have been keeping you busy these days.

I'm pretty excited looking at the beast now, just can't wait to see it "in the flesh". Sierrakamat is really the "doctor" for all "Tata Sierras"!!
Old 9th February 2011, 19:18   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
The interior material, both light-grey top and black bottom half, was purchased after-market on per meter basis. The original was fabric, fully black. The front wheel arches will be new, the rear ones (in the picture) are original (old).
Wow.. What material is that interior roof cover (could'nt remind the exact name) made off? And how did you managed to re-find those wheel arches? Are they available readily? at all TASC's.

Did you considered putting Safari seats into the Sierra?

@sierrakamat:
Would you mind doing another Sierra?

Last edited by mercedised : 9th February 2011 at 19:20.
Old 10th February 2011, 00:45   #264
BHPian

i wouldnt mind doing any number of sierras as long as the owner has less of say in the matter than the possesor.
please remember the sierra for me is a matter of the heart than some professional pursuit .
Old 10th February 2011, 00:57   #265
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

alloys being painted etheral white .have a surprise for store for bullit will reveal at the final stage .
please note my enthu is proportional to the passion of the registered owner so tass fans keep away
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-09022011055.jpg  

Old 10th February 2011, 08:55   #266
Senior - BHPian

@sierrakamat:

Thanks. Am tempted to buy a Sierra now. It is 2000 model and currently unused. The owner is selling it for 40,000 Rs.

I could imagine those alloys on a Red beauty.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:11   #267
BHPian

merchedised can you share the location and sellers name so maybe we can up the ante at 40k for a 2000 model it almost sounds like the fellow is giving you a dowry please check all the paper work thoroughly.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:16   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
merchedised can you share the location and sellers name so maybe we can up the ante at 40k for a 2000 model it almost sounds like the fellow is giving you a dowry please check all the paper work thoroughly.
Yes, for sure, the car is currently in Indore. Basically, it is unused from last 3-4 years and not even moved from where it was parked 3-4 years ago. The seller is a relative of mine from whom I recently purchased a Scorpio and the vehicle is used personally and has 56,000kms on the odo. So, at first glance of the vehicle one would say it as a SCRAP vehicle. The engine has not been started from 3-4 years. I am just going to inspect the vehicle thoroughly and than put my points here.

Offtopic: Could you PM me your FB or Gtalk ID.

Last edited by mercedised : 10th February 2011 at 11:19.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:52   #269
BHPian

@ mercedised:

1. I think that interior material is rexine. sierrakamat directed me to a few shops at CST Road, Kurla in Mumbai which sell this stuff wholesale. There you can find practically acres and acres of material, various textures, shades and colors in varying quality, all packed in rolls. Something like a "Suiting and Shirting" shop. You tell them what you need and how much, they cut it from the roll and give it to you. The stuff I bought has fine dots punched into it's surface in a matrix to make a fine texture, which you cannot make out in the picture. This stuff cost me 100 bucks a metre, 5 metres grey and 7 metres black set me back by 1200 bucks.

The wheel-arches were purchased from another shop in the same area. That entire area is a car-owners' mecca, especially those who own out-of-production cars like Sierra, Uno, Contessa etc. It looks like a street full of scrapyards, but any car part under the sun can be found and bought there, given sufficient time and patience.

2. TASS will never be able to supply those parts which are specific to outdated models like the Sierra and Estate, though there is a TASS in Aundh, Pune (Balaji Motors) which specializes in these 2 cars. Their charges cost a bomb though. I prefer the Kurla market sierrakamat showed me, anyday.

3. Safari seats are not suitable for the Sierra, since they need to have the "slide and fold forward" mechanism to allow ingress/egress to the rear sofa seat. The closest and only match is the 7-seater Innova's 2nd row seat, which has this mechanism to allow access to the third row. Those too, will cost a bomb.

The levers on both my seats were broken, sierrakamat is getting them repaired. Works out cheaper than buying Innova seats.

4. I fully vouch for what sierrakamat says. I have just left the beast at his doorstep, he's the one calling all the shots. But he is good at what he does. Sometimes I may not fully agree with some decisions he makes, for example sealing the fresh air vents shut to prevent rusting of the engine firewall. But then, he has been through 5 Sierras and I am sure that he has tried a lot of things, and his experience dictates that this is the only solution. So be it.

5. Is the Sierra you are looking at a Turbo or NA version? Mine is a 1999 Turbo, acquired it for 90K.

If it is an NA model, 40K may be the right price. It all depends on the overall condition of the vehicle, especially the body. 3-4 years in our unkind weather can really ruin a car if left outside.

If it is a Turbo, 40K looks like a throwaway price. Most Turbo's of that vintage in decent shape retail for anything between 80K to 1.2K, depending on overall condition and location. You can confirm this on the internet classifieds.

In any case, do take along a competent mechanic to do a thorough analysis of the vehicle. Since the car hasn't been started for 3-4 years, you do not have the luxury of even firing up the engine, forget a test drive. You might end up spending tons of greens trying to get it back into shape.

When I bought my beast, sierrakamat was kind enough to provide me with a mechanic who could do a thorough inspection of the vehicle, including a test drive. I bought the vehicle based on his inputs.

Be absolutely sure before you take the plunge. The Sierra is known to become bottomless money-pit if you end up with a lemon. So be careful. My instinct and gut feeling tells me that you should stay away from this 3-4 yrs unused "SCRAP" vehicle, as you call it. You can find better "running condition" Sierras on the market, which will cost a little more to acquire, but lesser to do up.

The rest is up to you. All the best with your purchase. Hope to see one more Team-BHPian hop on to the Tata Sierra band-wagon soon.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 10th February 2011 at 13:00.
Old 13th February 2011, 18:16   #270
BHPian

i must admit that bullit is a keen and willing pupil who is learning the ropes of restoration at a cut price.it is not easy to move away from the confines of your airconditioned office and roam the streets of the scrap yard under the scorching sun stepping over things you never knew existed and then pasting a huge grin on your self when you find the "ultimate "deal.
we found a sierra being scrapped which has pristine interiors and bullit shot out and grabbed all he could take at throw away prices kudos to him for the enthusiasm shown reminded me of myself 5 years back ,thanks man for letting me relive the best parts of my life.
merchendiser if you are keen on the standing still sierra please take a very reliable mechanic or else you are looking at a bill of at least 2 lac to restore it "what comes with the dowry is hundred times more expensive than the dowry itself"
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-11022011059.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-11022011064.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-11022011063.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-12022011069.jpg