Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th February 2011, 18:38   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

^^^ One of the most clean Sierra's I have seen till now. Some points I would like to bring into light of owner:

1) Why not go for complete new headlight set? Everything on the vehicle is good except old looking front and rear lights.

2) Why not install side foot rest, it will further help the passengers to climb and get into the vehicle and will also gel with the body of Sierra.

3) Why not a single paint job for whole vehicle? mean Painting of bumpers and side wheel arches too to the color of car?

I know it is too late to make points now but I like to put honest opinions.

About the Sierra Turbo 2000 model, I have already owned a Sierra 1991 model some years back. The car had 3Lakh kms on odo (without engine rebuild and any changes to the car) when we sold it. So, I have an idea how it feel and HOLES one's pocket if a Sierra goes bad. Have got 2000 model Sierra checked it needs an overhaul (not engine, but everything else needs tobe calibrated again as the vehicle is unmoved from years) as per mechanic.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 18:53   #272
BHPian

just off the topic but i found this very ingenious solution to car security issues a foldable pedal lock designed by the genius in the photograph.goes to show necessity is the mother of invention
sorry mods didnt know where to post this and didnt want to insult the guys work by posting in wacky mod jobs
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-11022011067.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-11022011066.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-11022011068.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 20:45   #273
BHPian

mercendiser can you post the photograph the sierra you are about to buy?
the work on bullits sierra is nearing completion and yes the tail lights and headlights are going to be new as is the side step which will be the last thing to go on the vehicle
will keep you guys updated.
hey saptarshi where art thou and vaze buva why arnt you here.
Old 14th February 2011, 15:30   #274
BHPian

@ Doctor - Jhakkas. Amazing work. Congratulations on a job well done. First and foremost I need the 4X4 and engine transplant. But mostly after the this summer (need car for transport)
@Bullitt/@Doctor - How much did you guys end up spending?

The car looks out of the world.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 09:23   #275
BHPian

total spend er um lets just say that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole part will give exact figures once the job is completed.
finally with the electrician at work the sierra sees the light of the day.
today she goes for new seats and film the new dashboard requires the ac wiring to be redone so thats another headache.i think that by thursday she should be on the last legs of completion and friday or saturday will go for final polish.
the bosch pump needs to be tweaked as there is a lot of knocking when you rev hard with hardly any pick up will lok into that.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-14022011072.jpg  

Old 15th February 2011, 12:44   #276
BHPian

@ sierrakamat: I really enjoyed the entire Kurla episode we went through this weekend. I wouldn't mind doing it all over again, it was good fun.

My heart sank for that poor Sierra that was broken though, it really is sad to see a car that you love being broken in front of your very eyes. I guess the least we can do is salvage whatever parts we can out of that vehicle. May God bless it's soul. Amen.

-> Lets get the upholstery guy to wrap up his work. He needs to do the new seat covers (same black and faint grey matching covers, as discussed), the 2 side pieces in the driver and passenger footwells, and the rear passenger grab handles. Once he is out of the picture things will be easier.

-> I'm glad to see that the wireman is back and doing what he does best. Please make sure even the smallest electrical knick-knack in the car is working again, upto showroom specs. The engine-bay lamp, the map-reading lamp in the front passenger footwell (already working, needs cleaning), the red door warning lamps, the roof light in the boot, the cigarette lighter, rear wipers and spray, rear number-plate lamps... everything will make this baby sparkle.

-> We also need to fit an after-market high-mounted brake lamp just behind the rear glass.

-> Of the 4 switches on the (old) dashboard adjacent to the steering, the 2 on the left are original. The ones on the right are not and need to be replaced. Please use the original ones from the dashboard we acquired in Kurla the other day.

-> The 2 screws on top of the speedometer housing (of the replacement dashboard) have 2 tiny rectangular covers that camouflage them, please ask the wireman to carefully preserve those. They get misplaced too easily.

-> Try to keep a couple of days handy, during which I suggest you keep the car for yourself and drive it around. This will help identify any mechanical issues that the car may have developed during this extended period of disuse. The front suspension is one of them.

-> The fuel pump does need looking into, servicing perhaps?

-> The A/C cooling has increased after re-filling the gas, but it is still not satisfactory enough. One thing I noticed is that it never cuts off, the compressor is always running. I think this is an indication that the cabin temperature is not reducing enough for the thermostat to cut off the compressor. Lets take another look at it once the fuel pump issue is solved.

-> Do let me know what options we have in sunfilm, would like to go for good heat-reducing ones to keep the sun and heat out. This will also help the AC perform better.

I must admit, I admire the ingenuity of the guy who designed that "anti-theft device". Such a simple and dirt-cheap solution to a complex problem. Car thieves today are so sophisticated, they can easily beat fancy stuff like steering locks, gear locks and engine immobilizers in seconds. But good old stuff like hardened steel and pad-locks are still tough to bypass, and breaking them is a noisy and time-consuming affair. I think car thieves would never be prepared to see a "Godrej" padlock inside the car, the expression on their faces would be simply priceless. I think would choose to abandon the car and leave rather than waste time trying to break this stuff. A "shutter lock" instead of the ordinary pad-lock will make this even tougher to crack, just my 2 cents. Good one.

Reminds me of a certain Mr.Bean episode, here it is. Watch @2:30 onwards.

@ mercedised: I appreciate direct inputs. They help me take better decisions.

1. As sierrakamat mentioned, the headlights will be replaced. We had a tough time trying to find the original 2 color Sierra Turbo tail-lamps. As you can see, the rear bumper lamps are new. We are still trying hard to find those upper tail-lamps, if we find them we will replace them, else we will have to make do with the ones we have. In case you have access to a pair of these tail-lamps, let me know. I might buy them if we are not able to find them in Mumbai.

2. The Safari-type footrests have been arranged courtesy a good friend who works in TML, haven't found time yet to pick them up. These will be fitted onto the car once I get my hands on them. I have also asked for a pair of Sumo Victa ORVMs along with that.

3. As previously mentioned, the plastic wheel-arches do not hold the paint as well as the metal body/bumper can, it will eventually peel off and look bad. Besides, dents and scratches are a daily affair in Pune. With body colored bumpers and wheel-arches, the Sierra will look horrible after a few days. Also, black is the stock color on these parts, so black it is. Easier for me to do minor touch-up jobs in case of scratches too.

Do post pictures of the 2000 Sierra you have under consideration. We are curious.

@ kaustubh: Hey man, we thought you vanished into thin air after the Mumbai trip. Looks like your agricultural activities have been keeping you rather busy these days. Good to know that you like my now re-born Sierra. sierrakamat and I are still working out the damages, lets just hope I have some loose change left over to fill diesel in the monster so that i can bring it back home once sierrakamat has finished me... ahem... I mean... is finished "with" me.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 15th February 2011 at 12:46.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 16:20   #277
BHPian

@ Doc Kamat: I was out of Mumbai for 10 days. Checking this thread after some time and seems like I have missed out on a lot of the action already. Looks like a lot of time and effort has been spent by you guys. Great job. Let me k now when bullit takes delivery, you take a break and are then ready for the next Sierra project

@bullit: The Sierra looks awesome ! Am sure you are looking forward to actually driving back this weekend. Let me know when you headed this side and I will come over to the garage. For the rear lamps try Shetty motors.

@ mercedised: update some pics. Want to see the condition of a 40,000 Sierra turbo!
Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 21:53   #278
Senior - BHPian

@all:

I will post the pictures of the car. I donot have them now, but I will. This will take sometime as I am too busy in my upcoming foreign trips.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 18:52   #279
BHPian

bullit if all goes according to plan how can we call it a sierra .
GOOD NEWS=film done seats done awesome looks will post pics tomorow new dash installed new headlights installed interior cleaning done now the top finally looks white.the ac wiring redone to go with the new dash.
BAD NEWS= the electrian working on the car was a replacement just to get everything going .just not able to find the right door switches also my regular guy is still stuck in his GAO doing the things that they do in the GAO. so the detailing of the electric work is giving me a ulcer .
just came back from a two day trip to devgad so will jump back into the electrical wires infested sierra from tomorow .
Old 17th February 2011, 21:09   #280
BHPian

@Dr. Kamat - Nice way to put it.
@Bullitt - Gaadi aanayla kadhi janar aahes?

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 12:41   #281
BHPian

@ sierrakamat:

The last mile is always the longest Sir!!! Lets hope we can wrap it all up in one fine package on Sunday.

More than the door switches and the rear wash/wipe, we need to sort out the engine/fuel pump issues and the A/C cooling issue. Lets try to sort these out with the Mulund fellow on Sunday.

I also talked to Kiran, he said the papers should be ready by then. So hopefully I can finish off this entire business on Sunday itself.

Do put up some nice inside/outside pictures of the clean and complete beast Sir, you have fueled my curiosity enough already...

@ kaustubh_vaze:

Hya Raviwari jaycha vichar ahey.

- Bullitt.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 15:48   #282
BHPian

for a change everything is on schedule except the door switches.vehicle has been sent for the pump and tappet adjustments.
as promised here are the pics of the interior and the exterior with the garware sun control applied to all the glasses.
should go for final polish and clean up tomorow.
decided against the aluminium mud flap as they may cause serious injury to someone even if you just brush past them wil decide on which to use once bullit comes into the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-18022011074.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-18022011075.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-18022011077.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-18022011079.jpg  

Old 19th February 2011, 20:27   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, interior is looking nice.

Question reg the grille. Have you guys thought abt taking out the horizontal slats and putting in a mesh ?

If you do do that, then you can add aux lights inside the grille. Have seen this set up in Ford F series trucks. And looks neat & tucked away inside.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 09:18   #284
BHPian

the mesh would indeed look good but putting the aux lights in there would disturb the air flow to the radiator and going by my experience all tata products are "heat sensitive" and the vehicle would most definately overheat at some pointas the radiator fan is not thermostat controlled .
Old 20th February 2011, 09:29   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sierra Kamat, may not be so bad. By removing the stock grille & putting in a mesh, we are already allowing a freer passage for air to the radiator. Using a Hella 500FF (not 700FF), may block some air, but it will be compensated atleast to some extent by the new mesh grille.

After doing these two, if you still feel the cooling is affected, then you can still remove the lamps and have a good looking Sierra !

Kai manto ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote