Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th February 2011, 20:55   #286
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

the journey comes to an end and the beast is ready to roar.
final polish done she now can really fill any rear view mirror
the BRASS logo of days of yore
bullit congratulations for the new sierra
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-20022011083.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-20022011084.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-20022011086.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-20022011081.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-20022011080.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-11022011059.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 23:16   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
the journey comes to an end and the beast is ready to roar.
Looks good!

Your wheels are jutting out a little bit. Is the wheel offset different on these alloys. without mudflaps, you might have muck sprayed on the sides of your car.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 07:45   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Bull bar ?

The truck's looking good after all that work which went in. Just one point though: I think the bull bar is not matching the looks of the truck. Seems to be distracting / out of place. Have you tried any other bull-bar ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 09:06   #289
BHPian

i wanted to remove the bull bar alltogethr but bullit wants it to stay and the mudflaps with sierra written on them are in the pipeline will fit them as and when available and the wheels are jutting out due to the alloys.
Old 21st February 2011, 11:34   #290
BHPian

Aai Shappath!!!
Ek number jhaaliye gaadi......Dr. Kamat - I am loving it man!!!
@Jaydeep - Is the car already back with you? 2 divsaan sathi exchange karuya.....

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:55   #291
BHPian

jaydeep has the car will be recalled after 15 dys for electrical work which is pending . kaustubh why dont you come to mumbai with your sierra it desperately needs a makeover.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:40   #292
BHPian

A-ha! Looks like a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since I last posted on Friday. Had taken the day off yesterday, so didn't log in. Anyway, here goes...

@ condor:

I have seen a few pictures of Sierras with mesh grilles (there was one TN Sierra too in TBHP Classifieds), I must say I don't fancy that stuff. It obscures the originality. I was hoping to go for the new 207 grille, but it won't fit as the mounts are different. So the original stays there, with a new monogram (saved some money too).

Besides, I don't think theres space in there to fit fog lamps. It's pretty cramped, because the AC condensor fan sits right behind the grille. And as sierrakamat rightly stated, even if we do manage to fit fogs in there, they will probably hinder the cooling efficiency.

I do want aux/fog lamps, and nice big ones at that (in due course, more on that later). But why hide them inside the grille? Let them sit outside for the world to see, mounted on a nice chunky bullbar (the current one is cow manure, came with the car). Fitting fogs behind a grille will also reduce their illumination.

@ Mpower:

Bingo! The offset on the alloys is different. You hit the nail on the head. The muck was, and still is, a Major Payne. So if you could please inform me about a General Solution, I promise I will not keep it a Private Secret.

So far, I and sierrakamat see that those huge black mud-flaps with "sparco" written on them (commonly found on Sumo taxis) are the best and most cost-effective answer. If you can suggest a better and sober one, I will be more than happy to try it out.

@ sierrakamat:

It was fun working with you dude!

Its amazing how much a little "elbow grease" can teach you about maintaining a Sierra. Overall, a very good experience.

Now, the specifics. The front suspension seems to be an area of concern. The front shocks groan everytime the car goes over a hump. If this is done at bit higher speeds, the tyre touches the fender. I suspect the front shocks have packed up, but not too sure. I think the offset alloys are also responsible for the tyre hitting the fender. Needs looking into.

Apparently, the painter forgot to polish one side of the car, the one that was away from us! Don't blame him though, it was late in the evening and we rushed him into it. Do let me know what materials he used, I'll use one of these lazy weekend afternoons, if I can find one, to finish the job. Else we can get it done during the next round, when I come to Mumbai for the electricals.

Shifting into overdrive (5th gear) is a strange issue. Whenever I try to shift from 4th to 5th, the stick resists slotting in and stays at the neutral line. But if I shift from 3rd to 5th, it slots in smoothly. Wierd, I say. Any clues?

I will try and get the fuel pump and injectors serviced here itself. There are quite a few Bosch service centres around who can do the job.

Lets see how things go. I will continue updating this thread as and when I observe anything.

Now that I have spent all my cash, lets sit this out a few days. Round two is dedicated for electricals and accessories.

Keep watching this space, and keep posting.

- Bullitt.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:25   #293
BHPian

@sierrakamat and @bullit: Great job done guys.

Finally my Sierra can now be handed over to Doctor Sahib. Bullit please dont bother Doc kamat for the next one month atleast !!

- Paint job
- Seal the channels above the door
- Interior: Door pads, plastics for the door lock and the music system
- Head lights, gear knob, ac vent and front grill

Doc whenever you are free
Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:40   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
jaydeep has the car will be recalled after 15 dys for electrical work which is pending . kaustubh why dont you come to mumbai with your sierra it desperately needs a makeover.
@Doc - Again - Nice work on the Sierra. I agree with you. But right now, I dont want to make her go under the knife. I need her in the coming days for transportation. Once the season is done, she will be all yours. We can then sit and decide how to go about the makeover.
A list that I have right now:
1. Seal top channels
2. Engine + GB (toyota)
3. Paint
4. Tyres

BTW - I think the starter has conked off on my Sierra. Yesterday I tried to start her and received only a "KHAT" in return. Nothing else.
The battery is brand new so no problem there.

Also money is a big issue right now. I dont have the dough to make all these changes.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:02   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
@ Mpower:
Bingo! The offset on the alloys is different. You hit the nail on the head. The muck was, and still is, a Major Payne. So if you could please inform me about a General Solution, I promise I will not keep it a Private Secret.
You have you get those large mudflaps that stick out from the sides of the vehicle and go up higher. (maybe remove them after monsoons). Expensive solution is to get/fabricate larger fender flares.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 09:06   #296
BHPian

bullit those tyres sticking out is the reason for them scraping the fibre .
it is not possible for the painter to have polished only one side of the vehicle .
just use the vehicle for about 15 days you will have a new list of "things to do " we will sort it out including the fip repair at that point of time.because i dont want to be redoing some thing which has not been done right the first time around like your suspension overhaul done at pune.
every one now wants the channels to be filled up .
Saptarshi take some time off make a list and then we will go ahead with your car as and when you want it to be done the sooner the better.
regarding the mudflaps still trying to source ones with sierra written on them.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:35   #297
BHPian

@ Mpower: Those are the ones I was referring to as "Sumo taxi mud-flaps". Usually found in orange and red. Here's a close resemblance I found using Google (pic courtesy francispd.blogspot.com):

Name:  tata_sierra_mud_flap.jpg
Views: 3332
Size:  27.0 KB

Will try to source a set in black.

@ sierrakamat:

Strange but true. The driver side and bonnet are clean and gleaming. But the passenger side of the Sierra still has the swirl marks from the fine sandpaper that was used. Will post pics of the same.

I already have a long enough list of to-do's for the next round. I will try to get the FIP/injectors serviced in Pune, have already located a Bosch ASC for the same.

The front suspension issue has emerged only recently, in the last 2 weeks before delivery. The first time we noticed it was on the Vashi trip to Sai's garage for the seats. It wasn't there before that. I guess one whole month of standing in the garage has taken its toll on the shocks. After all, they are old.

The guy who did the suspension job didn't replace the shocks saying that they were good enough. He just replaced the entire bush kit and one ball joint. But I guess their age finally gave them away. I will get it checked in Pune and take a call. If required, I will get them replaced. Not a very expensive job.

I guess the roof channel sealing job is indeed a very popular mod on the Sierra. You should consider patenting the procedure.

Do let me know if you come across those mud-flaps. Else we will just go for the one's Mpower suggested.

- Bullitt.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:58   #298
BHPian

Bullit as discussed Here is the pics for the Auto cops and Central locking installation.

The rear and passenger door central locking had stopped locking after the last rains. They would open when I open the main door though. This meant that each time I open the main door the rear door opens. And I had to manually lock it everytime.

Anyway, So I replaced the locking mechanism for all the doors and installed Autocops. There is some jugaad that has to be done though. Have attached photos of the wire/rod that is moulded by the Autocops guy to attach it to the existing rod of the door. This had to be done for all doors.

Cost was approx Rs 3500 including the Autocops with 2 remotes.

The door swith which also connects to the lights on the doors was defective. So one thing pending is repair of that. Once that is done, opening the doors without switching off the auto cops will also trigger the alarm. The autocops have promised to get it done once I repair the door switches.

@ sierra kamat: My entire list is ready for the work I want to get done. Hopefully see you tommorow.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-img00457201101211534.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-img00458201101211536.jpg  

Last edited by Saptarshi B : 23rd February 2011 at 14:01.
Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:48   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Bullit as discussed Here is the pics for the Auto cops and Central locking installation.

The rear and passenger door central locking had stopped locking after the last rains. They would open when I open the main door though. This meant that each time I open the main door the rear door opens. And I had to manually lock it everytime.

Anyway, So I replaced the locking mechanism for all the doors and installed Autocops. There is some jugaad that has to be done though. Have attached photos of the wire/rod that is moulded by the Autocops guy to attach it to the existing rod of the door. This had to be done for all doors.

Cost was approx Rs 3500 including the Autocops with 2 remotes.

The door swith which also connects to the lights on the doors was defective. So one thing pending is repair of that. Once that is done, opening the doors without switching off the auto cops will also trigger the alarm. The autocops have promised to get it done once I repair the door switches.

@ sierra kamat: My entire list is ready for the work I want to get done. Hopefully see you tommorow.
Thanks for the info Saptarshi. I guess the moulded rod "jugaad" is probably a standard procedure to be done on all Sierras/Estates when Autocop is installed.

Did the Autocop guys themselves fix the central locking mechanism for you? Or did you get it done from TASC/elsewhere? I'm asking because I was wondering where they got hold of the motor and other required parts. Sierrakamat mentioned that the original TATA ones are no longer available.

The door switch is a common pain point. Only one door switch on my Sierra survives. They seem to be hard to find, but I have a feeling that the 207 probably uses this, as the door design is nearly identical. You might want to try Shetty Motors/Opera House for procuring it. If you find it, do let me know, I am interested in getting a pair too.

- Bullitt.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:24   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, the Safari type side foot-rest is quoted at 3.9k each side at TASS. If you are checking outside, can you let me know the cost of one piece - I am looking for the right side unit. Thanks.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote