Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd February 2011, 15:58   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@ condor:

I was quoted 5.6K for the pair (new) at a dingy shop named "City Motors" at CST Road, Kurla, Mumbai (equivalent of Bangalore "gujri"). If a single piece is available and being offered, you will probably get it at exactly half that much, i.e. ~2.8K.

You might want to try those famous "gujris" in Bangalore for a cheaper deal. Else, ping the Mumbai guys, sierrakamat and Saptarshi. They might be able to help you in procuring one from there.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 23rd February 2011 at 16:00.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:19   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, thanks. I already have a word out for the stuff here in BLR. I am not sure if I want a brand new one, but definitely need to replace the damaged unit on my Sumo.

@SierraKamat & Saptarshi - can you pls let me know if you see any of these. Am looking for the grey & black fibre covered foot rest.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:45   #303
BHPian

@ condor: Just curious. Are both the foot-rests identical? In the sense, can they be swapped? Or are they "Left Side" and "Right Side" specific?
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:20   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, I am not sure - I need to check on that. It does look identical, though.

At the moment, the one on my right side is damaged. Hence the need for a replacement piece.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:51   #305
BHPian

@bullit: Yes. I did the fittment from Autocops. It took more than 3 hours. They will send their technician to wherever the car is parked. So ths installation was done in my office parking lot.

@condor: I will be starting work on my Sierra from today and will be taking a few trips to Kurla for sure. Will keep a lookout for the footrest and will let you know.
Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 09:31   #306
BHPian

after much deliberation and rethinking various permutations and combination finally saptarshi is finally taking the plunge.
the brief is to keep costs to a minimum the plan is to paint the vehicle matt black lets see how she shapes up.starting work today.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:28   #307
BHPian

Hoorah!

All the best to you and your ride, Saptarshi!

Matte black is one of my favorites, would love to see the beast in that color. I'm thinking the outcome will be something like this:

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-matte_black_sierra.jpg

Throw in a set of matte black alloys with chrome lips, a chrome-accentuated front grille, brushed aluminium side-steps, white LED light strips and a few chrome tidbits here 'n' there (don't overdo it though), and you just got yourself a YO-mobile! Something like this one here:

Name:  matte_black_bmw.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  61.8 KB

Pic courtesy: www.qrbiz.com

And oh, please don't forget a nice thumping sound system with subs, to shake up the traffic!

- Bullitt.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:28   #308
BHPian

Thanks guys. The idea of the Matt Black is to keep the costs lower. And it looks good too. Bullit the BMW looks amazing. Though it might be a tough ask for the painter to get this finish !!

Doc Kamat: Thanks for taking out the time and working out my budget. Will keep the Sierra for the next 2-3 years atleast. So can spend this bit for now.

Will be there on Saturday. Hopefully the body work is done by then !

Bullit: When are you taking your next trip over to Mumbai ?
Kaustubh: Where have you disappeared ? Any developments on the 4x4 Sierra project ?
Old 10th March 2011, 14:25   #309
BHPian

Hey guys,
Have been busy for the past few days. The only thing on my mind right now is the 4X4 conversion. But that will happen after 2 months. Summer will see the car parked in my hometown Malvan where it will be used for transport duties. Once she gets free, I will surely take up the conversion.

@Jaydeep - Show me your car dude. We can meet up sometime over the weekend.
@Saptarishi - All the best with your restoration. Matt black will look good. Though I would want the original super white on my car and nothing else.
Keep posting the WIP pics man. They serve as a lot of inspiration for me.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 09:28   #310
BHPian

the matt black sierra was posted by me earlier and was done about 3 years back .with the red bull at my disposal i am going to do a combo of matt and jet black .
jaydeep please let me know whether you are coming on saturday get vaze buva along
work on the red sierra has started and the tin work should be done by sat .
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 12:54   #311
BHPian

@ sierrakamat :

I'm having a hard time imagining what a combo of matte and jet black would look like. Where do you plan on dividing it? Window-sill, the line just below it or the line above the skirt? And which color on top, matte or gloss?

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-sierraside1.jpg

Looks like my plans for a Mumbai trip this weekend have been nixed; there's some renovation work going on at my parents' home where I will have to lend a helping hand. Since the next weekend is a "Holi" weekend, it stands ruled out too. Hopefully, the weekend of 26-27 might be free, but its too early to predict. After that I have another busy weekend on 2-3-4 April. It looks like my family is taking revenge on me for spending all those weekends away from them while we were working on my car.

All in all, I am assuming that my next trip to Mumbai will probably happen in mid-April, any chances of it happening before that look bleak.

Lets hope that Saptarshi's Sierra is also done up by then, in the meantime do post some pics of the WIP.

@ kaustubh : You are most welcome to come and see the car anytime man. I will drop you a line if I manage to find some free time this weekend, we can meet up then.

- Bullitt.
Old 11th March 2011, 13:57   #312
BHPian

Bullit: The plan (as of now) is to paint the jet black between the 2nd and the 3rd (from top) arrows. That 8-10 inch is what doctor recommends will look good for the jet black.

Am taking some inspiration on the interiors from your Sierra though my budgeted is limited now compared to the plans I earlier had !!
Old 11th March 2011, 15:54   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I'm having a hard time imagining what a combo of matte and jet black would look like. Where do you plan on dividing it? Window-sill, the line just below it or the line above the skirt? And which color on top, matte or gloss?
Can you do a photo-shop of that ? Either opion #2 or # - that is, if you really want to do it.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:34   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can you do a photo-shop of that ? Either opion #2 or # - that is, if you really want to do it.
I would love to do the PS job if I could man, but I have never used PS in my life; therefore, given my PS skills, I'm sure Dr. Kamat's painters will be able to deliver the real and convincing thing well before my PS job!

I did use MS Paint on that chop-top Sierra above to get an approximation. Lets just say you don't want to see my artistic side... I didn't either, which is why i didn't save the file.

Lets just wait and see the results, till then let Dr. Kamat crank up the suspense with a few WIP pics. What say?

Till then, I'll try and take a few Photoshop lessons, so I'll be ready when Kaustubh's car comes up for painting ;-)

Guys,

Check out this new thread that popped up recently, another nice Tata Sierra restoration.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...enovation.html (Project Sierra Renovation)

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 11th March 2011 at 16:37.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:37   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Lets just say you don't want to see my artistic side... I didn't either, which is why i didn't save the file.
Looks like you did not save the file, and may be saved your life ..

If you do the double -paint job, try for #3. But I would prefer a single color.