Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th April 2011, 17:27   #331
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@ condor: Yes, this logo comes quite close to the one I was talking about, but as you said, this is not the exact one. The only difference was that instead of the outer ring being cut in 2 places to form an 'S', the ring was complete.

You can buy the Sierra's front grille Telco logo with the squarish 'T' brand new from the spares market. Pretty cheap too (80 bucks is what i paid for it IIRC).

The brass Tata Engineering logo with the red ring might also be available, but I'm not sure. Years ago, when I was a school kid, one of my prized possessions was a big Tata Engineering brass logo which I had stolen from a Tata bus radiator lid (I used to collect automobile logos at the time ). No idea where it is now.

Name:  tata_engg_logo.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  139.6 KB
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 09:04   #332
BHPian

now we all know who started this logo flicking business.
bullit the logo which you have posted is the same as the one on your car only thing the red color was lost with the passage of times also saptarshi would prefer you call the color "innova mettalic grey" rather than original "tata estate grey".
the seats will remain untouched as they are in good nick.
VAZE my operation theatre is all fumigated and ready awaiting your car for plastic surgery.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 11:44   #333
BHPian

@ sierrakamat:

I'm not sure if I was the "pioneer" of the logo flicking business, but I do have a disclaimer:

I had no commercial interests in flicking automobile logos, and I definitely did not sell any of my ill-gotten possessions to any auto-rickshaw owner/driver.

You are right about the bonnet logo on the Sierra, the only difference is that the logo from the bus was about 5x bigger. It was this one:

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-yk_426.jpg

Lets just call it Tata Sierra metallic grey, after all, that unfortunate Kurla Sierra was of the same color too. One good thing is, nobody will think its repainted, since this was also a factory stock shade.

@ Saptarshi: You will need to get the new color endorsed by the RTO.

Over to Vaze buva...

Last edited by Bullitt : 12th April 2011 at 11:48.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:03   #334
BHPian

@Kamat saheb - Gaadi ekdam jhakkas paltiye but with a/c, the engine starts heating up. Can we install a bigger/better aluminium radiator in the Sierra? That should solve most of my problems.
And regarding the plastic surgery, we should meet and talk. I am coming to Mumbai on 21st. Will give you a ring and we can meet up sometime in the afternoon.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 13:10   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

@Kaustubh, can you use the Sumo Victa TCIC's radiator ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 13:53   #336
BHPian

My apologies for the noobie question, but why would operating the A/C cause the engine temperature to rise? What is the exact relation between the A/C (compressor, I believe that would be the "culprit" here) and the engine temperature?

I know the compressor is hitched to the engine by means of a belt, and when switched on, results in additional load on the engine. This load is compensated by the FICD, which increases the RPM of the engine (at idle).

But when the A/C is off, the engine does run at higher RPMs even under normal driving conditions, in fact higher than the difference the FICD makes (approx 200-300 RPM). And it does not overheat (as concluded from Kaustubh's post).

In that case, how would the miniscule increase in RPMs by the A/C cause the engine to heat up? Am I missing something?

In Kaustubh's case, how would a bigger and/or better (aluminium?) radiator help, assuming that his current stock radiator/fan is in good nick, and coolant levels are well maintained? In my opinion, that would be ignoring the root cause of what is causing the overheating problem in the first place, and applying a bandage to keep the temperature down (I may be wrong).

@ condor: Is the TCIC Victa's radiator any different from the Sierra's (aluminium perhaps)? I am assuming it uses the same radiator that my TCIC Sierra has (?) Though Kaustubh's Sierra is N/A, I am guessing (out on a limb) that all Sierra's used the same radiator, since the base engine was the same. Your thoughts?

@ Kaustubh: 22nd is a holiday, it's Good Friday. Are you going to Mumbai on 21st or 22nd? If it's the latter, I might accompany you.

- Bullitt.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:34   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, re-checked with my SA. He said it's different. So check it out ..
Old 19th April 2011, 14:52   #338
BHPian

@ condor: That was fast! Interesting find though, did your SA clarify what the differences are? Is it an aluminium radiator? If the difference is just the shape/dimensions (owing to the difference in engine bays) and nothing else, then I don't think it would make much difference.

I still think we still need to isolate and eliminate the root cause of the overheating, rather than try to counter it with a larger radiator. After all, the stock radiator was doing it's job well all these years.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 19th April 2011 at 14:57.
Old 19th April 2011, 16:41   #339
BHPian

@Bullitt - The Sierra NA engine is plagued with overheating problems from the start. There are many builds I have seen where the owner has changed the Radiator to a bigger better one to resolve this issue to an extent. So having the radiator changed was on my mind.
@Condor - I will check out if a Sumo Victa radiator fits in.

The Sierra Doctor needs to be visited. Let me see if I can conjure up a bigger engine out of him. If thats done, then out goes plastic surgery and in comes a heart transplant!!

Therefore, a bigger radiator should resolve the "overheating" problems.

@Jaydeep - No man, I have to go on the 21st to meet up some guys in Mumbai. Therefore 21st. Can you join me on the 21st?

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 19th April 2011, 17:09   #340
BHPian

@ kaustubh: Sorry mate, I'm working on the 21st. For radiators, you can try this place called "Lawrence Radiators" in Mumbai. Its listed in the Team-BHP directory.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...rs-mumbai.html (Radiators - Lawrence Radiators (Mumbai))

I am trying to put together a plan for this long weekend, the electrical work in my beast has been pending for too long. But I'm not sure if my bank account can take the damage, just yet. Come April, and the bills for property tax, society maintenance, mental disturbance, insanity-ation tax etc. etc. start magically sliding in from under the door and cleaning up the bank. Still haven't found that ATM from which one can withdraw unlimited sums of money, do let me know if you come across it somewhere. Just PM the location, stuff like that shouldn't be broadcasted on a public forum.

P.S. Last heard, it was spotted somewhere in Mumbai, some place called "Adarsh Society"

Last edited by Bullitt : 19th April 2011 at 17:12.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:31   #341
BHPian

@Bullitt -Nice one!! Lets go and get the Adarsh Soc. ATM to Pune.
Well, that ATM thingy is stopping me from going all out with the Sierra mods man.
I will discuss a few minor things with Doc and then hand over the Sierra to him.

Regrads,
Kaustubh
Old 19th April 2011, 20:29   #342
BHPian

Great to see you doing up the car, a word of advice,if it is still possible ask the tinker to add the attachment to open the fuel lid from inside the car itself its a very minor mod that is quite so helpful. you can get an original tata kit for that. i have got it done in my sierra.

Nothing else comes to mind though.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 08:45   #343
BHPian

copper radiator with more lines is the way to go.
the ac causing overheating due to increased load on the engine may be the pistons rings are worn out or the current radiator is clogged .
there is a mettalic blue colored 1999 turbo sierra available at vashi owner asking for 1.25 lacs the vehicle is in good shape and original paint with a gem of a engine vaze suggest you buy that vehicle instead of spending on your current ride.
kaustubh if you are coming on good friday be a good boy and let me know on terrible thursday about your plans.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 10:51   #344
BHPian

@ abhishek2222: Thanks for the suggestion, I would really like to get this done, as I have to maintain 2 keys for this purpose.

About the fuel lid, did you use the Tata Sumo Victa kit for this purpose?

I am assuming you also replaced the original fuel lid, since it has a hole for the lock. Or did you just weld the hole shut and repaint it?

How much do these items cost? And what did the complete conversion cost you?

TIA.

@ sierrakamat:

Take a look at the following pics, any ideas how these dashboards changed color? They look pretty cool (ok, maybe not the brown one). I don't think they were just painted, 'coz dashboards take a lot of "handling" and scratches, I'm sure it would end up looking bad pretty soon. Your thoughts?

Name:  sierra_beige_interior.jpg
Views: 5085
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  sierra_brown_interior.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  19.5 KB

Name:  sierra_white_interior.jpg
Views: 5464
Size:  43.4 KB

@ kaustubh:

Check out this ride man, you gotta make yours look something like this. I'm sure the color scheme might not be to everyone's liking, but it does look good to me.

Name:  cool_sierra.jpg
Views: 2591
Size:  106.3 KB

The light setup on the roof is to die for, adds tons of machismo to the beast.

@ sierrakamat: How much do you think that light setup costs?

- Bullitt

Last edited by Bullitt : 20th April 2011 at 11:19.
Old 20th April 2011, 11:42   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, sorry - was not able to get more details reg the Victa TCIC radiator.

Change in color of dashboard: is it an art-leather covering ? A change in color should be worth the effort.

Fuel lid:
Not just the Sumo's fuel lid kit - you could try the kit of even an Indica. All these are cable operated, and if you can mount the release kit then the rest should be workable.

Note:
"Rest" will include the modification to the lid itself, the cable, and the cable release mechanism / lever. Check out the thread by @IlangoP where he set up the boot release for a 118NE. Or my thread {thread starter was Benbsb29} on the boot release mechanism for the Ikon.