Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th April 2011, 12:10   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@ condor: Art-leather covering looks doubtful. If it is pasted, it is sure to peel off after some time. Besides, the art leather cannot be wrapped around places like the glove-box lid, for example. The edges would be visible when it is opened.

Now I'm pretty sure it's some kind of paint, probably some special scratch-resistant paint meant for coloring plastic like this.

I would love to know how it's done. The beige and white simply brighten up the otherwise drab interiors of the car.

As for the fuel lid, I zeroed in on the Sumo based on 2 parameters:

1. Cable length from the lever to the lid.

2. Boxy, flat and square fuel lid on the driver's side of the vehicle, same as the Sierra.

The Safari has a "rounded" lid, the Indica has a round one, and they are both on the left of the vehicle. I think the kits for these would be designed differently, since the lid is located on the other side.

The Sumo's lid will probably be a direct fit, so the existing fuel lid need not be modified. That leaves just the cable (which should be long enough) and the release mechanism.

I will take a look at the threads you have mentioned to get an idea. There is another thread somewhere, in which the guy fitted a DIY boot-release mechanism to a Gen-2 WagonR. Will have to hunt for it.

EDIT: I believe post-2000 Sierra Turbos did come with remote fuel-lid opening as standard fitment.

- Bullitt

Last edited by Bullitt : 20th April 2011 at 12:17.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 12:34   #347
BHPian

@Kamat saheb - why r u distracting me with other cars? I have a gem of a car right now. All I have asked for is a bigger engine, gear box and suspension.
Then the lipstick+laali will look good!! 4X4 is out of the way for now.
BTW, I will be coming to Mumbai on Thursday and not Friday. Will call you!
@Bullitt - the yellow Sierra looks awesome dude. But only after the basics are in place.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 12:35   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, reg the lid, I was only refering to the inner release mechanism, which holds the lid in place. I think you can/need to use the original lid itself, with modifications for the hook.

The cable length will not be a problem for the Sierra. The Indigo's boot release cable will be long enough for use in the Sierra. Worst case, you will need to loop it, but it will not be a problem in the functioning.

Wish I was there in Pune .. would have loved to get my hands dirty on this one.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 13:03   #349
BHPian

@ kaustubh: A TML employee who stays in my housing society mentioned that a brand new 483 DL TC engine can be bought for 80 quid. A Sierra owner on this forum from Bangalore (vishnu) bought a recon Tata Safari GB for 13K, not sure what a new one costs (should be pretty hefty).

Suspension bush kit replacement without replacing shock absorbers is not a very expensive job. For that matter, even brand new shock absorbers are not at all expensive, a set of four costs 4.8 grand at the ASC, could be cheaper in the market. Labor cost is the key, ASCs will charge you a bomb for this, so get it done outside.

I'm sure sierrakamat can help you out with this. All the best.

@ condor: Any specific reason we need to modify the existing fuel lid rather than just replace it with a Sumo Victa lid?

Even the length of the cable from the Victa should be "just right" for the Sierra, 'coz the lid is on the same side of the vehicle. The Indigo should probaby have a longer one, as the lid is on the other side. Ditto the Indica and Safari.

You are always welcome to this part of the country, you can get your hands dirty anytime you want.

As things are, my family doesn't even grant me the time/permission to wash the beast these days, forget getting my hands dirty. Your arrival should give me a convenient excuse to get my hands dirty too!

- Bullitt
Old 20th April 2011, 13:04   #350
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
@ condor: Art-leather covering looks doubtful. If it is pasted, it is sure to peel off after some time. Besides, the art leather cannot be wrapped around places like the glove-box lid, for example. The edges would be visible when it is opened.

Now I'm pretty sure it's some kind of paint, probably some special scratch-resistant paint meant for coloring plastic like this.
- Bullitt
Dupont has paints for plastic and interiors. It's available in Chennai and I know for sure. HCZ Chennai does it.
octaneoverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 13:08   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bullitt : @ kaustubh: A TML employee who stays in my housing society mentioned that a brand new 483 DL TC engine can be bought for 80 quid. A Sierra owner on this forum from Bangalore (vishnu) bought a recon Tata Safari GB for 13K, not sure what a new one costs (should be pretty hefty).
TML offers factory reconditioned engines & GB's that can be exchanged against your old /existing engine/GB. Contact any TA.SS for this. Should be a much better bet than getting one from outside.

Quote:
Bullitt : Any specific reason we need to modify the existing fuel lid rather than just replace it with a Sumo Victa lid?
I mentioned this just in case the size is different.

Btw, check my Sumo thread for the Bosch air filter. (Just in case you are not already using the Bosch type).
Old 20th April 2011, 13:46   #352
BHPian

@ condor: Aww heck, how could I just forget about that??

I have already gone through it a few days back, and I was meaning to ask you about it. And then it just fell through one of the (many) holes in my head.

Did you feel any noticeable difference in performance after using the new Bosch? I believe it will allow the TC to breathe a lot easier than before.

How much did the filter cost?

I would also like to know the price of a new clutch, I have a feeling mine is on the way out.

Also, is it normal for this engine to belch out black smoke if you try to throttle out of a tight turn in high gear (3rd), resulting in low RPM? Does it smoke under heavy acceleration while taking off from zero?

I have noticed both these issues with my Sierra.

In the first case, the smoke continues as long as I dont shift to the right gear, or until the right RPM is achieved.

In the second case, smoke is seen if I floor it in 2nd gear, but only momentarily as single cloud which bursts out. After that there is hardly any smoke.

The vehicle emits very little smoke under normal running condition, or at idle.

I am beginning to suspect my FIP, unless of course this behavior is normal.

EDIT:

@octaneoverdose: Thanks for the info about the DuPont paint, now I know what to go for if I need to change my dashboard color.

- Bullitt.

Last edited by Bullitt : 20th April 2011 at 13:51.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:06   #353
BHPian

@Bullitt - The Sierra's are known to emit black smoke under heavy acceleration. Once in cruise mode, there wont be much smoke. During the service, I added an engine oil additive (like Nulon) to the Sierra engine. Dont remember the name but costs around 300 bucks and is a US brand. try that out and it should make the car a lot smoother. BTW, I also have Nulon with me. I am planning to use it during the next oil change.
Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 20th April 2011, 14:09   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bullitt : Did you feel any noticeable difference in performance after using the new Bosch? I believe it will allow the TC to breathe a lot easier than before.

How much did the filter cost?
Need a little more time to answer that question. My engine took some time to settle down after the prev oil change. Am waiting to see if the same will happen this time also. Once I confirm that I will be able to check the performance & FE.

Logically, the engine should breathe much better. There is at least 25-30% more area for the air to pass through.
(Rough calculations show that for 1sq cm /100sq mm of filter surface, the old design blocked approx 36% of the path. Each hole is 9mm wide, giving an area of only 63.6 sq mm)

Quote:
Bullitt : Also, is it normal for this engine to belch out black smoke if you try to throttle out of a tight turn in high gear (3rd), resulting in low RPM? Does it smoke under heavy acceleration while taking off from zero?

I am beginning to suspect my FIP..
If you also see a loss of power & FE, then get the FIP timing checked.

EDIT:
Something I learnt the hard way. Do a high rpm run at least once a month. about 3000 - 3500 rpm for about 30sec to 1 min. Helps clear the exhaust too. And will help your emission tests - as I found during my last emission test. Also, that high rpm run is written in my Ikon's owners manual.

Last edited by condor : 20th April 2011 at 14:24.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:58   #355
BHPian

@ kaustubh: I have seen and heard of something named "Bardahl" being added to a Sumo's engine. Is that what you are referring to? Is "Nulon" a similar product?

@ condor: Can you remember how much you paid for the Bosch air filter? I intend to check mine and replace if necessary, and if so, I will go for it provided the cost is reasonable.

Thanks for the heads up about the "Italian tune-up" for diesel engines, I have read it umpteen times on Team-BHP but took it lightly. Considering that the Ikon manual says so, it needs to be followed.

Building on the same topic, I have read somewhere that this also helps the TC by reducing soot buildup and subsequent clogging. Any idea about this?

Also, I assuming that the presence of a turbocharger naturally means that an EGR is also present. Is this true? Or does the 483 DL TC use some other method to recirculate exhaust gas to the TC?

- Bullitt
Old 20th April 2011, 15:09   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, sorry - missed that. Rs 350/-

Nulon, Bardahl & STP are similar. Bardahl is sold in T.A.S.S also. But you may need 2 bottles to attaing the 3-5% additive:engine oil ratio.

I dont think the older TC engines had a EGR. I think EGR came in for BS-III engines, to improve emissions. It is not used for turbo-charging. Turbo-charging is always the standard process of using the exhust gas to compress in-take air. The path of both will be different. In EGR, part of the exhaust is circulated back to the in-take air.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:12   #357
BHPian

Ohh OK, so I confused 2 different devices serving different purposes altogether.

350 bucks sounds like a good deal.

I had read a post on Team-BHP advising someone to remove and clean the cat-con (of a Tata vehicle), as this allows the TC to perform better. I searched for it, but I am not able to locate that post. I'm not even sure about the thread in which it was posted. Will keep looking.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:23   #358
BHPian

@Bullitt -
Get rid of the catcon. I am going to do the same soon (and had done it to my indica as well). It will just restrict the exhaust gases flow and removing it should not impact the PUC rating by much.

Nulon I think is one of the older manufacturers in India. It is based on some free floating highly lubricating particles which reduce friction. I dont have a first hand experience but one of my friends used to have it regularly in his Padmini and it was surely makhkhan to drive. So I am doing the same on the Thunderbird and Sierra. Also Nulon, you will need only 1 bottle for cars upto 3000CC if I remember correctly. I am going to try it on my Thunderbird next week and shall let you know the difference.

Dude, can you also get me one additional air filter when you buy the Bosch one? Will pay you when we meet.

Regards,
Kaustubh

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 20th April 2011 at 17:25.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:53   #359
BHPian

Is Nulon/Bardahl/STP to be added during oil change (by reducing the quantity of re-filled engine oil in proportion), or do I just get the bottle and dump it in the suggested quantity, regardless of the existing oil in the engine?

@ kaustubh: How come the same Nulon can be used in the T-Bird AND the Sierra? Apples and oranges right, unless your T-Bird sips diesel?

I'll be sure to buy the Bosch air filter for you when I get one for myself.

- Bullitt.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:05   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, yes you are correct. You have reduce the quantity of engine oil before you add these oils.

Remember, never have excess oil. Level should be at / below max level on dip-stick.