Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th May 2011, 14:08   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@Bullitt, come to think of it - may be I should not even change the rims !!
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 15:43   #392
BHPian

@ condor: Yea, you never know, maybe it was the spirits of those discarded rims that caused all those cars to get sold! Moohahahahaha....
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 18:10   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
We have been trying to get a wheelcap for Sierra, but couldn't find. Any pointers to where I can one of these?
@ch.nathan - All rims on 4 wheel rims are of a different type BUT the extra rim that I have is exactly same like the one which you want. Only thing is, it does not have the Tata logo. Let me know if you still want it.
Sorry I dont have a snap shot as yet.

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:07   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
the extra rim that I have is exactly same like the one which you want. Only thing is, it does not have the Tata logo. Let me know if you still want it.
Thanks a ton Kaustabh!! I will be glad to take it.

I will start a seperate hunt for the logo.

Now comes the question of logistics - are you in Pune?
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:49   #395
BHPian

@ch.nathan - Yes. I am in Pune. How do I ship it to you? You will have to bear the courier charges my dear friend! LOL!!!

@Jaydeep - The left hand drive Sierra in Uran cannot be had. I had PM'ed ariesonu and he gave me this feedback. In any case, it will be worthwhile to visit the place and scavenge parts at location.
Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 11th May 2011, 12:17   #396
BHPian

Update - Had been to Malvan over the last weekend. My Sierra gave me a whopping 14 KMPL under the following conditions:
1. To Malvan - 70% a/c, 2 people on board, consitent speeds of 80-90 KMPH
2. Return journey - No a/c, 2 people on board + 700 Kgs worth of mangoes and 200 Kms with silencer broken right near the manifold (very loud noise and power loss).

I am betting I would get close to 16 if the silencer was not broken. The reason it broke was the underbody support for the silencer broke and it slowly started shearing at the front. The symptoms of it cracking were there but I assumed it would survive the trip and I would fix it when I was back in Pune. But it was not to be.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 11th May 2011, 12:40   #397
BHPian

@ kaustubh: Hey dude, 14 kmpl is good news! Do get that exhaust fixed though.

Guess what, I recently spotted a 4x4 Sierra Turbo! Its an RHD, registered in Pune with an MH12 number. I intend to find out more details the next time I visit TASS.

On Tuesday morning, I was driving my WagonR on the old Mumbai-Pune highway, enroute from Chinchwad to Shivajinagar. Just before Pimpri, I see this white Sierra slowly filling up my IRVM (I was doing 70, so he must be doing about 90). I mention to my wife that we have a Sierra trying to overtake.
As he overtakes, I take a look at his front wheels, and I was like...

The beast looked pretty well-maintained. If I were alone and I had the time, I would have flagged him down and asked him a few details, but unfortunately I was in a hurry, so couldn't do anything about it. Not to mention, I wasn't carrying any camera either.

- Bullitt
Old 11th May 2011, 12:43   #398
BHPian

Bullitt - Do you atleast have the registration number of the Sierra? That way, we can locate him in Pune and take a look at the underside. All I need to know is what fits and then I can go about procuring the parts I want. Man, just put some stress on the grey matter and the number might pop out!!
BTW - Which TASS? Pandit or BUB?
Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 11th May 2011, 13:10   #399
BHPian

@ kaustubh: I have PM'ed you the number. If you have any easily accessible TASS outlet in your neighborhood, ask them for details. I will try the same. Once we have the details, we will try and take a look at the car in question. Would be pretty interesting to take a look at a 4X4 Sierra.

- Bullitt
Old 12th May 2011, 12:35   #400
BHPian

Hey guys,
I have a question. In my possession I have the soft copy of the Tata Sierra Turbo user's manual.

In that, it is mentioned that the tyre pressure should be maintained at 20 psi in all 4 tyres. After reading this, I have filled 20 psi in all the 4 tyres of my Sierra (it was previously 32 psi, the standard rating used by all gas station attendants).

I have the standard 215/75 R15 tyres, mounted on 7J aftermarket alloys. With 20 psi in them, the tyres appear squat and under-inflated (the sidewall bulges out towards the bottom of the wheel). In the long run, will this affect the tread wear pattern of the tyre?

Question is, is 20 psi the correct pressure to maintain in the tyres? Is there any way to determine what is the "correct" pressure rating to be maintained for a given tyre size?

What pressure do you guys maintain in your wheels?

- Bullitt
Old 12th May 2011, 12:42   #401
BHPian

@Bulllitt - I maintain 35 PSI. The car seems a bit bouncy but I can live with it.
20 PSI is too less. Even on the fuel lid it is mentioned 20 PSI. The car will be very lethargic I guess.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 12th May 2011, 12:44   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

No - that must be a typo. The more correct pressure would be 30 psi. Try 32, upto 34 for the setting/ride and stick what you find comfortable.

Compare this:
Sumo Victa: 1850kg kerb weight.
Recommened presssure: 35 psi front. upto 50 for rear, depending on load.

The Sierra is about 1600kg kerb weight.
Tyre size is almost if not exactly same. Do you think 20psi is sufficient ? No, I would say that should read as 30.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 14:03   #403
BHPian

@ kaustubh:

At 32 psi, even I used to find the ride to be very bouncy, and the beast lacked stability. I realized this only after I reduced it to 20 psi. At this pressure, the vehicle feels quite stable, and absorbs potholes and bumps a lot better, possibly because the sidewall has better flexibility at 20 psi. The car doesn't feel lethargic, but the PS does feel heavier and overworked.

@ condor:

I really doubt that Tata would commit such a huge blunder in printing the manual. And, as kaustubh said (I haven't seen it), the fuel lid too says 20 psi, so it's definitely not a typo.

Is there some sort of test, something like the coin test for tread wear, which can be used to determine the correct tyre pressure? I also intend to talk to the TASS people to find out what is right.

Talking about power steering, lately I have noticed that the power steering in my Sierra has started emitting a grating, grinding noise whenever I turn the wheel. The noise is quite loud and noticeable at cold start, but reduces after the vehicle has run awhile. Generally, it goes away by the time I return and park even after a short 4-5 km trip. What could be the reason for this noise?
Old 12th May 2011, 14:23   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Talking about power steering, lately I have noticed that the power steering in my Sierra has started emitting a grating, grinding noise whenever I turn the wheel. The noise is quite loud and noticeable at cold start, but reduces after the vehicle has run awhile. Generally, it goes away by the time I return and park even after a short 4-5 km trip. What could be the reason for this noise?
I had the exact same problem last year. At first the oil in the power steering was found to be low. The problem went away when I had the oil filled but only to come back again after a few days. Turns out that the oil had been leaking slowly, had the gasket/o-rings(comes as a kit) replaced and its been good since then.
siddvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 14:35   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I really doubt that Tata would commit such a huge blunder in printing the manual. And, as kaustubh said (I haven't seen it), the fuel lid too says 20 psi, so it's definitely not a typo.
In such a situation (even otherwise), pls try different pressure levels and see which you find to be the best. If 32 is too high/hard/bouncy, pls try 28.

Under-inflation is also not good. Will reduce tyre life, cause un-even wear and also increase stress on side-walls.

eg:
I upsized from 175 to 185 on the Ikon. May people say I should reduce the pressure by a couple of points. But I found that a couple of points higher is better. Else my FE suffers (though ride is much softer).
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote