Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th May 2011, 15:00   #406
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

@ siddvi,
Thanks for the advice. Can you please tell me how to check the PS oil level? Also, where can I check for leakages? Please indicate the reservoir in the picture below (This is an old picture of the engine bay, when I bought it. Please do not analyze it.)

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-dsc0313220large.jpg
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 15:22   #407
BHPian

@Bullitt: Here's a pic of my engine with the PS reservoir shaded. That's where the SA looked at first and noticed it low. The leak though was more interior/down in the system.
Attached Images

siddvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 11:14   #408
BHPian

Unscrew the round screw you see on the top it should come off easily the screw will have a oil level mark with gradations so wipe it put it back in and take it out to measure the ps oil level. Usually at least with my car the moment the level is low the power steering makes noise. Since it was leaking since a long time had it replaced i.e entire power steering kit 9 months back don't remember how much was spent thou
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 15:55   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Default PS Oil level check

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Unscrew the round screw you see on the top it should come off easily
@Bullitt, not the one in the center, but the one on the side.

Btw, if PS oil is leaking, then the gasket inside needs to be replaced. Costs about 150, and you can do it yourself. But remember that there 2 types of this, so you need to get the correct type. Ref my Sumo thread for more details. I have replaced the gasket sometime back, and it is fine now.

Note: opening the center screw will allow you to see the gasket also. You can open it- it wont screw anything
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:04   #410
BHPian

Default Re: PS Oil level check

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...opening the center screw ... wont screw anything
Ha ha! Was that pun intended?

Sorry guys, been a bit too busy with social commitments lately, so absolutely haven't been able to find time to take care of the beast. I haven't been driving it either because of the PS issue, so it's been gathering dust in the parking for a few days now.

Lately there were a couple of instances when I had to travel some really bad roads using my WagonR, gingerly picking my way out where there was hardly any,and I really missed the beast during those times. Gotta roll up my sleeves and get back to working on the beast now I guess.

@ abhishek2222:

By "power steering kit", do you mean to say that the entire assembly was replaced, including gearbox/motor/pulley etc? When I broke the PS gearbox shaft during my early days, the TASC informed me that a new PS GB (Rane make) costs 32K! If you replaced everything, it must have cost a nice bomb, probably upwards of 50K.

@ condor:

I'm not sure if the PS oil is leaking, or if it's just run out of oil. I definitely haven't seen any fresh oil stains under the car recently. Need to find out more and check if any leaking PS oil is accumulating in the engine bay somewhere.

Did you replace the gasket yourself? Does it require any specialized tools? Siddvi has mentioned something about a "kit" with multiple objects (gasket and o-rings). Did you this "kit"? I'll do it myself if it's an easy fix, but if its a bit complex then I don't want to.. err.. screw up. (there goes that word again...)

I will look up your thread on the Sumo. TIA for the advice.

- Bullitt
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:29   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt,

Replacing the gasket is easy. Guess you would have seen my thread by now .. Dont need any tools, except may be a plier to open that wing nut. Open it, see what type of gasket you need, and get one from the A.S.S. The "kit" is mostly 2-3 gaskets together, of which you will use one.

Often the PS oil leaks inspite of this gasket. If left long enough without correcting, the oil level reduces. Replace the gasket & top up the oil. Hpefully you'll be good to go again.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:18   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
An old minor problem with the Sumo has been leaking of PS oil. The T.A.S.S used to check it during each service, but this time it had got a little too much, with a noticeable drop in PS oil levels.

So this time, decided to open it and have a look again before giving it for service.

Oil outside the PS oil tank :

Attachment 419050

Opened the cap of the oil tank, and this is what I see : a warped oil seal gasket. Note the cut in the gasket.

Attachment 419051

There were some rough edges at these points, which seemed to add to the leak. (Note the chipped areas)

Attachment 419052

So used an old screw-driver to chip away at the rough spots. Care taken to not drop the debris into the oil. Once this was done, cleaned those areas to reduce the oil. Then a bit of Anabond 666 over these areas to smoothen the spots.

Have put the gasket back as it is (even though it is damaged). But atleast it is holding. Will pick up a new gasket next time I am near a T.A.S.S, to complete this issue.
Okies! This looks DIY enough. Will try it out in the next few days. I will also need to buy PS oil. The user manual says it takes in 1.4 litres of "Castrol TQ Type A.T.F" or "Servo Trans Fluid-A". What brand/rating do you recommend? Is PS oil packaged as a 1.4 litre bottle?

- Bullitt
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:25   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, unless your PS oil is due for a change, you will only need to top it up. Suggest regular stuff, as per the service book .. Castrol may be ?
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:27   #414
BHPian

Wokay. In that case, I'll need to peek into the reservoir and check how much I need. I'm assuming the min. packaging would be 1 lt. bottle? How much does it cost?
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:32   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Wont be much. But A more cost-effective option: ask your garage guy to do the top-up. Or at at T.A.S.S.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:24   #416
BHPian

Hello folks, I am a die hard fan of the tata sierra turbo. And i have dreamed of owning one for quite a long time. For that I have been saving up for quite some time now and have been looking for turbo sierras for a couple of weeks.

I have come accross a 2000 turbo model which is in a decent shape and the engine sounds good, also it has 4 almost new Yokohama tyres in it. The owner is asking 1.5 lakhs for it and is not willing to negotiate a bit.

Now the dielama is shall I go for it or shall I keep looking for other sierras for somewhat lesser price. It has been my dream to own a sierra and after looking for so many days I have come across this car, so in the process of looking for other sierras I do not want to loose this opportunity to own my dream vehicle.

Gurus please advice whether I should go ahead with this vehicle or should I test my luck and keep hunting for sierras. Personally I feel that the sierra I have come across should cost around 1.2 lakhs depending on its condition.

My actual plan before starting the hunt for a turbo sierra was to get the vehicle for around 1.1 to 1.2 lakhs and then spend around 30-40k to make it totally fit...which makes the entire budget around 1.5-1.6 lakhs. If i spend all the money in acquiring this 2000 model sierra then I will have to wait for quite some time to get it fully serviced.

Also let me know if any other turbo sierra is up for sale in bangalore

Thanks
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:10   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Hello folks, I am a die hard fan of the tata sierra turbo. And i have dreamed of owning one for quite a long time. For that I have been saving up for quite some time now and have been looking for turbo sierras for a couple of weeks.

--------------//

Also let me know if any other turbo sierra is up for sale in bangalore

Thanks
Hey Buddy,

Please post some pictures for the following sections.

Engine bay
Under body
Under carpet
Dashboard & Gear knob
Boot area
More Angles to know structural damage

thanks
Srini
svpatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:26   #418
BHPian

@ srini

I do not have any pictures of the vehicle, reason behind that is that...the owner of the vehicle is sort of a weird and arrogant person. When I met him he was like "daily many people come to see my car and then they leave, they are all time passers" So, I didn't want to bug him any further by clicking pictures of his vehicle and not fixing the deal at that moment.

He was also reluctant to offer a test drive, he said a test drive will be allowed only once I agree to pay 1.5 lakhs

Well, let me describe the condition of the vehicle...

1) Exterior looks okay, few scratches on the front and rear bumpers. A little patch of rust near the bottom of the driver side's door.

2) Interiors are a bit worn out, but the front left seat is sliding well and bending forward properly.

3) Upon starting the vehicle it started in the first crank and there was no black smoke, also upon revving the engine there was no suspicious noise.

That is all I can say about the engine, I do not have much of engine knowledge...

Bottom line is the price is fixed, it is not negotiable....I can get the vehicle checked by a good mechanic, but the thing is the price is 1.5 lakhs.

Is it recommended to buy this vehicle at 1.5 lakhs?(provided the engine is good)

a) Also, after acquiring the vehicle I would have to work on the suspension which should cost around 5k to 15k (depending upon their condition, as I dont know as of now without a test drive)

b) Around 10k to15k for changing the various fluids, air filter, oil pump etc (correct me on this amount if I am wrong)

c) Around 10k for cosmetic work including change of seat covers, work on the rust patch, changing of light covers and bulbs. (correct me on the amount if I am wrong)

Also please let me know if there are any other turbo sierras available in bangalore
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:31   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

@ravi 23, my past experience of buying a used car: the worse the condition of the car, the harder he can behave. It's called hard-sell-ing.

Also, a good car will not sit there without being sold. If many people came & went without pursuing the matter further, then may be they see something (missing) in it.

Keep looking, do not get stuck to the first one you come across- unless it is an exceptional piece.

Lastly, 1.5L for a 11 year old ? Your original estimate is quite realistic, I feel.
Old 24th May 2011, 13:46   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
@ srini

I do not have any pictures of the vehicle, reason behind that is that...the owner of the vehicle is sort of a weird and arrogant person. When I met him he was like "daily many people come to see my car and then they leave, they are all time passers" So, I didn't want to bug him any further by clicking pictures of his vehicle and not fixing the deal at that moment.

[s]i dont understand why the owner is reluctant to take picture, any body can take picture while parking on the road

He was also reluctant to offer a test drive, he said a test drive will be allowed only once I agree to pay 1.5 lakhs

[s] for a vehicle which is 11 years old 1.5 is too high. i agree with Condoor

Well, let me describe the condition of the vehicle...

1) Exterior looks okay, few scratches on the front and rear bumpers. A little patch of rust near the bottom of the driver side's door.

2) Interiors are a bit worn out, but the front left seat is sliding well and bending forward properly.

3) Upon starting the vehicle it started in the first crank and there was no black smoke, also upon revving the engine there was no suspicious noise.

That is all I can say about the engine, I do not have much of engine knowledge...

Bottom line is the price is fixed, it is not negotiable....I can get the vehicle checked by a good mechanic, but the thing is the price is 1.5 lakhs.

Is it recommended to buy this vehicle at 1.5 lakhs?(provided the engine is good)

a) Also, after acquiring the vehicle I would have to work on the suspension which should cost around 5k to 15k (depending upon their condition, as I dont know as of now without a test drive)

[s] without out a test driver u can not determine the vehicle behavour in different road condition.

b) Around 10k to15k for changing the various fluids, air filter, oil pump etc (correct me on this amount if I am wrong)

c) Around 10k for cosmetic work including change of seat covers, work on the rust patch, changing of light covers and bulbs. (correct me on the amount if I am wrong)

[s]if you can find a non turbo thats may enough. i know the turbo is better option. if you get a good NA i think it serve the purpose. please let us know what the purpose that the vehicle will be used for

Also please let me know if there are any other turbo sierras available in bangalore
[s]i am in northern part of India ( delhi) what your budget allocated for this. in my opinion look for a product fro Toyota stable. its my personal opinion. don't take otherwise.

thanks
Srini

Last edited by aah78 : 24th May 2011 at 20:30. Reason: Removed formatting.
svpatra is online now   Reply With Quote