Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th June 2011, 18:38   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
These cars used a combination of dog-leg plus press/lift for reverse (at least in some of their models), thereby introducing dual safety.
One reason I think the the dog-leg pattern is better is because I have on occasion searched for a 6th gear .. exactly where my reverse is. That is one drawback of the H pattern ..
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 23:58   #467
BHPian

Last week went to see the GA reg sierra with a mechanic but was a bit busy this week so couldn't post the update.

While starting the vehicle, it took 3 attempts to start the car. That was the first turnoff, though the owner quickly said that the vehicle hasn't been started in a week. My mechanic took a test drive along with me and the owner. The pick up was very sluggish (even less then the purple one) and here also the turbo was kicking in lately, it kicked at around close to 4.5-5k rpm mark. There was no unusual sound from the engine. The odometer reading was 67k something but it was fishy as the all the digits were not in a straight line, which suggests tempering. And engine condition was not upto the mark for a 67k run vehicle. There were lots of loose wires hanging beneath the dashboard and cabin smelt of moist water(the stink that comes if clothes are not dried in sun) which suggests water leakage. Positive point was the suspension, the owner said that suspension work was done recently which the mechanic confirmed as there were no noises.

Overall the vehicle was quite disappointing and my mechanic suggested me to stay away from it, but I still inquired about the price in case I get it for a bargain. Offered 80k without tax being paid and 110k with tax paid. To which the owner said that he will not pay the road tax and told he final price as 1.2 lakhs. End of negotiations

Also the vehicle was a 2000 model and not 2002 as he mentioned over the phone. And NOC was issued 8 months back, but he told that he could get a fresh NOC

@ Condor, Still waiting for the belgaum sierra's pictures/update.
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 08:08   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ravi, your observations on this GA Sierra look spot on. One week of not startarting should not affect starting like that. I have left my Sumo idle for 5+ weeks, and yet she started at first crank.

Hang in there, I have not forgotten the Sierra I mentioned. And definitely not your hunt
Old 21st June 2011, 14:11   #469
BHPian

Finally some wheel caps (Yes yes.. I havent bought the Alloys yet as it is still beyond my budget!) have been put. This is the Xylo wheelcovers 15" size and cost INR 500 for a set of four.

Now the only thing pending is a music system. Any suggestions on speakers / woofers and placement ?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-tyres3.jpg  

Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 03:25   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Finally some wheel caps (Yes yes.. I havent bought the Alloys yet as it is still beyond my budget!) have been put. This is the Xylo wheelcovers 15" size and cost INR 500 for a set of four.

Nice wheel covers. IMO the xylo wheel caps look better than the tata's wheel caps, and 500rs for a set of 4 seems like a steal. I hope that they do not have any mahindra logo on them to spoil the look.

@condor, Ting tong...any updates
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 14:18   #471
BHPian

Thanks Ravi. No it doesnt have the Mahindra logos. I am avoiding brand new alloys so as not to increase the price too much. I will anyway be selling the Sierra after some time... so want to avoid too much sunk costs.

As Jaydeep mentioned the headlights need some work on it as they look too old.

Doc Kamat any suggestion ? Do I just get a new set of NA headlights or can the Turbo lights be fitted ?
Old 14th July 2011, 09:48   #472
BHPian

saptarshi get your electrician to clean your headlights with soap water that would help or then try kurla cst for new ones,turbo lights cannot be fitted without altering the grill which involves welding and damage to your newly painted baby.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 16:49   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
@condor, Ting tong...any updates
@Ravi, sorry for the delayed response. Not that I had forgotten this ..

Not very good news. The guy felt his Sierra was in demand, and began to up his quotes. 2-3 other queries later, he was asking for almost 2L.

One thing was that the turbo was not working well. Apparently it had a faulty bush, which they were not able to find there. Hence it was being used in NA state. I had even asked my cousin to find out the part number so we could try to get it here. But when the guy started behaving like that, my cousin suggested stepping away.
Old 7th August 2011, 18:59   #474
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post

Thanks for the update, I thought you forgot about it I also had a few setbacks in the meanwhile, my esteem had a minor accident...so had to spend some money on it Also got myself an rx 135 in the meanwhile, always wanted to own one So, currently running a bit low on savings, thought I am still looking for a sierra, but it will take a few months to able to purchase one.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2011 at 11:53. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th August 2011, 10:32   #475
BANNED

Hi Dr Kamat,

I have a query - would a TATA 207 (3L or older version) windshield fit a sierra ? I had called up Windshield Experts - they quoted 8K for a new winshield for a sierra without confirming whether they would be able to procure one or not -
ridinthru' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:44   #476
BHPian

Doc Kamat: Can do with your expert advise here.

I took the Sierra to the TASS in Worli. The lady at the reception / booking could not understand what a Sierra was, but she took the booking anyway. The Servicing guys did the standard oil and filter change.

10 kms after driving as soon as i give more accelerator, the engine just chokes and dies down as if there is no fuel supply. So I took the Sierra on the Sea Link (my longest drive ever) where it would stop after every 50 mtrs and then suddenly pick up speed (50 kmph max)

Guddu came over to check the car and claims its a problem with the fuel filter.

Have any of you faced a similar problem wherein you give the accelarator but the engine just dies down ?
Old 26th August 2011, 09:08   #477
BHPian

saptarshi your fuel filter has not been fitted properly and consequently it is taking in air the best way to do this is to remove and refit with the bowls full of diesel at the time of fitting if that does not work then you will have to get the upper plate of the filter
serviced.
ridinthru since the cabs of the 207 and the sierra are same i think the windshield should fit suggest you try the local workshops it will be around 4500
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 02:35   #478
BHPian

@ravi_23 even I had checked the GA (Goa) registered Sierra in Bangalore (Noel Boys sticker on windshield). Good that you had rejected it.

Thought I will share my TD experience with that vehicle here. Perhaps, might be useful for other Sierra aspirants.

It looked desirable in the photos. When I saw it in flesh (or is it metal?), it immediately turned me off. There was rust all along the body. If I remember correctly, there was fist sized hole in the left door, big enough for a rat to enter. The top, near the channels, had lot of rust and small holes. The gear system was little different - it had the 1st gear below the reverse (illustrated below).

R 2 4
| | |
--------
| | |
1 3 5 (? not sure of the position of 5th gear)

I had difficulty in slotting the gears, so after the initial few hundred metres I asked the owner himself to drive. He was telling that he used to start and move the vehicle in 2nd gear itself and rarely (or never) used the 1st gear. In my understanding that would mean gear box would be in bad shape (experts can comment).

As ravi_23 mentioned, the paperwork was not in order. He had taken the NOC from Goa, but not registered in Bangalore and used it for an year (at least). So the NOC has expired. The owner was telling that the road tax for this car would be about 5K or so. This was certainly wrong.

The KA road tax is calculated based on the ex-showroom price. The all inclusive price of Sierra in 2001 was about 6.8L in Mumbai. So assuming 1L for road tax and insurance at that time, still the ex-showroom price would be 5.8L. (source- Tata SIERRA Turbo) Bangalore price is more or less the same as Mumbai (based on Autocar mag price list). For new car with 5.8L price, the road tax will be 14% of the price = 82K (approx), The depreciation in roadtax will be 41-45% (of the age is above 10 or 11 years respectively) of 82K = 33-37k.

The tinkering and painting would cost a minimum of 30K. Did not take the mechanic, so could not estimate the mechanical condition.

Working backwards (keeping the the price of good condition Sierra to be 1.35L), the car was not worth more than 60K in my estimate and that did not include evaluating the engine condition. So, did not even negotiate for the price. I just left saying that will get back if I am interested

Last edited by drsk : 29th September 2011 at 02:37.
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 10:55   #479
BHPian

@ drsk:

Its a cardinal sin to buy a Tata Sierra Turbo and not post pictures of it here on this thread. Post 'em quick, before you incur the wrath of the Sierra Gods!

- Bullitt
Bullitt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 19:38   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullitt, but he has not purchased that Sierra !

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2011 at 16:27. Reason: Can't delete your post now, as it's already been replied to