Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th November 2011, 15:12   #496
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
And it finally went for 65k ? Bullit, Kaustubh, guess we missed out on this one. By the time I met doc kamat last weekend and he told me about this Sierra, it was already sold.

Am in Pune this weekend. So if you guys (Bullit, Kaustubh) want any parts from here give me a shout.
Hmm, the car looks too good to be a parts mule. Good to hear that somebody has bought it, and is using it (hope so), in one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
...by the way the fellow in the pic is not me
LOL! Doc, is that guy in the "India's Most Wanted" hit list or something? You seem wary of associating his picture with yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
...Additionally, need new front seats from an Amby or Tavera!!
Why Amby or Tavera seats? Why not 207 ones? They should be a perfect match, and probably wont require any alteration to fit in the car either. The only drawback is, the lack of a one-touch toggle mechanism for the co-driver's seat.

If you're keen on that, you will need the middle row seat(s) from any 7-seater MUV/SUV, like the Innova/Scorpio/Grande.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Bullitt, sorry - had not been able to respond to your query due to an un-foreseen situation. Here's the pic. Pls check.
No hurries, no worries mate. Thanks for the pic. The device looks identical, but seems to be mounted in a different location and in a different position altogether. It looks like it has been mounted right next to the FIP, facing the opposite direction (the "stick" from the vacuum actuator points towards the front). Wonder how the linkage works. A bigger picture would help.

In the picture I have posted here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2526856 (Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries)

you can see a part of that "stick" jutting out from under the big black hose at the bottom right corner (under the red arrow). In the Sierra, the "stick" points towards the rear of the vehicle. The triangular linkage and the "hammer" that pushes the throttle is also clearly visible.

At least I have the assurance now that this switch still exists in current gen TATA vehicles, and can be procured "new" with ease. Now it only remains to be seen whether that triangular linkage is the same; if yes, then my problem is solved, else I will have to do some fabrication work on the existing linkage to make it work properly.

Now for some updates:

Recently, barely a month after I replaced the PS gearbox, the alternator gave up on me. It first started with a loose plastic electrical socket which used to disengage every time I drove through a few potholes. After a few near-dead-battery incidents (I used to keep a close eye on the rev counter and battery checklight on the dash), one fine day the dang thing just gave up on me. Cost of repair: 4K. Parts replaced:

1. All bearings and oil seals.
2. Rectifier.
3. Regulator.

In the long run, I hope to get it replaced with the 90A alternator which I heard is used in M&M vehicles. Have any of you guys done this conversion? Is the 90A alternator a direct fit, or does it require any alteration? My electrician mentioned that significant changes will have to be done to the car's wiring to compensate for the rise in current rating. Any pointers?

Regards,
Bullitt
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 09:12   #497
BHPian

kaustubh you know very well i am always game for sierra restorations whenever you have the time and money i have the inclination ,by the way there is a 99 turbo for sale if you can come down i we will have a look at it and then you decide whethr you want to spend on your car or go for a different vehicle which may work out cheaper.
bullit i suggest you take out time and visit mumbai to sort out your electrical and ac issues once and for all.
this is what i meant when i was asking you to include black on your mineral red beauty .
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-31102011235.jpg  

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-31102011236.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:19   #498
BHPian

Doc, the red and black looks good. What say Bullit ? Any such recommendation for my dark grey Sierra ?

Also does the Sumo 4 spoke steering fit on the Sierra ? Wanted to upgrade from the current 2 spoke steering wheel that I have. Is the Tata 207 Front grill a direct fit on the Sierra NA ? I can now finally start getting all the small upgrades done !
Attached Images

Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 15:11   #499
BHPian

Also posting some pictures of the interiors which just got done a couple of days ago.

Light grey color. This is Jindals fake leather. Also got the gear lever, rear arm rest and the sun shade done in the same.

The rear seat was really in need of repairs and was sagging at the sides. Got some extra sponge put in the rear seat. Now is much better, almost like new.
Attached Images

Last edited by Saptarshi B : 18th November 2011 at 15:15.
Old 18th November 2011, 16:20   #500
BHPian

Quote:
by the way there is a 99 turbo for sale if you can come down i we will have a look at it and then you decide whethr you want to spend on your car or go for a different vehicle which may work out cheaper.
Doctor Saheb - I am actually comfortable with my current car because I know exactly how she behaves. Comfort level with all the mechanicals!
So I am not inclined for another car. Hya gaadilach powder-lipstick karuya!!!
I will let you know when I can come to Mumbai with the car.

@Saptarshi - The interiors are really looking good man!!! Nice work!

Regards,
Kaustubh
kaustubh_vaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 16:39   #501
BHPian

Quote:
bullit i suggest you take out time and visit mumbai to sort out your electrical and ac issues once and for all.
Time and money dude... patience is the key. BTW, just before that alternator died, the AC blower stopped working. To investigate the fuse, I was peering under the glovebox (the fuse box in the co-driver footwell), when I saw a disconnected plug and socket dangling around. Since both had a single grey wire attached, I figured it was a match and connected it. Lo and behold, now the tail-lamps work, the front parking lamps work, the speedo backlights are working and so are the rear wipers!

I still need to work on the rear spray (the missing nozzle which Guddu left behind at home, I wonder if he still has it) and the rear defogger. I found a good solution for the rear defogger posted on one of the threads by condor. Here it is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2566325 (Retrofitting Rear Defogger in i10)

I will try it out sometime. And oh, the AC blower started working after the fuse was replaced.

Quote:
this is what i meant when i was asking you to include black on your mineral red beauty .
To be honest Doc, more than anything else, those alloys are simply priceless. Absolutely delicious! They just kinda make the rest of the car fade away.

What is the material used for the black portion, is it paint or those black sheets of cut-paste stuff used to blackout the pillars on Swifts and such cars?

Quote:
Also does the Sumo 4 spoke steering fit on the Sierra ? Wanted to upgrade from the current 2 spoke steering wheel that I have. Is the Tata 207 Front grill a direct fit on the Sierra NA ? I can now finally start getting all the small upgrades done !
The 4-spoke 207 DI steering is a direct fit. Looks very much like the steering on my Turbo, but it has 2 buttons for the horn instead of the huge center horn-pad. I also believe it is a little smaller, but I'm not too sure. I have seen one NA Sierra fitted with the same.

Quote:
Also posting some pictures of the interiors which just got done a couple of days ago.

Light grey color. This is Jindals fake leather. Also got the gear lever, rear arm rest and the sun shade done in the same.

The rear seat was really in need of repairs and was sagging at the sides. Got some extra sponge put in the rear seat. Now is much better, almost like new.
Looks great! Where did you get this done, and what was the cost?

I need to get my gear lever done like that, not sure where I can get it done like that. Do accessory shops do these jobs?

- Bullitt
Old 20th November 2011, 11:49   #502
BHPian

bullit the gear knob would cost about 300 and the gear boot about 150 at your local accessories shop .
kaustubh if lali powder is what you want then that what you will get the only reason i was suggesting the other car was for the turbo engine .
if the three of you had pooled 65k for the white sierra kaustubh would have got the interiors and the 16 inch tyres with rims saptarshi could have lifted the ac and bullit the wiring loom with the new alternator and whatever else was needed that would have made sense.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 13:48   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, that 2-spoke steering wheel is a classic. Atleast pls dont throw it away. Also, any reason to suspect that the steering wheels from the Victa / Safari wont fit ?

And here's two more pics of the actuator. Hope this give a clearer pic. (Note: my FIP is a Lucas - not a Bosch)

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-vacactuator2.jpg

Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries-vacactuator1.jpg
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 12:01   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, that 2-spoke steering wheel is a classic. Atleast pls dont throw it away.
Saptarshi, I agree with condor. Would it be possible to replace the missing centre monogram? Perhaps we can just spruce up the existing wheel with some polish and a cover to make it look good.

There seem to be some depressions at both the ends of the horn pad. I remember the horn icon used to be embossed in the wheel at those places, but this looks different. Are those depressions meant for tiny horn-shaped monograms too?

Quote:
Also, any reason to suspect that the steering wheels from the Victa / Safari wont fit ?
Well, I believe the Safari comes with a beige wheel. I may be wrong though; experts, feel free to comment.

The Victa wheel should probably be a direct fit too. The only reason I suggested the 207 DI wheel was because I have seen an existing fitment.

Quote:
And here's two more pics of the actuator. Hope this give a clearer pic. (Note: my FIP is a Lucas - not a Bosch)
Perhaps the make of the FIP is the reason why the actuator has been fitted this way. The linkage looks much more complex than the simple triangular one seen on the MICO unit. Thanks a lot for the pics though. Clears up a lot of things for me.

- Bullitt
Old 21st November 2011, 12:37   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Perhaps we can just spruce up the existing wheel with some polish and a cover to make it look good.
Get a leather cover for it. I got my steering cover replaced for 800/-. This included the leather & a good foam base.

Yes, Safari & Grande are beige color.

Quote:
The linkage looks much more complex than the simple triangular one seen on the MICO unit.
Many Victa's came with a Bosch FIP. So just check with the T.A.S.S for it.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 14:06   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post

@Saptarshi - The interiors are really looking good man!!! Nice work!

Quote:
The 4-spoke 207 DI steering is a direct fit. Looks very much like the steering on my Turbo, but it has 2 buttons for the horn instead of the huge center horn-pad. I also believe it is a little smaller, but I'm not too sure. I have seen one NA Sierra fitted with the same.

Looks great! Where did you get this done, and what was the cost?

I need to get my gear lever done like that, not sure where I can get it done like that. Do accessory shops do these jobs?

- Bullitt
Thanks. I got this done from Prabhadevi in Mumbai. The reference is given by GTO in the Mumbai directory for Seat Covers.

The seat covers should cost around Rs 3000. I wanted the work done same day so I paid him extra to put someone else's work on hold. He included the covers in same material for the Gear knob, the arm rests at the rear and the sun shade visors in the front seat. Overall a very good job done at a reasonable price (if you guys can bargain more then guess you can get a better deal out of him). Saw a brand new Thar getting the seat covers from him the other day.

He has more expensive fake leather too. But the cheap one that I bought has better ventilation and more suited with cars whose A/C might stop working anytime !

@ Condor: I also want to keep the stock steering wheel, but havent yet got the Logo to fit into the current steering wheel. Any palce you know of which might have it ?

I also fit the VKool film on the Sierra. Cost me Rs 6500. The rear windows take a lot of time and effort if you done want a 2 piece film with a cut across the top curved portion. Got the work done at Prabhadevi in Munmbai and the number is mentioned by GTO in the Mumbai Directory section.
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:32   #507
BHPian

saptarshi could you mind sharing where you got v kool at such a low price because i had got a quote of 5000 only for the front windshield and 20000 for the whole car.
IMHO the cheaper the fake leather the more hot it gets .
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:44   #508
BHPian

Quote:
saptarshi could you mind sharing where you got v kool at such a low price because i had got a quote of 5000 only for the front windshield and 20000 for the whole car.
IMHO the cheaper the fake leather the more hot it gets .

Sure. Check this link for the Vkool details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...vi-mumbai.html (Sunfilm - Vkool (Prabhadevi, Mumbai))

After the work he had to do on the Sierra (the work finished in 2 days as I had come in the evening) not sure if he will agree for the same price and might ask for a higher amount

I got the Economy version of V Kool. Shade was K37 I think. I did not get the front screen done. The quote for the front screen for the cheaper version was less than 5k though.

The seat cover seems fine currently and is not getting too hot. It is better than the previous seat covers that I had so dont have any reason to complain as such.
Old 26th November 2011, 09:39   #509
BHPian

Posting after quite sometime.

Firstly, Doctor saab you got a nice Grande there in one of my fav colours with a beautiful set of alloys. I would have suggested to have the seats covered with Red-Black combination seat covers to go with the exteriors.

Saptarshi B - your seats are neatly done.

Coming to my story - when coming back from my hometown to Bangalore, after Deepavali, I met with an accident trying to avoid a Tata Ace and hit my Sierra to a concrete pillar supporting a fly-over @ about 80kmph (had slowed down from higher speeds after noticing the Ace). Thanks to the Sierra not a single scratch on me! Infact, ZERO damage to the passenger compartment! Also, both the doors could be opened.

(Sorry no photos. It was toooo painful to see the beast in that state to take pictures)

The damage was on the left side and hence no major component got damaged (like radiator, engine). Even the front windshield had just got dislodged and was in one single piece! The damages - broken left suspension, lower arm and other associated components. There is a slight bend on the windshield frame which got noticed only when trying to fit the glass. Also, the chassis got slightly bent near the front left wheel.

Its nearly 4 weeks now since the repairs have started and I would be getting the beast by next week. Have left him at the care of a family friend whose ex-driver (who is very reliable and takes good care of cars) has some good contacts with some garage folks . Since its more than 200kms from Bangalore have just visited the car once (and that too the visit was short due to unavoidable reasons) when the tinkering work was in progress.

Now that they have anyways dismantled the AC and the dashbaord for tinkering purpose, I was wondering if it is worth to replace the existing Sierra blower with a SuperKing blower. Any suggestions? And how much would a new Superking blower would cost?
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 07:27   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, the car looks too good to be a parts mule. Good to hear that somebody has bought it, and is using it (hope so), in one piece.
What was the cost of replacing the PS steering box?

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2011 at 10:34. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote