Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th November 2011, 07:52   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
I was wondering if it is worth to replace the existing Sierra blower with a SuperKing blower. Any suggestions? And how much would a new Superking blower would cost?

I tried that first replacing the blower when the dashboard was dismantled during painting.that didn't exactly help much and ended up replacing the entire a/c unit after a while.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 20:26   #512
BHPian

drsk thanks for the complement since the rest of the interior is biege didnt want to mix it up.
By using a superking blowr and cooling coil the ac will be far more efficient the cost of a new unit in mumbai is around12 k plus pipes plus gas plus labor.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 11:29   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
... when coming back from my hometown to Bangalore, after Deepavali, I met with an accident...
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident bro. At the same time I'm glad that no one was hurt. Speaks volumes for the tank-like build of the Sierra.

However, the crappy brakes that come with it are a major sore point. I am guessing that the poor braking was partly responsible for what happened in your case.

Guys, I have noticed that when braking at high speeds, the front brakes on the Sierra tend to lock up, causing the car to continue skidding forward without gaining effective stoppage. I guess the front discs + rear drums combo, coupled with the archaic LSPV system (Load Sensing and Proportioning Valve, for the uninitiated), is causing this problem. I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to rectify this?

For example, what kind of braking system do the latest Victas / Grandes / Safaris use? Is it more effective than that of the Sierra? If so, can that system be retro-fitted to the Sierra?

Quote:
Now that they have anyways dismantled the AC and the dashbaord for tinkering purpose, I was wondering if it is worth to replace the existing Sierra blower with a SuperKing blower. Any suggestions? And how much would a new Superking blower would cost?
I had seen one Sierra fitted with the Superking blower, the highest blower speed (speed 4) throws out around 20% more air than the stock Sierra blower (speed 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
What was the cost of replacing the PS steering box?
A brand new PS steering box (Rane TRW make) costs 21K at market price, I managed to pull some strings and acquire it for 14K. It is the same unit that does duty in the Safari Dicor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
I tried that first replacing the blower when the dashboard was dismantled during painting.that didn't exactly help much and ended up replacing the entire a/c unit after a while.
Hey man, could you please elaborate on this? What parts did you replace, how much did it cost and what was the improvement you saw after the change? Did you switch to R134a from R12? Also, did you replace everything with stock parts or did you use enhanced aftermarket parts like Superking blower, larger compressor etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
drsk thanks for the complement since the rest of the interior is biege didnt want to mix it up.
By using a superking blowr and cooling coil the ac will be far more efficient the cost of a new unit in mumbai is around12 k plus pipes plus gas plus labor.
So shall we assume that the total works out to 15K?

- Bullitt
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:22   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Victa brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
.. what kind of braking system do the latest Victas / Grandes / Safaris use ? Is it more effective than that of the Sierra? If so, can that system be retro-fitted to the Sierra?
The Victa has the standard front disk + rear drum + LSPV. But got to check if it can be retrofitted to the Sierra. Logically, over the years, there should have been improvements in the set up used.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:32   #515
BHPian

Default Re: Victa brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Victa has the standard front disk + rear drum + LSPV. But got to check if it can be retrofitted to the Sierra. Logically, over the years, there should have been improvements in the set up used.
Do you experience wheel lockup under hard braking at ~80kmph plus speeds?

I frequently get the feeling that the LSPV has transferred all the braking power to the front wheels, thereby causing the front wheels to lock up while the rear ones continue to rotate. Not that I poked my head out of the window to check, but I can hear the front tyres squealing.

- Bullitt
Old 28th November 2011, 12:40   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you experience wheel lockup under hard braking at ~80kmph plus speeds?
Fortunately, no. Also, I have not had to do panic braking like that.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:56   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
... By using a superking blowr and cooling coil the ac will be far more efficient the cost of a new unit in mumbai is around12 k plus pipes plus gas plus labor.
Quote:
I had seen one Sierra fitted with the Superking blower, the highest blower speed (speed 4) throws out around 20% more air than the stock Sierra blower (speed 3).
Thanks for the feedback. My plan was to change just the blower to improve the cooling @ the rear seats and also believe it would cost in the range of 5K. If I get 20% more air at the back, that should be good enough for now, I guess.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident bro. At the same time I'm glad that no one was hurt. Speaks volumes for the tank-like build of the Sierra.

However, the crappy brakes that come with it are a major sore point. I am guessing that the poor braking was partly responsible for what happened in your case.
- Bullitt
Surely the tank-like build saved me. Any other car would have completely crumbled on impact at that speed.
Locked brakes, hmm, probably were partly responsible. I am not 100% sure of the feeling I got at that time. The opinion is only on trying to reconstruct the events and what possible actions I could have done to avoid the crash.
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:25   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately, no. Also, I have not had to do panic braking like that.
You should try it sometime, great way to get the good ol' heart pumping.

- Bullitt
Old 28th November 2011, 21:54   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Victa has the standard front disk + rear drum + LSPV. But got to check if it can be retrofitted to the Sierra.
Checked with my SA. The Victa's brake set up can be fitted onto to the Sierra.
Old 28th November 2011, 22:28   #520
BHPian

Well i can't help you with the price factor since i don't remember to be honest all i do remember is that the persistent problem remained that the a/c compressor gas was always getting low due to leak as soon as it was topped up it chilled to the bone.how ever as someone mentioned similarly,i had the entire unit replaced with a superking but again i cannot give you an estimate on how much the cost worked out to since it was done in a hurry prior to my wedding, all i can tell you was the job was messy with only the front aircon vents working and an external thermostat control switch. the cooling however was phenomenal better than anything the original could do without the aid of the rear vents.would i suggest you go a whole new superking a/c yes if you can afford it.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 08:57   #521
BHPian

i have used sierras all my life have panic breaked a few times and let me tell you in any vehicle without ABS the brakes will lock if they have to so no use changing the set up .
the only way to prevent the locking is by lifting your foot of the pedal and trying to pump the break if the situation permits.
Old 29th November 2011, 18:39   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Well i can't help you with the price factor since i don't remember to be honest all i do remember is that the persistent problem remained that the a/c compressor gas was always getting low due to leak as soon as it was topped up it chilled to the bone.
On hindsight, probably the cooling was getting reduced due to the gas leak.

Quote:
how ever as someone mentioned similarly,i had the entire unit replaced with a superking but again i cannot give you an estimate on how much the cost worked out to since it was done in a hurry prior to my wedding, all i can tell you was the job was messy with only the front aircon vents working and an external thermostat control switch. the cooling however was phenomenal better than anything the original could do without the aid of the rear vents.would i suggest you go a whole new superking a/c yes if you can afford it.
Hmm ... replacing the whole unit will be put on backburner for now. There are some higher priority works pending on it.

Quote:
i have used sierras all my life have panic breaked a few times and let me tell you in any vehicle without ABS the brakes will lock if they have to so no use changing the set up .
the only way to prevent the locking is by lifting your foot of the pedal and trying to pump the break if the situation permits.
Even I was of the opinion that a "good" driver should be able to pump the brakes. But, when the situation demanded din't even realise that the wheels were jammed (OR I am not yet a "good" driver )
Old 30th November 2011, 08:54   #523
BHPian

The comment of a ''good driver'' was not with reference to you i myself have broken a accents rear bumper .
The situation always DEMANDS the pumping the question is whether it PERMITS .
My point was that changing the brakes will not help .
Old 30th November 2011, 11:18   #524
BHPian

Quote:
I can understand if all 4 wheels lock up, but on the Sierra I have found that only the front wheels seem to lock up, while the rear wheels continue to push the vehicle forward, thereby reducing the efficacy of the front brakes.

This situation is similar to what would happen if one were riding a motorbike with front disk brakes at high speed, and suddenly jams the front brakes only. In all probability, the bike will flip and throw the rider off (I have seen this happen, not a pretty sight).

For obvious reasons, the Sierra cannot flip over that way unless its a Sunny Deol action flick (Thank God for that ), but the reduction in rear wheel braking by the LSPV system bothers me.

- Bullitt
Old 30th November 2011, 11:24   #525
BHPian

Quote:
The comment of a ''good driver'' was not with reference to you i myself have broken a accents rear bumper .
The situation always DEMANDS the pumping the question is whether it PERMITS .
My point was that changing the brakes will not help .
Got your point.
My earlier msg was not a reply to your's but just a reflection of my own thoughts on brakes getting jammed and ABS.

PS: I like your signature.