Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th November 2011, 11:40   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
.. on the Sierra I have found that only the front wheels seem to lock up, while the rear wheels continue to push the vehicle forward, thereby reducing the efficacy of the front brakes.

.. the reduction in rear wheel braking by the LSPV system bothers me.
So do you want to try the rear brake set-up from the Victa ? Atleast the LSPV ?

Note:
If the correct name of this part is "ASSY.VACUUM BRAKE VALVE WITH TMC/BOTTLE", then it would cost about 5.5k in T.A.S.S
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:00   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So do you want to try the rear brake set-up from the Victa ? Atleast the LSPV ?

Note:
If the correct name of this part is "ASSY.VACUUM BRAKE VALVE WITH TMC/BOTTLE", then it would cost about 5.5k in T.A.S.S
I'm not sure about the part name. The Sierra owners manual refers to it as the "G Conscious Pressure reducing valve".

It looks like the Victa is using the same system that the Sierra uses. In fact, since the entire Sierra/Estate/207/Sumo/Safari (old) range has been built on the same chassis, I am guessing that they all use the same LSPV system. (The Safari Dicor may be an exception, since it employs ABS.) Hence, there doesn't seem to be any benefit in swapping one for the other.

I actually wanted to discuss more on the merits/de-merits of the LSPV system itself, and whether any configuration changes can be made to improve the braking ability of the Sierra. For example, the valve body has been mounted at a 28 degree angle. What will happen if this is changed to 30 degrees?

I browsed through a few Toyota user forums and found that a lot of truck owners who used high-lift suspension systems or spacers to increase the height of their trucks, wanted to lower the mounting height of the LSPV, as it was making the trucks unstable. How does that work?

These are some questions that popped up in my mind. I am hoping someone familiar with braking systems can elaborate further on how these systems are designed and configured, and how they can be tweaked for better performance.

- Bullitt
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 16:25   #528
BHPian

what a wonderful thread.

I was (and still am) a big fan and admirer of Sierra since it was launched but could never convince my family to buy one and slowly the dream of owning one vanished away from my mind too. Reading about all these beauties (and associated problems) has again ignited the desire to own one. Lately the lady of my life has been complaining about the low seating position of OHC and is urging me to buy an SUV; probably i should coin the idea of selling my OHC and buying a Sierra and a Nano with that money.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 18:23   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bullitt : The Sierra owners manual refers to it as the "G Conscious Pressure reducing valve".
Name in the Victa literature is the same.

Quote:
Bullitt : It looks like the Victa is using the same system that the Sierra uses. In fact, since the entire Sierra/Estate/207/Sumo/Safari (old) range has been built on the same chassis, I am guessing that they all use the same LSPV system.
From what I have seen on the Victa itself, there were small changes and these improvements seemed to quitely make it to production.

Quote:
Bullitt : .. whether any configuration changes can be made to improve the braking ability of the Sierra. For example, the valve body has been mounted at a 28 degree angle. What will happen if this is changed to 30 degrees?
IIRC, we had discussed LSPV in one of the other threads, but I am not able to find it. But if I remember right, the LSPV & settings are tied together. I dont think you can make changes to the angle without affecting the working of the valve. What I will suggest is to try & put the newer Victa valve. My reasoning is that, the Sierra's set up was older. Tata has been making changes, and Victa has regularly been getting the relevant changes. Even from year to year, you can see the differences in the set-up.

Quote:
Bullitt : .. braking systems .. and how they can be tweaked for better performance.
as was said elsewhere on TBHP, pls do not play around with settings on components that involve safety.

Quote:
infotech58 (Tata Sierra Turbo: Queries) : I was (and still am) a big fan and admirer of Sierra since it was launched but could never convince my family to buy one and slowly the dream of owning one vanished away from my mind too.
Welcome to the club ! Actually, there are many of us who love the Sierra, but we dont have one. I would have loved to have one, too. It's just the love for this unique vehicle that keeps me & a few others hooked to & participate in this thread.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 00:24   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
I tried that first replacing the blower when the dashboard was dismantled during painting.that didn't exactly help much and ended up replacing the entire a/c unit after a while.
Replacing the entire AC unit to Super king is the only solution to Tata sierra, First I tried to increase the blower speed but No much improvement, So I removed complete unit and fitted Super king unit directly behind existing AC middle windows and I removed glove box, Original AC controls and fitted super king grill on the dash board. Now it is with 134D gas converted and chilled the cabin including read seat from the front 3 AC windows at mid day in 2 minutes.Costs me 15K total. I will post pic soon.
shankarggp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 12:01   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
what a wonderful thread.

I was (and still am) a big fan and admirer of Sierra since it was launched but could never convince my family to buy one and slowly the dream of owning one vanished away from my mind too. Reading about all these beauties (and associated problems) has again ignited the desire to own one. Lately the lady of my life has been complaining about the low seating position of OHC and is urging me to buy an SUV; probably i should coin the idea of selling my OHC and buying a Sierra and a Nano with that money.

Welcome to the thread. I have wanted this vehicle for a really long time and finally found the Sierra after 2 years of searching! The Sierra has its set of problems but thankfully mine has not troubled me (not too much)

After selling your OHC I think you can probably buy 2 Sierras and a Nano
Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 12:16   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Welcome to the thread. I have wanted this vehicle for a really long time and finally found the Sierra after 2 years of searching! The Sierra has its set of problems but thankfully mine has not troubled me (not too much)

Good to know that you have a trouble free Sierra and I wish this experience continues for you. you have a really clean example of Sierra. Do you stay in Thane (MH04 registration)?

Yes, i probably can buy two Sierras and a Nano; if first Sierra breaks down, i can fall back to the next one, if that breaks down too, NANO should be reliable enough to take me around.

One of my cousins had bought a Sierra 4-5 yrs. ago and paid 40k (used cars are cheap in Punjab) but soon got fed up with the ongoing issues with the vehicle and sold it for 40k. I had driven it for few days and it did have a very good road presence.

Last edited by infotech58 : 1st December 2011 at 12:19.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:54   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Looking at teambhp classifieds, I doubt it if you could even buy 2 Sierra's after selling the OHC!

2000 model Turbo asking Rs.2L
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Sierra.html/

1997 model Std asking Rs. 2.2L
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Sierra.html/

Last edited by drsk : 2nd December 2011 at 11:56.
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 20:11   #534

Check out my Tata Sierra Turbo 2002 model
Attached Images

skumar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 10:29   #535
BHPian

welcome to the fold.good looking neat and clean vehicle congrats.
please post interior pictures specially the dashboard and the instrument cluster which looks great in this model.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 23:49   #536
BHPian

Looks good. Let me know if you ever selling it !
Saptarshi B is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 12:51   #537

autoguru one of the good practioner from Thane (Mumbai)suggest the best on vehicles. ask him
prakashf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 11:40   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar7 View Post
Check out my Tata Sierra Turbo 2002 model
Wow! The car looks great! Please do post the interior images too!
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 14:38   #539

Sorry for the delay in uploading the interior pics....Here you go...
Attached Images

skumar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 21:34   #540
BHPian

So what's been done to the rear seat ? A 2+1+1 seating arrangement ?
Saptarshi B is offline   Reply With Quote