Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 20:01   #1486
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
I am using a sx4 diesel with 65000 kms on the oddo. I have been using mobil 5w40 semi synthetic from maruti ass. The recommended rating given in owners manual is ACEA A3/B3 5W40.I would like to shift to fully synthetic oil. Which would be the best? Is it good to shift to fully synthetic at 65000 km. I am considering
1)mobil delvac1 5w40(api ci4 rating) Is the delvac1 a truck engine oil? Is it suited for the small fiat multijet.
2) Shell helix ultra 5w40( meets acea a3/b3 requirement given in manual but its only CF.Is this more suited to petrol engines)
3) Castrol edge 5w40 (meets acea a3/b3 but its only CF4. Is this more suited to petrol engines?)
4)Mitasu 5w40 engine. It has got CI4 rating. Its on sale on amazon. Bit too costly at 5186 Rs for 4 litres.http://www.amazon.in/MITASU-5W-40-CI...0921041&sr=1-4
Can I use 15w40 engine oil with ch4 or higher rating in the sx4 diesel?
Delvac 1 by all means.All multijet owners are happy with it.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 22:51   #1487
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 119
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Castrol has launched a new CI4 oil named VECTON , anybody used this ?
M124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 14:45   #1488
BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 996
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

I know the Delvac 1 is a favourite among Verna CRDi owners but it's a bit expensive.

Can someone suggest any other oil for the Verna CRDi which is close to the API-CH4 grade ,is 15W 40 or 10W 30 and doesn't cost more than 500-600Rs per liter ?
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 15:17   #1489
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,145
Thanked: 702 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I know the Delvac 1 is a favourite among Verna CRDi owners but it's a bit expensive.

Can someone suggest any other oil for the Verna CRDi which is close to the API-CH4 grade ,is 15W 40 or 10W 30 and doesn't cost more than 500-600Rs per liter ?
Mobil Delvac MX: http://www.mobil.com/India-English/L...MX_15W-40.aspx

I am currently using this oil in my Scorpio, and no complaints till now.

Both these are not synthetic oils though, if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th September 2015 at 15:20.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 15:36   #1490
BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 996
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Mobil Delvac MX: http://www.mobil.com/India-English/L...MX_15W-40.aspx

Both these are not synthetic oils though, if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Vikram
What is the price of the Mobil Delvac MX 15W 40 oil and how often does this oil needs to be replaced at ?
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 15:39   #1491
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,145
Thanked: 702 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
What is the price of the Mobil Delvac MX 15W 40 oil and how often does this oil needs to be replaced at ?
It's been a while since I used it (last time was in early 2014 for my Scorpio, I think), but should be hovering around Rs.300-350 per liter probably. You can easily keep a drain interval of 10k kms between oil changes.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th September 2015 at 15:42.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 16:03   #1492
BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 996
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
It's been a while since I used it (last time was in early 2014 for my Scorpio, I think), but should be hovering around Rs.300-350 per liter probably. You can easily keep a drain interval of 10k kms between oil changes.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram. This seems like a good VFM oil. Will the engine be smooth or rough compared to the synthetic oil or no difference at all ?
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 16:15   #1493
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,145
Thanked: 702 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks Vikram. This seems like a good VFM oil. Will the engine be smooth or rough compared to the synthetic oil or no difference at all ?
You're welcome.

I've never used synthetic oil, so can't say anything about the comparison Maybe someone else who has used both types can answer your question.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 16:19   #1494
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,132 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks Vikram. This seems like a good VFM oil. Will the engine be smooth or rough compared to the synthetic oil or no difference at all ?
Delvac 1 is definitely makes the engine more smoother by around 30-40%. The best thing is the engine smoothness does not taper until the oil is used for more than 10K kms. Only after 10K do i see a decrease in refinement of engine. I change it every 1 year or 15K kms.

However if you intend to change the oil every 5K kms then it makes sense to go for MX
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 16:28   #1495
BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 996
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Delvac 1 is definitely makes the engine more smoother by around 30-40%. The best thing is the engine smoothness does not taper until the oil is used for more than 10K kms. Only after 10K do i see a decrease in refinement of engine. I change it every 1 year or 15K kms.

However if you intend to change the oil every 5K kms then it makes sense to go for MX
Delvac 1 seems like an overkill for fluidic verna CRDi with it's ratings and it's more expensive. Is there a cheaper synthetic oil than Delvac 1 that's somewhere close to it's smoothness and property.

Also can't any mineral oil be used upto 10,000 Km , do all need to be changed by 5,000 kms ?
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 16:41   #1496
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,132 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Delvac 1 seems like an overkill for fluidic verna CRDi with it's ratings and it's more expensive. Is there a cheaper synthetic oil than Delvac 1 that's somewhere close to it's smoothness and property.

Also can't any mineral oil be used upto 10,000 Km , do all need to be changed by 5,000 kms ?
I am not aware of any other cheaper synthetic oil available which meets the requirements of Verna engine.

Mineral oil can be stretched to 10k. But the engine would be gruff after 5k and you may be pushing the engine since Verna is a pretty high revving diesel.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 17:42   #1497
BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 996
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Delvac 1 is definitely makes the engine more smoother by around 30-40%. The best thing is the engine smoothness does not taper until the oil is used for more than 10K kms. Only after 10K do i see a decrease in refinement of engine. I change it every 1 year or 15K kms.

However if you intend to change the oil every 5K kms then it makes sense to go for MX
I want the interval to be 10,000 Km but it must be safe for the engine as well so I guess synthetic is better.

I've found these oils online , how are they ? They are both API-SN specified though . Can they be used on CRDi engines ?

1) Shell Helix HX7 10W-40

2) Shell Helix HX5 15W-40
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 18:16   #1498
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I want the interval to be 10,000 Km but it must be safe for the engine as well so I guess synthetic is better.
Synthetic is better. No doubt. I tried mineral oil two times consecutively for 10K kms each but didn't like the feel.

Till 5K kms it was smooth and good but later on it felt rough. Hence changed to synthetic and kept using it thereon.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 19:47   #1499
BHPian
 
fireblade007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kollam
Posts: 139
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Can I top up synthetic with semi synthetic oil? Any problem with shifting from synthetic to semi synthetic in case of ddis?
fireblade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 20:01   #1500
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
Can I top up synthetic with semi synthetic oil? Any problem with shifting from synthetic to semi synthetic in case of ddis?
Shouldn't be a problem mostly as it is semi-synthetic + synthetic. Not sure how the resultant oil behave if mineral + synthetic is blended.

Chemical experts please pitch-in.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks