Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th October 2016, 23:47   #1621

Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
After about 80,000km it is normal for the clearances of the sleave bearings of the crankshaft to increase minutely and hence your best choice would be the Delvac 5W40 synthetic, but if you are going to change it frequently good quality 10W40 will also do.
Thanks drpullockaran for the advice. The engine oil is recommended in the manual to be acea B1/B5 rated whereas Delvac 1 5w40 is rated E7/E4; so will it affect my engine in any adverse way? After searching for B1/B5 oil, found that there is one Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5w30 which is specified to be B5, is it ok to go with this oil?
Quote:
If you have tuned your vehicle for more torque then stick to synthetic.
Haven't done any engine tune up.
rupdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 13:00   #1622
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
Thanks drpullockaran for the advice. The engine oil is recommended in the manual to be acea B1/B5 rated whereas Delvac 1 5w40 is rated E7/E4; so will it affect my engine in any adverse way? After searching for B1/B5 oil, found that there is one Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5w30 which is specified to be B5, is it ok to go with this oil?

Haven't done any engine tune up.
B1/B5 is the lowest quality passenger car diesel engine oil available off the shelf in the European market. E4/E7 is a much better quality of diesel engine oil. Any 5W40 grade engine oil is good enough for your car and is actually overkill. If it were my car 5W40 semi synthetic is what I would use and the cheapest available in the Indian market. Save money and change the oil more frequently. To pamper your engine change the oil at 3/4th of the recommended KM reading. IF the car is used within the city and in traffic change the oil at half the recommended km reading. For the Cruze the interval is at 15000km but I change it at 10000km and the engine is in pristine condition even after 1,59,000km with about 300ml oil consumption in 10,000km. I travel 50% of the time in the city.

http://www.kuttenkeuler.de/kkweb/Dow...jectId=1000460
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 23:26   #1623

Quote:
Any 5W40 grade engine oil is good enough for your car and is actually overkill. If it were my car 5W40 semi synthetic is what I would use and the cheapest available in the Indian market.
Thanks for the info. Could you please recommend a good 5w40 semi-synth oil? Infact AJ-got-BHP also advised me to go semi-synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Since, you are based in Kolkata, I would recommend you to use a Semi-Synthetic Oil considering the weather conditions here. With respect to my observations and readings I have found them to perform better in our kind of climate over mineral & fully synthetic oils.
Quote:
IF the car is used within the city and in traffic change the oil at half the recommended km reading.
My car runs only in Kolkata with very rare highway trips, less than 5000 kms till date out of the 84000 kms and not a single one in the last 15000 kms. I'm planning to go for 5000 kms oil change schedule from the earlier 10k during extended warranty period.
Old 18th October 2016, 22:43   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Could you please recommend a good 5w40 semi-synth oil? Infact AJ-got-BHP also advised me to go semi-synth.
Since you drive in the city and the conditions rape the car every day, you may use this. It is the best for your particular FIAT engine.
http://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-5W-.../dp/B00SIXYHS2
Old 18th October 2016, 22:47   #1625

Quote:
Since you drive in the city and the conditions rape the car every day, you may use this. It is the best for your particular FIAT engine.
http://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-5W-.../dp/B00SIXYHS2
Thank you so much, but I've got a diesel Nissan Micra with a Renault 1.5 K9K dci engine not a Fiat engine.
Old 24th October 2016, 20:55   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much, but I've got a diesel Nissan Micra with a Renault 1.5 K9K dci engine not a Fiat engine.
The engine in the Micra Diesel is far less stressed than the same engine in the duster in the 85 bhp guise. The engine you have is far more sturdier than the smaller cubic capacity FIAT engine. Any semi synth 5w40 oil will do. 10w40 can be given the miss.
Old 24th October 2016, 21:35   #1627

Quote:
The engine in the Micra Diesel is far less stressed than the same engine in the duster in the 85 bhp guise. The engine you have is far more sturdier than the smaller cubic capacity FIAT engine. Any semi synth 5w40 oil will do. 10w40 can be given the miss.
Thank you. I'm planning to go for either Shell Helix HX7 5w30 or Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5w30 ( both are semi-synth) as 5w40 semi-synth are not that easily available here. If I get hold of a good 5w40 I would buy that and not considering 10w40.

Regards.
Old 25th October 2016, 22:21   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I'm planning to go for either Shell Helix HX7 5w30 or Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5w30 ( both are semi-synth) as 5w40 semi-synth are not that easily available here. If I get hold of a good 5w40 I would buy that and not considering 10w40.

Regards.
If your car is more than 80,000km it is possible that the clearences have increased between the bore and the rings. If you have more than half a liter of oil consumption between oil changes I would suggest you switch over to 5W40 grade oil even if it is synthetic especially if the ambient temperatures hover above 40 degrees centigrade in the place you drive. This upgrade for Rs 2000 every oil change will ensure that your engine lasts about 2,50,000km. I know of a Taxi with your engine that has crossed 3,00,000km. Hey I just realized you are from Kolkatha. I studied at St Xaviers, Park Circus and used to stay at Army Havelock lines near Ordinance club during the years 1973 to 1976

Last edited by drpullockaran : 25th October 2016 at 22:23.
Old 26th October 2016, 08:15   #1629

Quote:
If your car is more than 80,000km it is possible that the clearences have increased between the bore and the rings. If you have more than half a liter of oil consumption between oil changes I would suggest you switch over to 5W40 grade oil even if it is synthetic especially if the ambient temperatures hover above 40 degrees centigrade in the place you drive.
There are plenty of synthetic 5w40 available in the market such as Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil Delvac 1, Mobil Super 3000 so I can choose any of them. The temperature in Kolkata hovers around 40 in the summer months while during this part of the year it is between 30-32. I've to check the oil consumption rate the next time I go for the oil change. If I switch to synthetic I can stick to the 10k oil change schedule I guess. Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Hey I just realized you are from Kolkata. I studied at St Xaviers, Park Circus and used to stay at Army Havelock lines near Ordinance club during the years 1973 to 1976.
Wow that's interesting info. Please try to visit Kolkata whenever you get time.
Old 27th October 2016, 07:51   #1630
BHPian

Quote:

Wow that's interesting info. Please try to visit Kolkata whenever you get time.
A small correction the school was Don Bosco school in Kolkata. This is the school that had a major fire yesterday. I studied in Xaviers in New Delhi.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote