Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 15:20   #271
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,550
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
This brings me to an interesting question. Most of the manufacturers recommend oil change either after XXX Km or YY months time limit example 5000 km or 6 months which ever is earlier in case of Maruti.

Is it a big scam to bring people to service station ? Most of the vehicles in smaller towns are low mileage and change oil as per schedule,

If Oil can be stored in barrel why not in engine sump for same time if vehicle is not driven ? Engine is also sealed so question of absorbing moisture does not arise.
There is a reason behind why manufacturers' recommend oil change based on time interval. It is not a scam. Oil in engine is not sealed. It comes in contact with atmospheric air on an average 2000 times every minute while running and will be exposed to air even while stationery. Oil deteriorates when exposed to atmospheric air as well as water contained in it.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 22:12   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 650 Times
Default

I agree there is a shelf life for everything. I checked with Chevron India and also consulted many others.

The oil will get spoilt if it comes in contact with moisture. As long as you keep it moisture free, you can store it for over a year.

Now, in my case, I've two trucks that take 6 and 6.5 ltrs of oil at every service. I picked up 3 buckets of Delo 400 of 15 ltrs each. Practically, a bucket is emptied at every service. The balance 2.5 ltrs is brought back in the same bucket that is airtight and kept. Both the trucks go in for service at every 7.5K kms. Currently have 2 sealed buckets lying with me. No worries..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Stock for 6 to 7 Services ? what is the shelf life , wont it deteriorate.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 09:30   #273
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Castrol GTX diesel is API-CH4.
Its GTD which is API-CF4
Now if an oil is API CH4 and 15W40 (CRB Turbo), why cannot it be used in passenger cars also? After all it meets the grade and viscosity requirements?
Maybe the higher detergent levels in a product ( crb turbo API-CH4) meant for heavy load diesel engines, is not good for our smaller motors.
I feel the Valvoline CF4 all climate diesel used with ABRO premium oil treatment fared better in my Indigo TC as the engine felt smoother almost throughout the drain interval. according to my observation, on putting the crb turbo , FE improved quite immediately , but the engine felt a little less smoother as km piled on. I had earlier experienced the same IN my NA india with MOBIL delvac MX.
Maybe it best to stick with a API -CF4 ( 15W-40 ) which is compatible with Turbo charged diesel motors fitted with EGR.
But the telco recommended GTD is really is poor IMO , the HP MIlcy seems better oil.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 13th January 2010 at 09:33.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 10:04   #274
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,550
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Maybe the higher detergent levels in a product ( crb turbo API-CH4) meant for heavy load diesel engines, is not good for our smaller motors.
I feel the Valvoline CF4 all climate diesel used with ABRO premium oil treatment fared better in my Indigo TC as the engine felt smoother almost throughout the drain interval. according to my observation, on putting the crb turbo , FE improved quite immediately , but the engine felt a little less smoother as km piled on. I had earlier experienced the same IN my NA india with MOBIL delvac MX.
Maybe it best to stick with a API -CF4 ( 15W-40 ) which is compatible with Turbo charged diesel motors fitted with EGR.
But the telco recommended GTD is really is poor IMO , the HP MIlcy seems better oil.
I don't think this logic carries any weight for the simple reason that when we switch from Mineral to Synthetic then we would have to experience roughness in the engine as synthetic has more detergent than mineral. That is not the case as we find engines much smoother on synthetic than mineral oils.

Currently I am using Mobil Delvac MX for last 12000 kms changed once already after 10000 kms and now I find my engine butter smooth.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 10:12   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

TSK1979 did you get a chance to try Castrol CRB Turbo if yes is it in your Safari or Indica ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
TIt is not a scam. Oil in engine is not sealed. It comes in contact with atmospheric air on an average 2000 times every minute while running and will be exposed to air even while stationery. Oil deteriorates when exposed to atmospheric air as well as water contained in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Oil stored in sump is not pure oil. It will have carbon from engine, sulfur residue and some metal shavings too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I agree there is a shelf life for everything. I checked with Chevron India and also consulted many others.

The oil will get spoilt if it comes in contact with moisture. As long as you keep it moisture free, you can store it for over a year.
Thanks for explanation guys.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:13   #276
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post

Currently I am using Mobil Delvac MX for last 12000 kms changed once already after 10000 kms and now I find my engine butter smooth.
I guess you have a butter smooth motor to begin with . Mine is slightly more agricultural as compared to the QJD.
I can procure the Mobil delvac at lesser cost than the CRB turbo. I ought to stick to the exxon product i guess.
SO for a TC Indigo , Mobil Delvac MX (15W-40) API- CI4 or SHELL HELIX HX6 -API-CH4 Or Castrol CRB Turbo - ch4 or Valvoline/ HP Milcy CH4 ?
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:18   #277
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Hi has anyone here tried Valvoline All climate diesel here over a period of time ?

Lubricants ::Valvoline Cummins::

a 5 lit pack ( 4 + 1 LIT EXTRA ) is available for Rs.800/- ( Rs.848 MRP ).
Not a bad idea to stock a couple of cans if one changes oil at 5000km interval or 6 months instead of the telco specified.

i guess its one of the cheapest oil . even the Servo API- CF4 costs more than this.
is there a catch ?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 13th January 2010 at 22:20.
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:41   #278
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Shell Helix Diesel HX6 - INDIA

This Shell Helix HX6 API-CH4 (15W-40) exceeds the API -CF4+ Requirement for my indigo diesel.
Now the above product info page mentions that the oil is suitable for turbocharged and DI intercooled engine.
My question is an oil suitable for turbocharged DI intercooled engine good enough for a turbocharged IDI engine ?
Very confusing ....
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:53   #279
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Also a query - Acording to the indigo TC engine manual - engine oil quantity for the 475 IDI is 5.5 lit.
Yet in reality with only 5 lit. the oil level on dip stick exceed the max level mark.

So actually how much oil is really needed ?

Is Tata is fooling customers at the TASS by charging for say 600 ml of oil which is never put ?
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 10:30   #280
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 240 Times
Default

have just used mobil 1 for my 3rd service of my safari and there is a discernible difference in the way the engine is now behaving. it is DEFINITELY quieter and the vibrations filtering through into the cabin are on a scale of 1 to 10 at a 2 now.

it is really pricey as an oil (6400 for 8 litres) outside but the dealerships / service stations are a huge rip off at 9600 for 8 litres! but with the sort of driving we have been putting the safari through, my gut feeling is that it is worth the investment.. will update in a couple of months as to what the engine is REALLY doing
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 00:42   #281
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,957
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnoon
Also a query - Acording to the indigo TC engine manual - engine oil quantity for the 475 IDI is 5.5 lit.
Yet in reality with only 5 lit. the oil level on dip stick exceed the max level mark.

So actually how much oil is really needed ?
500ml from the last oil change got left inside.

@btb: For the Safari 2.2, try sourcing the Mobil Delvac 1.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 02:10   #282
BHPian
 
ishlinea7260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ambala
Posts: 294
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

guys any idea which engine oil will best suit linea mjd?
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 14:13   #283
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
500ml from the last oil change got left inside.

@btb: For the Safari 2.2, try sourcing the Mobil Delvac 1.
Any idea how you drain off the entire oil ?
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 18:07   #284
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Any idea how you drain off the entire oil ?
The best way is to drain oil when the engine has achieved its optimum running tempreature and wait for atleast 15mins before pouring out the oil as all the oil in the pistons,.. parts needs to be settled down.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 18:56   #285
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The best way is to drain oil when the engine has achieved its optimum running tempreature and wait for atleast 15mins before pouring out the oil as all the oil in the pistons,.. parts needs to be settled down.
well i always do that and also jack up the car on one side. i still fail to get why ~ 500 ml of old oil can remain inside ?
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks