Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 08:15   #811
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,618
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Request somebody pls suggest a good vw 540 00 compliant oil for laura tsi.

Checked Mobil1 but one I could lay hands on (5W-40) was vw 505 00 compliant. Couldn't find castrol esge 5W-30 which is supposed to be 504 00 compliant. Not comfortable buying fron dealer as he's giving a fill by the litre from a drum and I don't trust them to know the grades.
Hi Bloodred.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w 40 would do nicely for your Laura TSI. I recently topped up about 750 ml on my TSI as well. The manual says it has to be VW 504 compliant. On the Shell Helix ultra can you will find that it is VW 502 compliant. Vinayak Skoda specifically recommended Shell helix Ultra 5w 40 to me, when the time for top came up. According to Skoda website FAQs, you can top up with either VW 502 or VW 504 for the 1.8 TSI.

PS : You get it in 1 litre cans as well.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Diesel engine oils-laura-oil.jpg  


Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th August 2011 at 08:16.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:16   #812
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 144
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura Engine Oil

Thanks Santoshbhat, hemen.

But does it mean that oils meeting VW 504 00 specifications are not availalbe in India? Has anybody come across a VW 504 00 compliant oil in Indian market?
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:36   #813
BHPian
 
ad75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 264
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi AD !

Ford Ikon 1.8D ! Assuming its old and have lot on the odo , stick to 20w-40.
If its low run , you can switch to any 15w-40 CF4+ or higher ( I.E. CH / CJ /CI.... rated oil.)
Gear oil - SPIROL TQ/ MOBIL ATF if the gears are synchromesh and is in good condition.
If there is a lot of lash in the gear , then any 75w-90 / 85 w -90 EP /HP gear oil would do.
castrol / mobil / Mak / HP brand would be better.
avoid servo / gulf/ veedol.
Hi HIGHNOON
Thanks for the reply
you are right, its old, the odo shows 74k kms but not sure how genuine it is.the prevoius owner however claims it to be genuine.

Am not sure which oil is currently there in the car, the owner was vague in his reply.he said any 20w 40 would do.

now, if 20-40 is being used, will shift to 15-40 create any issues like, oil consumption etc?

GB seems to be in good shape, shifts are perfect.

Last edited by ad75 : 8th August 2011 at 12:38. Reason: spelling
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 13:09   #814
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,618
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Thanks Santoshbhat, hemen.

But does it mean that oils meeting VW 504 00 specifications are not availalbe in India? Has anybody come across a VW 504 00 compliant oil in Indian market?
See if you can get Shell Helix Ultra 5W 30 , which I believe is VW 504 compliant.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 19:37   #815
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
Hi HIGHNOON
Thanks for the reply
you are right, its old, the odo shows 74k kms but not sure how genuine it is.the prevoius owner however claims it to be genuine.

Am not sure which oil is currently there in the car, the owner was vague in his reply.he said any 20w 40 would do.

now, if 20-40 is being used, will shift to 15-40 create any issues like, oil consumption etc?

.
After a longish run when the engine is hot, Shut it off. then open the oil filler cap and observe for any smoke rising from it. If there is no smoke , you can very easily switch to 15w-40.
If there is a bit of smoke , then stick with 20w-40.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 09:07   #816
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 580
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Cross posting from the Manza review thread. Just got my car (Manza QJD )out of 3rd service (10K) at VST. Wanted a oil change and the SA was advising against it. I insisted but then backed out as VST uses Mobil 1 0W40 for all Manza's (diesel and petrol).

Per my reading of diesel synthetics in this forum, Mobil 1 0W40 is not the right choice and the Manza manual is confusing in this regard. On the specification, it states 5W40 synthetic but on the list of recommended brands, it states Mobil1 0W40 or Petronas selenia 5W40 synthetic. SA who was adamant that they have been using Mobil 1 on all cars and even Mobil1 is used in all new cars.

I am confused on whether
1) I should change the oil at some other place with Mobil Delvalac or Shell Ultra Diesel?

2) If yes, does changing the oil outside of TASS affect any warranty claims?

3) Would they even know if we changed them outside as long as we change again at 20k at TASS?

4) or check out other TASS who use Selenia.

Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 09:30   #817
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
I am confused on whether
1) I should change the oil at some other place with Mobil Delvalac or Shell Ultra Diesel?

2) If yes, does changing the oil outside of TASS affect any warranty claims?

3) Would they even know if we changed them outside as long as we change again at 20k at TASS?

4) or check out other TASS who use Selenia.

Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.
Xw40 is the recommended oil you can safely use for your car. where X represents any number it might be 0 or 5 0r 10 or 15 or 20.

1) You can safely do that.

2) Yes, but untill you tell them, they would'nt know that you have changed oil outside. Just make sure that you change the oil at SC at prescribed intervals as mentioned in the manual too.

3) No! they are too Humans no extra-intelligent personalities although you might find the opposite there.

Thanks.

Last edited by mercedised : 9th August 2011 at 09:32.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 10:36   #818
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

@sridhar !

Changing oil outside may affect warranty in case of engine related problem in warranty.
0W-40 Mobil 1 is better than 5w-40. The wider the range , the better the oil in laymen's term. The oil retains its characterisitic at a wider range of ambient temperature.
Now if this costs substantially more to you than say 5w-40 which the co. has specified , you can get it done at a different T.A.S.S. or ask them to provide the cheaper synthetic oil. And if they try to coerce you to go for the more expensive stuff , simply warn them that you'll escalate the matter with tata motors.
Dont get it done outside this early. after warranty surely.
Otherwise this oil is indeed better.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 11:59   #819
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,645
Thanked: 3,060 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Changing oil outside may affect warranty in case of engine related problem in warranty.
As long the oil meets or exceeds the specifications it can not. The SA always tries to scare you but when push comes to shove they really cannot. I presume you are saying using outside or your own oil. To be extra sure mention the oil, specs and grade on the service sheet.

Last edited by sgiitk : 10th August 2011 at 12:04.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 11:46   #820
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

I am about to do self service of my Qualis, so i was wondering which is the engine oil that i should use for it, i am thinking of using mobil delvac mx, is that good for qualis.

Thanks
samy3660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 12:28   #821
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,149
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
I am about to do self service of my Qualis, so i was wondering which is the engine oil that i should use for it, i am thinking of using mobil delvac mx, is that good for qualis.

Thanks
Mobil Delvac MX is of 15W-40 grade and meets/exceeds API CI-4 specs. If this is the recommended grade/specs given in the Qualis user manual, then go ahead and use Mobil Delvac MX without any worries.

More info about the oil here: Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th August 2011 at 12:30.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 18:41   #822
BHPian
 
HIGHNOON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi MUMBAI
Posts: 483
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As long the oil meets or exceeds the specifications it can not. The SA always tries to scare you but when push comes to shove they really cannot. I presume you are saying using outside or your own oil. To be extra sure mention the oil, specs and grade on the service sheet.
I think they can if the manual is followed in spirit. Most things are clearly mentioned in the manual. By sticking to or following the manufacturer specified service form and content is one easy way for the manufacturer to ensure quality or standards.
Just as the manufacturer tries to scare you with the threat of voiding the warranty, whole lot of folks do not follow the guidelines or specification and then try to push and shove to get things done in warranty .
Authorized service stations are nowadays scared of bad PR and pushy customers.
For most of us , its safe to just follow the manual while in warranty, but if they are pushing more expensive lubes than required one ought to simply refuse .
HIGHNOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 19:12   #823
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 144
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Hi Bloodred.

According to Skoda website FAQs, you can top up with either VW 502 or VW 504 for the 1.8 TSI.
Hi. Checked the car manual. It says only VW 504 to be used for cars with QG1, while VW 502 is to be used for cars with service code QG0 or QG2. Skoda website has given a given a generic description without separating the oil grades as per service interval codes.

Given that the car I have (and I presume will be applicable for you too) has QG1 code, the correct oil should be VW 504. If I remember correctly, the manual also says that while VW 502 can be used once to top up, it shouldn't be used as a regular engine oil for this car.

Or am I being too fussy...
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:42   #824
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 580
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@sridhar !

Changing oil outside may affect warranty in case of engine related problem in warranty.
0W-40 Mobil 1 is better than 5w-40. The wider the range , the better the oil in laymen's term. The oil retains its characterisitic at a wider range of ambient temperature.
Now if this costs substantially more to you than say 5w-40 which the co. has specified , you can get it done at a different T.A.S.S. or ask them to provide the cheaper synthetic oil. And if they try to coerce you to go for the more expensive stuff , simply warn them that you'll escalate the matter with tata motors.
Dont get it done outside this early. after warranty surely.
Otherwise this oil is indeed better.
Thanks. The manual has two columns namely specification and recommended brands. 5W40 in the specification whilst Mobil 1 0W40 and Selenia 5W40 as the recommended brands. Cost wise both are similar but I was advised by a fellow owner not to go for Mobil 1 0W40 as it is not optimal for FIAT MJD engines and hence the confusion. Read about a similar issue with another SWIFT DDIS owner who went for shell helix ultra

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2335204
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:51   #825
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 519
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Thanks. The manual has two columns namely specification and recommended brands. 5W40 in the specification whilst Mobil 1 0W40 and Selenia 5W40 as the recommended brands. Cost wise both are similar but I was advised by a fellow owner not to go for Mobil 1 0W40 as it is not optimal for FIAT MJD engines and hence the confusion. Read about a similar issue with another SWIFT DDIS owner who went for shell helix ultra

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2335204
Sridhar - if you need to change the oil at TASS only to keep the warranty intact, go for Selenia WR 5W40. This is what I did at 35k km oil change in my manza. Car is now at 37k km and it's as smooth as it can be. Also Selenia is only Rs.600/L vs Mobil1 which is rs.1,100/L. Due to lesser price, it's easier on the pocket to change this oil every 10k km. This is Fiat OE oil for Linea and Punto with 15k km recommended change interval.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:27.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks