Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 11:24   #1261
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Thanks for your responses , deal is done for 10 K km as I keep the change interval to 10 - 12 K instead of recommended 15K because most of the drive is in city. I was filling GTX Diesel all along so wanted to try something else and the bug was set in by this thread itself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Amit you have the option for a better product.
Use CRB Turbo Castrol instead of GTX Diesel.
CRB Turbo is specially formulated for Turbo CRD diesel engines.
A 7.5 Litre bucket costs Rs. 2380
If you buy 5+1+1 it will cost 2300 which is better. The remanant .5 litre is a pain to carry and usually gets wasted.

And often there is a free gift as well with the 5 litre pack! An LED torch or an umbrella!
Are you saying this for CRB turbo available in India or outside ?

Asking this because both GTX Diesel 15W40 and CRB turbo 15W40 in India are API CH4 ,however in other markets I understand there is a CRB Turbo G3 which is CI4+.

Tata Motor recommends GTX Diesel for CRDi engines and CRB Turbo for Commercial vehicle engines.

However when I dig up product specification after reading your post both have similar but slightly different specifications.
I do not claim to understand function of viscosity index versus the engine noise at all but that is the thing which differs between the two

Viscosity Index of GTX Diesel is slightly higher 139 vs 133 for CRB Turbo
also Kinematic viscosity at 100 degree C is 14.7 as against 14.5 for CRB turbo but Kinematic viscosity at 40 degree C is lower 109 vs 110 for CRB.

Source of specifications


http://shrisaienter.com/demo/images/...SAE_15W-40.pdf

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/7D15452575B9A82A80257CB600406D09/$File/KRAE-9J2FVU.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Amit,the safari engine does not like Shell Rimula R4. Have heard few other users also mention about the NVH. AFAIK, castrol GTX and castrol CRB turbo are the best suited oils for this truck!
Ok Will change from Rimula R4 to something else after 10 K

Last edited by amitk26 : 1st July 2014 at 11:38.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 04:44   #1262
Newbie
 
Shadowbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 19
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Folks, i often keep wondering if the oils i use are really the best for the cars or if there are others out there that are better. I would like to take your opinion and put this doubt to rest. I will list out the cars against the current engine oil that is being used, kindly let me know if there is a better oil for the respective car, which you have tried and got good results out of.

Getz CRDi - Delvac 1
Elantra CRDi - Delvac 1
Skoda Octavia TDi - Mobil 1 0w40
Endeavour - Delvac 1
Terracan CRDi - Delvac MX

I'm not totally satisfied with the Mobil 1 0w40 in my Octavia, I feel the NVH levels have gone up from the stock castrol oil that the dealer uses, not completely sure though. So any suggestions on that front are welcome. Thanks
Shadowbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 08:18   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,862 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
I will list out the cars against the current engine oil that is being used, kindly let me know if there is a better oil for the respective car, which you have tried and got good results out of.

Getz CRDi - Delvac 1
Elantra CRDi - Delvac 1
Skoda Octavia TDi - Mobil 1 0w40
Endeavour - Delvac 1
Terracan CRDi - Delvac MX

So any suggestions on that front are welcome. Thanks
Since I see your location being same as mine i.e Hyderabad, I don't think you will need a 0W40 oil for the cars as the temperature doesn't go so low. Have you tried 5W40 instead? What is the recommended grade and manufacture by the respective companies?

You mentioned the grade being used only for the Octavia, what about the rest?

I have been using fully synthetic with the grade of 5W40 (On both my Ritz and Swift DDiS). Try them once.

Mobil Delvac and Mobil 1 are highly rated oils, I don't think you'll like anything else. Moreover all being diesel engines why don't you stick to Mobil 1 with 5W40 grade?!

Just my two cents. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:17   #1264
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,527
Thanked: 1,135 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
Folks, i often keep wondering if the oils i use are really the best for the cars or if there are others out there that are better. I would like to take your opinion and put this doubt to rest. I will list out the cars against the current engine oil that is being used, kindly let me know if there is a better oil for the respective car, which you have tried and got good results out of.

Getz CRDi - Delvac 1
Elantra CRDi - Delvac 1
Skoda Octavia TDi - Mobil 1 0w40
Endeavour - Delvac 1
Terracan CRDi - Delvac MX

I'm not totally satisfied with the Mobil 1 0w40 in my Octavia, I feel the NVH levels have gone up from the stock castrol oil that the dealer uses, not completely sure though. So any suggestions on that front are welcome. Thanks
Stick to Service center oil for Skoda. For all others go for either Delvac 1 or Delvac MX depending on how many kms the vehicle has run. Not recommended to change the engine oil to synthetic if its been running on mineral for more than 75K kms. Because it will do more harm than good.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:51   #1265
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
F

Getz CRDi - Delvac 1
Elantra CRDi - Delvac 1
Skoda Octavia TDi - Mobil 1 0w40
Endeavour - Delvac 1
Terracan CRDi - Delvac MX

I'm not totally satisfied with the Mobil 1 0w40 in my Octavia,
@Shadowbane - Interesting to see you have been using the best brew available for most of your rides

Just go ahead and replace the Octavia TDI (assuming it is i the old indirect injection and not the PD or CRDi) and Terracan with Delvac 1

You will love it
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:42   #1266
Newbie
 
Shadowbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 19
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You mentioned the grade being used only for the Octavia, what about the rest?
Hello Anurag,

Since Delvac 1 is available only in 5w-40 grade, dint feel the need to mention its grade whereas Mobil 1 is available in 0w40 and 5w50 grades. Correct me if i'm wrong. Delvac MX i guess is 15w40 grade. There's another form of Delvac 1 namely Delvac 1 ESP which is API-CJ4 rated but it isn't available in India yet, from what i've heard it is not suitable to Indian quality diesel. Something to do with the sulphur content found in our diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have been using fully synthetic with the grade of 5W40 (On both my Ritz and Swift DDiS). Try them once.
I'm guessing this is Delvac 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Mobil Delvac and Mobil 1 are highly rated oils, I don't think you'll like anything else. Moreover all being diesel engines why don't you stick to Mobil 1 with 5W40 grade?!
Do you mean Delvac 1? I have tried using Delvac 1 wherever possible. The Hyundais and the Fords have the recommended API standard in their manuals so it is easier to check if Delvac 1 is suitable. Unfortunately that isn't the case with the Octavia with requires VW505.00 or VW505.01 spec oil which the delvac 1 is not, atleast it isn't mentioned anywhere. Hence i had to look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Stick to Service center oil for Skoda. For all others go for either Delvac 1 or Delvac MX depending on how many kms the vehicle has run. Not recommended to change the engine oil to synthetic if its been running on mineral for more than 75K kms. Because it will do more harm than good.
Hello Sagar, Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, i guess that is the only way to go now. All the cars have been using synthetics except for the terracan which has done in excess of 160k kms. Felt there's no point going in for a synthetic now so i stuck to mineral. Got Delvac MX yesterday, yet to see if it is any good over the factory servo oil that Hyundai uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@Shadowbane - Interesting to see you have been using the best brew available for most of your rides

Just go ahead and replace the Octavia TDI (assuming it is i the old indirect injection and not the PD or CRDi) and Terracan with Delvac 1

You will love it
Thanks sateesh, unfortunately Delvac 1 does not comply with VW505.01 or VW505.00 specs so no chance of using it in the Octy. The Terracan has simply run far too much for it to experience any real benefits of a synthetic oil so i've decided to stick with mineral.
Shadowbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:44   #1267
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 3 Times
Thumbs up Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Now a lot of relevant discussions have been happening at the synthetic vs mineral thread, but i think diesel engine oils need a thread all to themselves. From what I've gathered from that thread , as well as others is that Mobil delvac MX and Chevron Delo 400 are the better ones. Today I went to pick up delvac MX and the shopkeeper said he had some shell rimula in stock as well. Since it was CH4, and I'd heard about delvac, picked up the Mobil. But is Rimula any good ?

what about the other oils. I know castrol GTD is crap, because that what I've been using so far . Castrol GTX ought to be better.

Diesel Vehicle owners, Please do post your experiences
Hi, I have used both shell rimula and mobil delvac engine oils , and both are of the same specifications. This oil we use for large marine propulsion engines of Cummins (1825 Kw) .If you go through the material safety data sheets both the oils , both are nearly same except the brand , marketing and may be cost also.
kitsass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:52   #1268
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,527
Thanked: 1,135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
Hello Sagar, Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, i guess that is the only way to go now. All the cars have been using synthetics except for the terracan which has done in excess of 160k kms. Felt there's no point going in for a synthetic now so i stuck to mineral. Got Delvac MX yesterday, yet to see if it is any good over the factory servo oil that Hyundai uses.
Yes Delvac 1 does not meet VW specifications. Hence I told to stick with service center oil for your Skoda

Delvac MX is definitely better than the crappy servo oil Hyundai service center uses. I would also recommend Shell Rimula R4. Same specs as Delvac MX, some engines run smoother on this than the Delvac MX. Anyway since you have already purchased Mobil Delvac MX, you can try this next time
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:19   #1269
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

What is available in India is Castrol CRB TURBO.

This is the oil recommended for Common Rail Diesel Turbo engines if you would like to buy Castrol.

There are other alternatives too.

It is API - CH and that is good enough.

Yesterday I purchased it again for a friends Thar. It had done 1400 KM and I am a firm believer that first oil change must be done at 1000 KM not 5000 as recommended by Mahindra. Toyota always does it at 1000 KM.

How the engine sound changes once you replace Feo with Castrol. Try it to believe it.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:36   #1270
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
What is available in India is Castrol CRB TURBO.

This is the oil recommended for Common Rail Diesel Turbo engines if you would like to buy Castrol.

There are other alternatives too.

It is API - CH and that is good
I have no reason to disbelieve you if you say it must be good.

Just that TML recommends CRB turbo for TCIC engines in commercial segment. GTD for turbo passenger and GTX is for Dicor engine.

When I digged specifications from internet GTX is higher then CRB turbo as quoted below.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 20:27   #1271
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

CRB Turbo is API - CH

What is GTX Diesel ? Is it rated API - CI or CH + or something, and is it 15W45 or some other multigrade. Please post what you know of it.

From what I know it is rated as API - CC the diesel version and itis 15W40.

In my opinion 15W45 is better for the indian summer. This has an ambient temperature range of 55 Deg C.

Its your choice in the end.

Please post from the product label.

Last edited by desertfox : 7th July 2014 at 20:32. Reason: more facts
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 21:19   #1272
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
CRB Turbo is API - CH

What is GTX Diesel ? Is it rated API - CI or CH + or something, and is it 15W45 or some other multigrade. Please post what you know of it.

Please post from the product label.
I have posted link of full technical specifications of both in previous post.

Both are API CH4 but GTX has better specifications in terms of viscosity check the quoted values.
Also GTX is costlier then CRB turbo.
And GTX is recommended oil for vtt dicor engine by TML.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 10:20   #1273
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Is it a new GTX because on the Castrol Website they classify GTX diesel as API - CC, there is another classification for Petrol Engine Castrol GTX.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 11:48   #1274
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Is it a new GTX because on the Castrol Website they classify GTX diesel as API - CC, there is another classification for Petrol Engine Castrol GTX.

I am filling in Castrol GTX Diesel since 2008 and it was always API-CH4.
Castrol GTX petrol is API SL anyway I do not think there is any oil in market out today which is CC
Even PSU Diesel oils like HP Milcy are API CH4 for last 8 - 9 years or so.

In fact T.A.S.S haven't changed oil recommendation in last 6 years which is logical because 2.2 VTT was launched 7 years back and since then there is no new diesel engine.

Castrol Website does mention it as API-CH4 ever since I remember. Also it was always costlier then CRB Turbo which was always targeted to commercial vehicles prefer.

http://www.castrol.com/en_in/india/p...-oils/gtx.html

I think we should move on my quest was to get a better oil then Castrol GTX Diesel ( API-CH4) I tried Shell Rimula R4 which is API CI+ but I found no significant reduction in NVH .

Perhaps my engine was always well maintained so it was already at minimum NVH possible mechanically.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th July 2014 at 11:52.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 23:33   #1275
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 513 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

See what does the website says CC maybe it is a typographical error this for GTX Diesel 15W40.

For India 15W45 is slightly better on encountered temperature zone.

Whats the price of GTX Diesel, CRB Turbo is about Rs. 2300 for 5+1+1 l

Castrol CRB comes in three grades.

CRB - For diesel commercial engines what is sold the most
CRB Plus - For non turbo diesel Jeep/ Car / SUV
CRB Turbo - For Turbo Charged or CRD Diesel Engines this is the 15W45 grade that I use.


CONSUMER BENEFITS
Superior Cleaning Power
Reduces the build up of harsh deposits
Outstanding Engine wear protection
Prevents oil thickening allowing it flow freely
VISCOMETRICS
SAE 15W-40
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
API SF/CC, SAE 20W40
PACKS AVAILABLE
210 l, 7 I, 5 l, 1 I
Where to buy?
Product Data Sheet
Material Safety Data Sheet

Last edited by desertfox : 8th July 2014 at 23:40.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:11.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks