Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 17:54   #1321
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,677
Thanked: 5,094 Times
Default Re: Vista Quadrajet Oil query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have heard from quite a number of people that Toyota Diesel engine oils don't darken.Is it true? Are they using any special filtration techniques or additives?
All engine oils darken over a period of time, i have seen Toyota oil and it does darken
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 18:24   #1322
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,863 Times
Default Re: Vista Quadrajet Oil query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have heard from quite a number of people that Toyota Diesel engine oils don't darken.Is it true? Are they using any special filtration techniques or additives?
I have seen quite a few Innova's and Fortuner's having dark oil when they have come for an oil change at an FNG I visit regularly.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 18:32   #1323
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 1,841 Times
Default Re: Vista Quadrajet Oil query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have heard from quite a number of people that Toyota Diesel engine oils don't darken.Is it true? Are they using any special filtration techniques or additives?
No sir. They darken. They darken here in India (on my Innova). And they used to darken 12 years ago when I used to get the oil changed for my Corolla in USA at my FNG - Jiffy Lubes!

For that matter , from personal experience, they have darkened for my Honda Civic (11 years ago in the USA), for my Santro Xing (twice a year since 2003), for my Palio (now sold).

So yes... I can state for a fact that they darken irrespective of the make.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 12:24   #1324
BHPian
 
adit mishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 71
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Yesterday I visited the nearby Maruti Authorised Store. They stock all MGA items. I asked them for MGDO and MGGO. They told me that earlier Maruti used to supply these things to their store but now they are not available. Is it true? I intend to change the engine oil by myself next time. Diesel oil filters are available. They had a small bottle of shell gear oil. But when I wanted to purchase it they told me that it was only for Demonstration Purposes. I wanted to them. Please can anyone post photos of MGDO and MGGO so that I can show them that it is available everywhere.
adit mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 19:36   #1325
BHPian
 
adit mishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 71
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is better to wait till warranty end after which you van buy your own oil + oil filter and change every 5K if you intend to use mineral. If you are going to use synthetic oil then it is going to be changed every 10K kms.

Initially when I had the Ritz, I used to change every 5K kms but now I stick to MGDO (Shell or Mobil whichever they stock) and change it every 10K kms.

Anurag.
Can you tell something about Castrol MGDO 15w40? On the Castrol website the only 15w40 Diesel Engine oil available is Magnatec 15w40. Is MGDO Castrol the same semi-synthetic oil? I have no idea about the Castrol MGDO used by MASS.
adit mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:42   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,646
Thanked: 3,060 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

All oils darken with usage, Diesels more so since they collect all the carbon and particulates which is far more than in Petrol engines. Nothing unusual in this.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:44   #1327
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Can you tell something about Castrol MGDO 15w40? On the Castrol website the only 15w40 Diesel Engine oil available is Magnatec 15w40. Is MGDO Castrol the same semi-synthetic oil? I have no idea about the Castrol MGDO used by MASS.

Castrol GTX Diesel is 15w40 API-CH4
Castrol GTD Diesel is also 15w40 lower grade then GTX.

Both are mineral oils available to open market.

Castrol MGDO 15-W40 should be one of the existing castrol oils repacked for the OEM.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:16   #1328
BHPian
 
adit mishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 71
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Castrol GTX Diesel is 15w40 API-CH4
Castrol GTD Diesel is also 15w40 lower grade then GTX.

Both are mineral oils available to open market.

Castrol MGDO 15-W40 should be one of the existing castrol oils repacked for the OEM.
I believe that GTD 15w40 is an API CF grade Engine oil. If you visit the Castrol website, you find there is an oil that is graded 20w40 but posses viscometrics grade of 15w40. I think this engine oil is recommended for TATA cars. It maybe API CH4 graded. So my question is - Is MGDO Castrol 15w40 exactly the same as CASTROL MAGNATEC Diesel Engine oil? So, basically the engine oil used in maruti diesels is Castrol GTD 15w40. Can you please post a link that can guide users to the specs and standards of this engine oil?

I have another BIG DOUBT-
How can a oil be graded at one grade 20w40 and posses viscometrics of another grade 15w40?

This is a Castrol Diesel Engine oil recommended by TATA for its cars. TATA owners can help. You can find the information on the Castrol India website.

Last edited by adit mishra : 3rd November 2014 at 13:20. Reason: Additional information
adit mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:43   #1329
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Please search this thread I posted specifications of both GTX and GTD.
Tata recommends Castrol GTX API CH4 for Common Rail Engine ( DICOR)
and GTD for Turbo Diesel ( TCIC).

GTD was earlier API-CF but now i heard latest version is API-CH4 with slightly lesser kinetic viscosity.

Castrol Magnatec Diesel has following specification

SAE 15W - 40
SPECIFICATION:
API SN/ CF, ACEA A3 / B3, ACEA A3 / B4

http://www.castrol.com/en_in/india/p.../magnatec.html

This is lower grade then both GTX and GTD so do not use it in Common Rail Engines
Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
I believe that GTD 15w40 is an API CF grade Engine oil. If you visit the Castrol website, you find there is an oil that is graded 20w40 but posses viscometrics grade of 15w40. I think this engine oil is recommended for TATA cars. It maybe API CH4 graded. So my question is - Is MGDO Castrol 15w40 exactly the same as CASTROL MAGNATEC Diesel Engine oil? So, basically the engine oil used in maruti diesels is Castrol GTD 15w40. Can you please post a link that can guide users to the specs and standards of this engine oil?

I have another BIG DOUBT-
How can a oil be graded at one grade 20w40 and posses viscometrics of another grade 15w40?

This is a Castrol Diesel Engine oil recommended by TATA for its cars. TATA owners can help. You can find the information on the Castrol India website.

Last edited by amitk26 : 3rd November 2014 at 14:48.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:32   #1330
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 761
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Any reviews on the fully synthetic oil by PETRONAS specifically for Maruti? Its Petronas Syntium 3000 SZ MGDO, rated at CI4 5W-40. Is it available outside and what is the price?
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:35   #1331
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,646
Thanked: 3,060 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

May I add often co-branded oils are costlier. I remember the Shell Red Pack co-branded as MGO cost the same as their higher rated Yellow pack (no MGO tag).
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:13   #1332
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 761
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
May I add often co-branded oils are costlier. I remember the Shell Red Pack co-branded as MGO cost the same as their higher rated Yellow pack (no MGO tag).
Thats true. But do we have other options? As far as I know, there are hardly any fully synthetic oils for Diesel engines rated above CF apart from Mobil Delvac 1 etc. This, I understand is rated CI. Also, I guess this is the standard fill for 1.3 Multijet Marutis when they go for service. So, it may not be too pricey. Opinions and feedback please
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 19:17   #1333
BHPian
 
adit mishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 71
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Please search this thread I posted specifications of both GTX and GTD.
Tata recommends Castrol GTX API CH4 for Common Rail Engine ( DICOR)
and GTD for Turbo Diesel ( TCIC).

GTD was earlier API-CF but now i heard latest version is API-CH4 with slightly lesser kinetic viscosity.

Castrol Magnatec Diesel has following specification

SAE 15W - 40
SPECIFICATION:
API SN/ CF, ACEA A3 / B3, ACEA A3 / B4

http://www.castrol.com/en_in/india/p.../magnatec.html

This is lower grade then both GTX and GTD so do not use it in Common Rail Engines
That was informative. Mostly in places like Bhubaneswar where most people do not care about cars, Shell and Mobil1 are not available. Castrol is the only option. GTX and GTD seem to be good engine oils, if only someone would get shell in Bhubaneswar. I have seen people using Valvoline, Total 15w40 3000, and other cheap engine oils in diesel maruti cars.
adit mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 20:01   #1334
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,863 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Can you tell something about Castrol MGDO 15w40? On the Castrol website the only 15w40 Diesel Engine oil available is Magnatec 15w40. Is MGDO Castrol the same semi-synthetic oil? I have no idea about the Castrol MGDO used by MASS.
In the 11 services during my Ritz VDi and 3 services for my Swift ZDi which were carried out at MASS, the MGDO used wad different most of the times.

Sometimes they used Castrol or Shell or Mobil. Shell and Mobil were synthetic whereas Castrol was mineral.

Shell and Mobil are the commonly used oils here in Hyderabad. Now the Swift is getting ready for the 30K service so let's see what oil they use.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 09:34   #1335
BHPian
 
auto_enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bombay/Surat
Posts: 108
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Hi all

My 30k run Figo TDCi is due for service shortly. Ford recommends SAE 5W-30 semi-synthetic oil for Figo Diesel. Last week I purchased castrol magnatec 5W-30 part-synthetic(still to use it). As seen on the can, it meets and exceeds requirements of API SN, ACEA A3/B4.

Any insights on this, with respect to, the specifications would be very helpful.

Thanks
auto_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks