Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 18:10   #1381
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
I clearly remember it would take ~5 km for it reach there earlier. With the AC on, it only takes 2 km now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It depends on the outside air temperature. In winters the car takes longer time + distance to reach the 'halfway mark'

Nothing to be worried. Enjoy the car!
Driving_Nomad - Guess a4anurag has indeed answered the query. Don't worry and enjoy the drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
@Driving_Nomad
I was also wanting the go for the Shell Helix HX7-10w40.
Any advise/suggestions are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Thanks Anurag! But Nitrous' post quoted below makes me think again.

However, the HX7 also complying with A3/B4, it definitely can be used on diesel engines.
What remains now is to check the manual as you mentioned.
@Mudcat and @Driving_nomad - Interesting to see the discussions about Engine oils for diesel hearts !!

Check for the CI specification. National Engine needs CI4 and above and the HX7 is CH4 and is inferior compared to the spec

The best brew for Diesel hearts if you are particular about Synthetic is Mobil Delvac 1 and if you are particular about Mineral oil I would recommend Mobil 1 15w-40 which is CI4 compliant

Check the history of API ratings from this site
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:46   #1382
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 77
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

I visited the authorized Mobil Dealer a few days back. Mobil 1300 15w40 and Mobil 1400 15w40 are available readily. But Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 sounded like greek to him. I own a Dzire Tour Model. I suppose it is the same old Swift Engine. So I would not opt for synthetic engine oil.

Can you help me decide between Mobil 1300 and Mobil 1400?

Thanks
Ashok.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:24   #1383
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
I visited the authorized Mobil Dealer a few days back. Mobil 1300 15w40 and Mobil 1400 15w40 are available readily. But Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 sounded like greek to him. I own a Dzire Tour Model. I suppose it is the same old Swift Engine. So I would not opt for synthetic engine oil.

Can you help me decide between Mobil 1300 and Mobil 1400?

Thanks
Ashok.
Mobil1300-Mineral
Mobil Delvac MX-Mineral
Mobil Delvac 1-Full synthetic
Used all the three in my swift. Honestly I didn't feel any difference between the first and second( both were good). However I did find a noticeable difference with the Delvac 1 since it being full synthetic. Now I am using only Delvac 1 since I am happy with performance.
I cannot comment on the 1400 as I have not used it. Try to get the MX else go for the 1300 if you want to stick to minerals,no harm else the Delvac 1 it is.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:40   #1384
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 77
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Mobil1300-Mineral
Mobil Delvac MX-Mineral
Mobil Delvac 1-Full synthetic
Used all the three in my swift. Honestly I didn't feel any difference between the first and second( both were good). However I did find a noticeable difference with the Delvac 1 since it being full synthetic. Now I am using only Delvac 1 since I am happy with performance.
I cannot comment on the 1400 as I have not used it. Try to get the MX else go for the 1300 if you want to stick to minerals,no harm else the Delvac 1 it is.
Thanks Mr. Rakesh_R
Delvac MX is not available here. So I will go for Mobil 1300, as you say that both the minerals are equally good. My car has run 23,400 kms till date in 2 years. Is it the right moment to switch to synthetic?
I can spare 2000 Rs. more if that transforms into better mileage, less engine sound and better pick up for the swift Diesel.
And one more query-May be But are there any signs to differentiate genuine Mobil 1300 from fake ones?
I am purchasing the engine oil from the authorized Mobil Dealer-Spectrum Petro. Still I am always suspicious Runs in my genes. Sorry. Infact, I even do not put Diesel at the pump without touching and smelling the nozzle and being 1000% sure that I am using DIESEL only!!!
Do not ask how many fights we have every week due to my infatuation with suspicion.
Thanks in Advance,
Ashok.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 00:20   #1385
BHPian
 
Driving_Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 167
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Driving_Nomad - Guess a4anurag has indeed answered the query. Don't worry and enjoy the drive

@Mudcat and @Driving_nomad - Interesting to see the discussions about Engine oils for diesel hearts !!

Check for the CI specification. National Engine needs CI4 and above and the HX7 is CH4 and is inferior compared to the spec

The best brew for Diesel hearts if you are particular about Synthetic is Mobil Delvac 1 and if you are particular about Mineral oil I would recommend Mobil 1 15w-40 which is CI4 compliant

Check the history of API ratings from this site

Thanks Sateesh. Am a bit confused now. should/can I run with this oil for a 7 thousand km more and get it changed at the 75K service? Or can I run this till atleast 70K km (just because I've invested 😔 )? Or should I change it right away?
Driving_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 07:44   #1386
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Thanks Sateesh. Am a bit confused now. should/can I run with this oil for a 7 thousand km more and get it changed at the 75K service? Or can I run this till atleast 70K km (just because I've invested 😔 )? Or should I change it right away?
Driving_Nomad - The oil that you have used if I understand is a mineral one and pls. replace your oil in 5k kms if you use a mineral oil. Stretching it beyond 5k kms isn't advisable

There is no harm using a mineral oil but stick to the 5k interval would be the recommendation

HTH
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 18:27   #1387
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,764
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Although my car has petrol engine, I got the Mobil 15W40 diesel engine oil.
Is this wrong?

It does have API - SJ written on the back side along with other stuff which is for diesel.
Name:  IMG_20150316_130047254_HDR.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  89.2 KB

Could not find much information on the Internet except this link:

http://www.rameshmarketing.com/produ...-TM-15W-40.php

Last edited by S_U_N : 16th March 2015 at 18:28.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 19:12   #1388
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Although my car has petrol engine, I got the Mobil 15W40 diesel engine oil.
Is this wrong?

It does have API - SJ written on the back side along with other stuff which is for diesel.
Attachment 1350252

Could not find much information on the Internet except this link:

http://www.rameshmarketing.com/produ...-TM-15W-40.php

Which car are you planing to use this on? If its for your cedia this oil is too thick!
Diesel engine oils tend to be a lot more thicker have a lot more Detergent content.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 08:31   #1389
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,764
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Which car are you planing to use this on? If its for your cedia this oil is too thick!
Diesel engine oils tend to be a lot more thicker have a lot more Detergent content.
Yes. This is for Cedia.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 08:34   #1390
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 761
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

I see the Mobil Delvac 1 listed in 99rpm.com. Anyone has experience buying from them? Are they reliable and trustworthy?
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 10:00   #1391
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Yes. This is for Cedia.

Dont! The oil is too thick, and diesel oil in a petrol engine is big NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I see the Mobil Delvac 1 listed in 99rpm.com. Anyone has experience buying from them? Are they reliable and trustworthy?

They are fast and very prompt!
But when you are buying parts from them (Tata parts) expect delays.
One part which was ordered a month back still hasn't been shipped.
They emailed me saying they need more time
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 10:07   #1392
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,764
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Dont! The oil is too thick, and diesel oil in a petrol engine is big NO!
Can there be a difference in thickness between two 15W40 oils?

That is a multigrade oil just like the following Shell oil.

http://www.shell.com/global/products...-b2-10w40.html

I am still curious to know more.

Edit: Shell 10w40 is not available on India website. This one is a direct comparison in terms of the viscocity; http://www.shell.in/products-service...-b3-15w40.html

Last edited by S_U_N : 17th March 2015 at 10:16.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 11:34   #1393
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 761
Thanked: 274 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
They are fast and very prompt!
But when you are buying parts from them (Tata parts) expect delays.
One part which was ordered a month back still hasn't been shipped.
They emailed me saying they need more time
So, basically, they should supply the oil pretty fast. I was more concerned about the genuineness. Since its a high priced oil and having heard of horror stories of spurious products, do you have any feedback on these lines?
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 11:58   #1394
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Can there be a difference in thickness between two 15W40 oils?

That is a multigrade oil just like the following Shell oil.

http://www.shell.com/global/products...-b2-10w40.html

I am still curious to know more.

Edit: Shell 10w40 is not available on India website. This one is a direct comparison in terms of the viscocity; http://www.shell.in/products-service...-b3-15w40.html
15W 40 in a diesel grade will be quite thick!
During the first few minutes of start up this oil may not flow very well.
Cedia needs a 10W xx.

Read this.
Quote:
Diesel engine oil has more additives per volume. The most prevalent are overbase detergent additives. This additive has several jobs, but the main ones are to neutralize acids and clean. When you put this extra additive load in a gasoline engine, the effects can be devastating to performance. The detergent will work as it is designed and try to clean the cylinder walls. This can have an adverse effect on the seal between the rings and liner, resulting in lost compression and efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
So, basically, they should supply the oil pretty fast. I was more concerned about the genuineness. Since its a high priced oil and having heard of horror stories of spurious products, do you have any feedback on these lines?
Yes they do! Ordered gear box oils from them. Took 3-5 days shipped via Fedex!
Everything sold by them are 100% original. I can vouch for that.

Just that their shipping times with tata parts is very-very slow! ( I would blame Tata motors for this) not suppling the required parts

Views expressed here about 99rpm is as a customer. I am not affiliated with them in anyway.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 17th March 2015 at 12:00.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 12:35   #1395
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,764
Thanked: 365 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
15W 40 in a diesel grade will be quite thick!
During the first few minutes of start up this oil may not flow very well.
Cedia needs a 10W xx.

Read this.
I am looking into the 'detergent' part. However, for now, I do not know what it means when you state "15W 40 in a diesel grade".



Here is a picture from the Cedia manual.

All about Diesel engine oils-img_20150316_122756573_hdr.jpg

Notice we can use many different viscosity and grades.
As a best practice, I always turn on the car a few minutes before I start driving and even after driving, I keep to very low speeds - say around 20 kmph in second gear for the first 1 KM or so. By that time, the needle is almost to the optimum mark.
Now, in the summer months, the minimum temperature here is around 16 deg C and that too at early mornings.

Last edited by S_U_N : 17th March 2015 at 12:41.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks