Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 14:33   #1471
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,078 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Gentlemen!

I'm about to give my new Hyundai elite i20 CRDi for its first free service.

I believe it will make sense if I get the oil & the filter changed during this service?

Do I need to consider shifting to synthetic oil after 10k kms?

Or should I stick with the manufacturer specified oil till warranty runs out?

Thanks & Cheers!
First of all, you are not required to change oil at the first free service. Its a simple washing and cleaning exercise. I also would not recommend oil and filter to be changed at the meager 1000 kms mark (when the first service happens).

Oil change is recommended at the 2nd free service, which is at 9K kms. I got it done before time, at 7K kms itself. But that's your call.

Stick with the manufacturer specified oil. I'm saying this because Hyundai has of late become stringent with service. I bought my Verna CRDI in 2008. For the next few years I convinced my HASS to use Mobil Delvac MX, which I used to purchase from outside. I convinced them that the Verna manual says "CH or higher grade 15w-40 Oil" and they never created a problem. When I tried that with the i20, they clearly told me any oil outside what HASS uses will void the mechanical warranty!

A4anurag - Hyundai still uses Servo trash. THere was a rumor that they had switched to Shell, but I checked personally.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 14th July 2015 at 14:37.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 14:56   #1472
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 641
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
First of all, you are not required to change oil at the first free service. Its a simple washing and cleaning exercise. I also would not recommend oil and filter to be changed at the meager 1000 kms mark (when the first service happens).

Oil change is recommended at the 2nd free service, which is at 9K kms. I got it done before time, at 7K kms itself. But that's your call.

Stick with the manufacturer specified oil. I'm saying this because Hyundai has of late become stringent with service. I bought my Verna CRDI in 2008. For the next few years I convinced my HASS to use Mobil Delvac MX, which I used to purchase from outside. I convinced them that the Verna manual says "CH or higher grade 15w-40 Oil" and they never created a problem. When I tried that with the i20, they clearly told me any oil outside what HASS uses will void the mechanical warranty!

A4anurag - Hyundai still uses Servo trash. THere was a rumor that they had switched to Shell, but I checked personally.
Reiterating what Predator mentioned, I too,was shocked to see, Hyundai using that Servo trash for their diesel vehicles! I was also informed by the Service Advisor that any change in the engine oil brand will cause warranty issues, so I have hence stuck to getting my i20 diesel serviced at every 5000km, even when the manufacture recommends service at 10k km.

If I may, @predator, would like to ask you why would you not recommend the oil and the oil filter to be changed at the 1000km mark? Keeping aside the fact that the manual/manufacturer doesn't recommend it, is there any other reason why you say so?
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:04   #1473
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 415
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
...Oil change is recommended at the 2nd free service, which is at 9K kms. I got it done before time, at 7K kms itself. But that's your call.

Stick with the manufacturer specified oil...When I tried that with the i20, they clearly told me any oil outside what HASS uses will void the mechanical warranty!
Thanks for the info mate!

But, isn't it a bad idea to NOT change the oil in the first 1000 kms?

I've always been under the impression that engine oil & filter should be changed at the first service for a new car. Isn't it supposed to be a good thing?

And, running a car 10k kms without an oil change? Isn't that a disastrous thing to do? Especially for a new car? Unless perhaps the oil is fully synthetic?

Regarding changing the brand of engine oil, if they are finicky, I'm happy to let Hyundai manage it, as per their recommendation.

I'm concerned about the oil change though. Considering that it's Chennai, always hot, always dusty, and there is a fair amount of stop-go traffic, the amount of stress on the engine will always be high.

Keeping that in mind, shouldn't an oil change after a few thousand kms be a good thing?
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:16   #1474
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,383
Thanked: 9,856 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
First of all, you are not required to change oil at the first free service. I also would not recommend oil and filter to be changed at the meager 1000 kms mark (when the first service happens).

A4anurag - Hyundai still uses Servo trash. THere was a rumor that they had switched to Shell, but I checked personally.
Hey, Can I know the reason for you saying that oil and oil filter change isn't required in the first service?

Didn't know Hyundai uses Servo oil! Shifting to Shell or Mobil would give a haven and hell difference in NVH.

PS: I am just asking the reason casually. No offence to you.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:29   #1475
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 641
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks for the info mate!

But, isn't it a bad idea to NOT change the oil in the first 1000 kms?

I've always been under the impression that engine oil & filter should be changed at the first service for a new car. Isn't it supposed to be a good thing?

And, running a car 10k kms without an oil change? Isn't that a disastrous thing to do? Especially for a new car? Unless perhaps the oil is fully synthetic?

Regarding changing the brand of engine oil, if they are finicky, I'm happy to let Hyundai manage it, as per their recommendation.

I'm concerned about the oil change though. Considering that it's Chennai, always hot, always dusty, and there is a fair amount of stop-go traffic, the amount of stress on the engine will always be high.

Keeping that in mind, shouldn't an oil change after a few thousand kms be a good thing?
Not sure if this will help you but, I bought my i20 in 2012 in Kol and drove it down to blr without registering it. The odo showed about 2300~2400km, my car just had a temp number and the SA told me there was no need to change the engine oil and filter, however, I went ahead and got it changed and thereafter have been changing the engine oil and oil filter every 5000km and change the diesel filter every 10,000km. Have run about 35,000+ km now and the car runs like new. No oil consumtion and has been giving a very healthy 14-15kmpl with 100% ac in city and north of 19kmpl with 100%ac on the highway. All this when I have never babied my car. I drive it hard.

Regarding the oil change on a new engine, you have heard it right, its always better to change the oil and oil filter on a new engine. However, I feel that maybe the reason why today manufacturer's recommend the 10k change is that

1. They run in the engine at the factory
2. Do the drain and then change the oil to syn or semi syn.

Point no1 could be true for Hyundai as well, but point no2 is definitely not true in their case. I was shocked to see them use such a substandard grade of oil for their amazing diesel engines and that too with a 10000km service limit!

I for one would definitely recommend the change of the oil and oil filter at 1k km and subsequently changing it every 5k, knowing the fact that they use such a low grade oil.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 14th July 2015 at 15:39.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:33   #1476
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,078 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
If I may, @predator, would like to ask you why would you not recommend the oil and the oil filter to be changed at the 1000km mark? Keeping aside the fact that the manual/manufacturer doesn't recommend it, is there any other reason why you say so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
But, isn't it a bad idea to NOT change the oil in the first 1000 kms?
Its a personal opionion, backed by personal experience rather than facts. Changing the first oil ASAP is always a good thing. Have done that in all the cars we had owned. But they say modern engines come run-in from the factory. When I checked the oil on my i20 (at the 1K mark) it had retained its viscosity and there was hardly any absorption. If you feel otherwise, please go ahead and do so.

a4anurag - Why would I take offence brother?

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 14th July 2015 at 15:34.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 15:43   #1477
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 415
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
...the SA told me there was no need to change the engine oil and filter, however, I went ahead and got it changed and thereafter have been changing the engine oil and oil filter every 5000km and change the diesel filter every 10,000km. Have run about 35,000+ km now and the car runs like new...I for one would definitely recommend the change of the oil and oil filter at 1k km!
Thanks for sharing your opinion mate!

I, too, would like to change the oil & filter at the first service.

I just hope the SA I get, doesn't make a big deal out of it.

On another note, are the engine oils from Servo that bad?

I can only assume that they're not as good as say Shell or Mobil or Petronas, but are they really that bad?

Perhaps someone here who has used both can comment and let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Its a personal opinion, backed by personal experience rather than facts. Changing the first oil ASAP is always a good thing. Have done that in all the cars we had owned. But they say modern engines come run-in from the factory. When I checked the oil on my i20 (at the 1K mark) it had retained its viscosity and there was hardly any absorption. If you feel otherwise, please go ahead and do so.
Hmm, you do make a valid point . Perhaps, these modern engines do not need any oil change so soon.

But nevertheless, I'd still like to change it in the first service. I just hope no one at Hyundai makes a huge fuss about it!
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 16:18   #1478
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,527
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default All about Diesel engine oils

Some Hyundai service centres use Servo and some use shell. Like predatorwheelz said, I used to and even now carry my own fully synthetic Delvac 1 . But they do not allow outside engine oil on new cars . Servo is not bad per say . Used it once and found the Engine smoothness reduced and engine sounded harsh . That's the only con

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th July 2015 at 16:21.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 16:41   #1479
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 641
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion mate!

I, too, would like to change the oil & filter at the first service.

I just hope the SA I get, doesn't make a big deal out of it.

On another note, are the engine oils from Servo that bad?

I can only assume that they're not as good as say Shell or Mobil or Petronas, but are they really that bad?

Perhaps someone here who has used both can comment and let us know.



Hmm, you do make a valid point . Perhaps, these modern engines do not need any oil change so soon.

But nevertheless, I'd still like to change it in the first service. I just hope no one at Hyundai makes a huge fuss about it!
Servo is not bad! The grade of oil they use is not so great! I somehow can't digest that it can keep my engine safe for 10,000km of use!

Had it not been the warranty, I would have used an engine oil from Bharat Petroleum. I forget the name of the oil from them, it is dirt cheap but has a very high grade!

I for one am not a brand follower. I go with the specs! I don't mind if the oil is not a Shell or a Mobil, as long as it meets or exceeds the requirement.

As a matter of fact, I have switched over from Mobil 0-40 to Shell, mineral 10-40 and now to Savsoil 10w-40 for my B16b (type R) engine on my honda city. Out of the above three, the worst performance was from Mobil. I absolutely detest that oil! But, that's me!
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 16:56   #1480
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Servo is not that bad,its just they still stick to the old specs. I have seen lot of truckers and commercial taxi guys using servo and their engines still munching lakhs of Km.
I shifted from servo (1st service) to shell(shifted to another svc) to delvac mx(post warranty) and now finally settled for delvac 1.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:05   #1481
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 415
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Gents,

Bad news I'm afraid. I gave our i20 for its 1st service today, and politely asked the SA to change the engine oil & filter, for which I'd gladly pay from my pockets.

To my surprise, I was informed by the SA that any change in the service patterns might result in the warranty being nullified. This includes unscheduled oil changes as well.

Now, that is a real bummer. Considering it is the 1st service, I did not want to come off as a pushy/angry customer. So I left it there.

However, I'm a man. I'm a man with a plan. Hence I shall not give up so easily.

So, is it possible for me to purchase the engine oil from Hyundai, and get it changed from elsewhere? What about the oil filter? Will Hyundai sell me that part as well?

In case the aforementioned scenario won't be possible, does someone know exactly what grade & brand of oil Hyundai uses for the new i20?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated chaps. I'm never going to be OK with not changing the oil in the first thousand kilometers.

It's like that really bad itch that I will scratch until it turns red

EDIT: Just found out the following info:

1. 99 RPM - the site has this oil filter for the elite i20. Is it a good idea to buy it online? I happen to know a lot of FIAT-ians use this site to order stuff online.

2. Hyundai's website - the site shows the following info:

Name:  Oil.png
Views: 2132
Size:  30.3 KB

So, can I just go out and buy the damn things and get them replaced on my own? Would you guys recommend that?

Last edited by sourav9385 : 23rd July 2015 at 10:18.
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:18   #1482
BHPian
 
Shanksta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Madras
Posts: 289
Thanked: 323 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Gents,
what grade & brand of oil does Hyundai use for the new i20?
The grade and brand of engine oil would/should be mentioned in the owners manual, in the service section. Warranty being nullified for changing engine oil is all hogwash.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:42   #1483
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 415
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
...Warranty being nullified for changing engine oil is all hogwash.
I know that too mate. We all know it

It's just that there's no point in standing and arguing about it with someone who doesn't care for your car.

All that person wants to do is up-sell some random crap like engine lacquering, interior polishing on a brand new car and extended warranty at a 1000 bucks off!
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:46   #1484
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I know that too mate. We all know it

It's just that there's no point in standing and arguing about it with someone who doesn't care for your car.

All that person wants to do is up-sell some random crap like engine lacquering, interior polishing on a brand new car and extended warranty at a 1000 bucks off!
You can buy from 99rpm by all means.I have been buying engine oils for my swift DI.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 13:22   #1485
BHPian
 
fireblade007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kollam
Posts: 139
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

I am using a sx4 diesel with 65000 kms on the oddo. I have been using mobil 5w40 semi synthetic from maruti ass. The recommended rating given in owners manual is ACEA A3/B3 5W40.I would like to shift to fully synthetic oil. Which would be the best? Is it good to shift to fully synthetic at 65000 km. I am considering
1)mobil delvac1 5w40(api ci4 rating) Is the delvac1 a truck engine oil? Is it suited for the small fiat multijet.
2) Shell helix ultra 5w40( meets acea a3/b3 requirement given in manual but its only CF.Is this more suited to petrol engines)
3) Castrol edge 5w40 (meets acea a3/b3 but its only CF4. Is this more suited to petrol engines?)
4)Mitasu 5w40 engine. It has got CI4 rating. Its on sale on amazon. Bit too costly at 5186 Rs for 4 litres.http://www.amazon.in/MITASU-5W-40-CI...0921041&sr=1-4
Can I use 15w40 engine oil with ch4 or higher rating in the sx4 diesel?

Last edited by fireblade007 : 30th August 2015 at 13:25.
fireblade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:39.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks