Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th June 2016, 11:45   #46
Default Re: SWIFT - Power Steering failure

Originally Posted by goldsun View Post

2. Has any of the Team-BHP members experienced the Power Steering failure?, if yes at what age of the vehicle and was there any definite finding as to why it failed?

3. Is the EPS module repairable? and even if it is serviceable, is it wise to replace the EPS module than repairing it?
My dad has been complaining for quite some time (probably a year) that the power steering in my swift seems much hard than his Santro. Since the car was not driven much, and mostly by a driver, I did not bother. In anycase, I was able to turn the steering with a few fingers, and I felt that my dad is feeling the steering hard as the Santro's steering is supposed to be quite light.

A few weeks back took the car to MASS for some work, and the SA confirmed that power steering has gone bad. Wants to replace the entire setup (apparently there is no "repairable" component) and has quote an amount in the range of 35k - 45K. Since my car is 11 years old (77K kms), with a lot of other issues (torn seat belts, dying battery, dying clutch and dent covered body that is starting to rust), I have decided to go in for an exchange offer and buy a new car instead.
ajayclicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 15:05   #47
Default Re: SWIFT - Power Steering failure

Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
I faced the same issue in my ZDi few months ago. Changed the battery and it never occurred again. Hope you would have checked the battery?
That didn't strike me. I will get the battery checked this weekend. But the battery appears ok to me as the car gets started with a single crank.

Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Have you done any electrical modification/accessorize'ion on your car recently? Also, as I was told, it's better to avoid these cheap mobile phone chargers esp. the one's with 5-6 cables coming out, in the car. They are known to mess with the car's electronics. I still wonder why didn't the fuse blow out in my case
There are/were no modifications, be it electrical or mechanical, done on this car and it is in stock form. But some time, my phone/tablet gets charged via USB port, but that too very rarely.

Last edited by hobbit : 9th June 2016 at 15:16. Reason: instead of abhjain, a quote got attributed to BB311
hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote