Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th March 2009, 14:48   #1
BHPian

Default ECU Remapping for Cedia, Civic, Skoda etc

Hey guys I got a Cedia's ECU remapped at FRK Racing last week. They took a couple of days to work on it but I am really surprised by the results which are as follows:

1- Increased top speed. I used to strain the Cedia to do a 165-170 earlier . Now it cruises to that speed and with a slight push it crossed the 190 mark easily. Little longer road and more throttle I think it should have done a 205-210 easily.

2- Increased torque:- The car was quite sluggish through the gears especially through traffic. Now the engine feels more tight. Like there's a boost in compression. I can just floor in whichever gear I am in and pull away.

3- Increased Mileage:- The Cedia being the cousin of the Evolutions was not expected to give great mileage. It used to give around 9-10 before the tune up. Now I get 12-13 easily for city driving.

4- Guaranteed 30% bhp increase:- I was told by Mr Fazil Khan that I would get 12-13 bhp more with the stage one tuning but I wanted more so went for the stage two. It does cost a few grand extra but totally worth it. Now the Cedia throws out 30bhp more than the stock cars without opening a single bolt in the engine thanks to Mr. Fazil of FRK Racing.

For more info or contact details PM me.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 15:59. Reason: 2 smileys max. Please read the Team-BHP rules.
speedfreak7116 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 16th March 2009, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the remap.
One question though, did you dyno the car before and after the remap ?

EDIT: Could you also post how much the remap costed for the benefit of other cedia owners ?
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
One question though, did you dyno the car before and after the remap ?

EDIT: Could you also post how much the remap costed for the benefit of other cedia owners ?
I have'nt got the dyno test done yet but will do that next month at CBT. I was guaranteed a 30-35% increase in bhp and I can really feel it.

So considering an average car of 100bhp or more in this category it means 30bhp at least.

I will keep everyone posted on what the dyno says.

Cost wise Mr Fazil was slightly lenient on me because I race for him. For others I dont know. Will PM you the contact number.
speedfreak7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:39   #4
BHPian

That is great news! Congrats!
But this remap can't be done until the warranty period is over right? Mine is still under warranty!
Also can you write a detailed report on the stage-2 mods with pics.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:15   #5
BHPian

Thumbs down

I am seriously surprised by the extent of claims made nowadays with respect to remaps. 30% increase in performance just by remapping a NA car isn't possible- I'll sign on that. Usually remapping NA cars involves optimising the fuelling, ignition curves for usage of better quality fuel which can free some horsepower- but nowhere close to 30%. It is further helped by the fact that Indian-spec cars (mostly) are slightly conservative from the manufacturer due to inconsistent fuel quality available commonly throughout the country.

Claiming a flat 1/3rd increase without taking into consideration the way an ECU has been mapped from the factory is just not possible. Consider the new Honda engines in the Indian market- the R18s, K24s and like. I would like to see anyone extract even close to 20% additionl horsepower with just a remap. The simple fact is- it isn't possible. 30% gains can't even be claimed by standalones on completely stock engines, forget remaps and piggybacks.

@speedfreak- What fuel are you using now? Were you advised to use higher octane fuel? Dynoing the car now will only give a rough estimate of power increase, ideally you should have dynoed the car before and then right after the remap.

EDIT: What brand is the remap? Was it done in Bangalore or elsewhere??

Last edited by doomsday : 16th March 2009 at 16:17.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 19:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

I agree, these claims have no basis.
Please provide data to substantiate...
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 15:22   #7
BHPian

Look all I know is I got it done and am happy. If you'll guys dont believe it then try it. Its no harm since you can always bring it back to normal with a click of the mouse.

The guys at FRK have come up with a whole new software of their own which allows them to alter the settings more than anybody else can. I was told to spread the word if I was happy and thats what I'm doing.

As for all the technicalities which you want to know you can contact FRK racing and ask them what they do. I am just a customer and a driver for their racing team. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic to know all that.
speedfreak7116 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
That is great news! Congrats!
But this remap can't be done until the warranty period is over right? Mine is still under warranty!
Also can you write a detailed report on the stage-2 mods with pics.

Warranty will not be void since the ECM is not opened up for this procedure.

Check out Chip Tuning bangalore india ECU Reflashing / Remapping Bangalore FRK Racing - Performance Upgrades for engines, transmissions, suspensions/steering for more details and pics.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:54   #9
BHPian

Hi SpeedFreak

Was this done by a guy called Sujay in FRK ??

Regards
Abhishek.
ego4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

30whp more out of a 4G94 just by remapping? Its just impossible without opening the engine. The maximum factory state of tune for this engine is ~125 at crank and 105'ish at the wheels and thats about all you'd get. The engine does respond very well to turbocharging though.

Enjoy your ride. If you are satisfied with the remap, that is all which matters. Would you be willing to compare our rides to actually know how much real world difference it is?

PS: I've gone past 200 with the stock engine

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th March 2009 at 13:03.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 21:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
4- Guaranteed 30% bhp increase:- I was told by Mr Fazil Khan that I would get 12-13 bhp more with the stage one tuning but I wanted more so went for the stage two. It does cost a few grand extra but totally worth it. Now the Cedia throws out 30bhp more than the stock cars without opening a single bolt in the engine thanks to Mr. Fazil of FRK Racing.
Please be careful when you say guaranteed because I don't think this is the case. Another thing you have mentioned other models also other than the cedia are they your too and have they been remapped?

I have personally remapped enough cars myself to be sure that a stock car with a remap cannot produce that much additional power.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 20:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Look all I know is I got it done and am happy. If you'll guys dont believe it then try it. Its no harm since you can always bring it back to normal with a click of the mouse.

The guys at FRK have come up with a whole new software of their own which allows them to alter the settings more than anybody else can. I was told to spread the word if I was happy and thats what I'm doing.

As for all the technicalities which you want to know you can contact FRK racing and ask them what they do. I am just a customer and a driver for their racing team. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic to know all that.
as pointed out you have claimed guaranteed 30% increase. plus you mentioned various other cars. this sounds like a clear ad with no solid evidence.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 20:59   #13
BHPian

Hi speedfreak is the remap there for the palio 1.6?
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 13:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
as pointed out you have claimed guaranteed 30% increase. plus you mentioned various other cars. this sounds like a clear ad with no solid evidence.
As I said earlier. I am a satisfied customer. I am not a Marketing Executive to FRK racing to show you facts and figures and prove it to you. The other cars are all my very close friends' cars and two cars belong Mr Fazal himself.

I was merely suggesting you guys get it done. I did not give you a 40% discount sale if you went there and gave my name. You dont want to get the remap done then chug along with your stock engines while we fly past. Does'nt make a difference to us.
Old 25th March 2009, 16:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
You dont want to get the remap done then chug along with your stock engines while we fly past. Does'nt make a difference to us.
LOL. an attempt to swing one below the belt. thanks but no thanks. there are other tuners in bangalore who will give me good results without the marketting spiel. and will happily dyno it to prove their results as also to tell me i'm spending my money well. i need not take names.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote