Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th May 2009, 15:58   #46
Team-BHP Support

LOLZ LOLZ yes definitely possible, but what was the diesel sedimenter light doing when you were running with water in the tank???
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 17:23   #47
BHPian

that Jaggu, is exactly what came to my mind. Perhaps it was overflooded with water? Some fuel pumps are unbelievable crooks.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 15:02   #48
BHPian

I am facing the similar problems with my 6000+ Kms old Swift VDi. When pushed above 80 on 4th gear on a flat road or if asked to climb a flyover on the 4th gear the car simply loses all its power and i can see smoke(white) on my rear window. Took it to MASS week back and they tested the car but the problem did not occour then. They too suspect that its water in the turbo and they have asked me to drop the car on a spare day as it will take 4 hours for them to drain the water and clean the turbo.

Will report back later...
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 20:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
... They too suspect that its water in the turbo ....
I'd beg to disagree! Water in the turbo cannot stay for long after the engine is run.
Either the water evaporates rapidly or the turbo goes bust! There's no way water will keep sitting inside a turbo!
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 20:22   #50
BHPian

I also faced the issue of excess engine oil on my swift vdi . During the first service (odometer 890 kms) the MUL dealer filled in 3 liters instead of 2.9 and the car started to giveoff white smoke when reverred and the turbo lost its kick.

Today (1100 kms odometer)had the oil (Delvac 1300) drained, measured and re-filled in to the correct amount (there was an excess of 180 ml). Tech 2 shows a boost pressure starting from ~ 100 kpa - at idling to ~180 kpa at 3500 rpm in neutral.
The technician said its ok and the turbo is not damaged since tech2 does not return any error code. Keeping my fingers crossed.

MUL really needs to improve the quality of their technician.
goswami.j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 03:09   #51
BHPian

Guys,
Even I had this problem (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1450627 (Swift VDi - White Smoke)).

I figured out that this problem happens only when i park the car for about 2 days or so and then start the car and reach 100. For me it has happened twice and both the times, it was when i tried to cross 100.

Immediately after it happened the second time, i drove straight to MASS and they checked the engine boost. It was behaving normally.

Henceforth, whenever i park the car for 2 or more days, i keep the engine idling for about 5 mins or so before driving. Then it has never happened again.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 10:06   #52
BHPian

tazmaan and others, any new updates on this please?

I'm facing the same problem, but only on the 5th gear. When I shift from 4th to 5th at around 80Kmph, there is a power loss and RPM stays at around 2000 (in fact comes down a little) despite throttle. If I leave the accelerator and press again, the power is back. This is what I observed:

* No smoke is seen during this time
* Happens only in the 5th gear, absolutely no issues in other gears where turbo kicks in at 2000RPM
* Does not happen consecutively, it happens randomly
* When it happens, it happens on inclines only
* Car has run around 6500Kms

Could this be a bad quality fuel issue? I always fill at a particular IOC pump. But once I filled 3 ltrs as emergency in another pump, after which I did a full tank at my regular IOC. Would these 3 litres matter?
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 10:29   #53
Team-BHP Support

With engine switched OFF, press the accelerator pedal completely 8-10 times, do it little aggressively. Drive the vehicle and see if its sorted out. This can be due to slightly dirty acc pedal sensor.

Also ensure air filter is clean.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 10:33   #54
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, yes I already did that as you suggested in this thread! But I faced the problem after that again. I'll do the air filter cleaning and see what happens.
Old 11th March 2010, 17:19   #55
BHPian

I cleaned the air filter, and it's great now! It's too early to tell, but I haven't faced any problems after this. The air filter had a LOT of dust in it (1500Kms after 2nd service), so I'm sure that the inefficient Maruti (A**) did not clean it during the service. Car is more quieter and smoother now.
Old 16th May 2010, 22:24   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post

Black smoke
is the most common emitted from diesel engines and indicates incomplete combustion of the fuel. Black smoke causes can vary widely and include ..
===========
Colour of engine smoke and when it occurs tells about internal condition
Facts are correctly listed. In a new car retarded timing may be the most probable reason
sivasankaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 09:40   #57
BHPian

Its been a year since i bought my ritz now and I have faced the same problem atleast 4-5 times in my RITZ ldi. The first time it occured when when the car had done 4000km it was on a highway while shifting from 4th to 5th at 80 kmph.At that point i was going up the gears and accelerating.The engine suddenly lost power and i kept pressing the accelerator.I was confused so i released and pressed the accelerator a couple of times but of no use.I also noticed a fair bit of vibrations from the engine similar to one when go too slow in a higher gear. Since this incident occured at the begining of a 280km trip i tried to get the same response from the engine for the rest of the journey but it never happened again.Rest of the time it was within city limits like when shifting from 3rd to 4th or from 4th to 5th. Within city the car accelerating at a moderate level that is like feathering the throttle.
I asked the service guys to check this at the 3rd service it was impossible to induce to the same behaviour from the car.

Although i have this at the back of my mind whenever i go on highways i am waiting for an awnser from MSIL!
damodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 10:55   #58
BHPian

Well I did have a similar problem with my swift too. The car has just come from the 35K service (oil+oil filter was changed) on a clean stretch of road the car was not pulling above 100 and was stressing to cross 120. I looked in the mirror and saw huge plumes of white smoke coming out. i pulled over and had killed the engine and restaarted again to see if it re-occured. So far it has not happened. I am going to MASS to get the issue checked. Lets hope there is no long term damage.
siddharthdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:35   #59

Default Re: New Swift Diesel engine problem

im having the exact same problem with my dzire Vdi, sudden loss of power only in 4th and 5th in peak torque areas with ALOTof white smoke at the exhaust......this happens only on a slope.
my Dzire has done 3 servicings and run 20000kms. iv been experiencing this problem for a while now but its dsnt happen all the time. Most of the time the car is absolutely normal.
I explained the problem to MASS but they say that theres no problem, and if it happens again to get the car back.
fireknife755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 17:09   #60
BHPian

Default Re: New Swift Diesel engine problem

The last i faced this problem was on 31st Dec 2009. Post this, i visited the Maruti A.S.S and was advised that the reason could be fuel adultration.

Since then, changed the fuel pump from where i fill diesel and the problem has never recurred.

I think all those who face similar problem should consider changing their fuel filling station.
username is offline   Reply With Quote