Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th June 2008, 23:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

One question.
The milage can be calculated only when we keep filling the tank full for every fill right? What if we fill say 500rs in between and then tank full sometimes? In this case, how should we calculate the milage? Any idea?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 01:02   #47
BHPian

okay: Lets say you filled for 500rs so 10 liters (assumption).

Note: I am assuming you did tank full till this 500 rs refill and you had set your trip meter to 0 or noted down kms travelled in your Odo

1. Fill for 500rs (10 litres), dont reset you trip meter to 000
2. Drive till you have a need to fill
3. Now fill tank full.
4. Make a note of Petrol filled (assume 20 ltrs)
5. Note the total distance traveled in the trip meter

Now calculation.

Lets assume you have travelled 350 kms from you last full tank

Total distance travelled = 350 KMS
Total Petrol Filled = 10 (500 rs) + 20 Ltrs = 30 Ltrs
Total Mileage = 350 / 30 = 11.6 kmpl

This is what I do.
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 11:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
okay: Lets say you filled for 500rs so 10 liters (assumption).

Note: I am assuming you did tank full till this 500 rs refill and you had set your trip meter to 0 or noted down kms travelled in your Odo

1. Fill for 500rs (10 litres), dont reset you trip meter to 000
2. Drive till you have a need to fill
3. Now fill tank full.
4. Make a note of Petrol filled (assume 20 ltrs)
5. Note the total distance traveled in the trip meter

Now calculation.

Lets assume you have travelled 350 kms from you last full tank

Total distance travelled = 350 KMS
Total Petrol Filled = 10 (500 rs) + 20 Ltrs = 30 Ltrs
Total Mileage = 350 / 30 = 11.6 kmpl

This is what I do.
Thanks man. I will TRY to follow this. I have an excel which is ALWAYS outdated
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 11:49   #49
BHPian

Excellent format for capturing expenditure on your vehicles. Thanks a ton to all who have shared their IP
prabhusati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 21:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Calculating FE is very simple, Best way is use same bunk which you trust most.

First time do tank full I mean really tankfull by shaking the car as well. Also make sure you have started from ZERO in Bunk reading because If they had filled 2 ltrs Petrol for bike they would not reset it for cars since at least 10ltrs petrol car owner will fill. so chances to cheat him is easy.

First fill full tank and drive for 50kms and then do full again and drive for 50km. Repeat the same thing 2 or 3 times. During every fill note down kilometers travelled and quantity of fuel filled. Take average of all those 4 or 5 times you filled the tank.

I do the samething when I calculate FE for my cars. After I stopped using Shell from last 3 months FE has come down by 1.5km :( which indicates either quantity or quality is missing.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 11:42   #51
BHPian

Hey guys, I don't understand the need to shake your car for full tank filling. It's simply hilarious!
Fuel being a liquid always gets emptied (consumed) from higher level to lower level in the tank. So whenever you are going to top up the level, it is only the top empty space of the tank that gets filled up and, being a liquid, automatically takes the shape of the container. Remember the science funda we were taught in class 3 or 4 in school? It still holds true!
Getting out trapped air could be true only when the tank is completely empty right upto the fuel pump inlet, and there is air trapped in the fuel lines.

Anyways, coming back to the point, to ensure same level of "tank full", I always go to the same fuel station and try to refill from the same pump, same nozzle, using auto cut-off method. And best is to maintain a log of all refills, and then calculate FE over a few thousand kms. This averages out the -ve and +ve errors to almost zero.
And I do get 16.3kmpl in my Wagon R.
anuragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 16:23   #52
BHPian

Old thread, anyways here's my two bit, what anurag is suggesting gives a fairly good indication of the FE over a longer periods meaning more than lets say 20 refills. However there is a anomaly with the method when reviewing FE for 2 or 3 consecutive refills. The autocutoff gets activated faster when you pump it up in hot afternooon and later if you pump it up in the late evenings or early mornings. This is due to the higher vaporisation of the petrol during hot weather.

Also the density of petrol is lower when it is hot and higher when cold. Which means that there is a marginal difference in the volume depending on when you tank it up. This could also bring very slight or negligible differnce in the FE figure's
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 17:40   #53
BHPian

Default Re: FE Measurement - Clinical method and Practical Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Or get yourself a Skoda or Mercedes, put your trust on german engineering and take the FE values from the MID.
The average FE reading on MID is since the last reset or for limited KMs, say last 50 or last 100?
anujatwork is offline   Reply With Quote