Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 10:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is it time to change the Timing Belt?

Since i was planning on taking my car on track, i was wondering if it makes sense to change the timing belt now.

My car has done only 68K kms but more importantly, it will be 8 years old this Sept and the timing belt has never been replaced before.

It's not the snapping of the belt that scares me but the amount of damage it can cause at high revvs (especially in vtec zone). Moreover, i think the OHC has an interference engine, so if the belt snaps, it could equate to major repairs costing over 50K.

This thread is not only for me but all those who are running engines that may have low mileage but have aged.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 10:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

68k is way too early for timing belt replacement in a Honda. But if you want to be safe, there is no reason why you should not. My esteem's done 80k plus & my mech swears that it is not necessary for another 20k.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Reccomended change interval is for 60K kms. But 8 yrs is a long duration for a change (that would also be dependent on the construction and quality of the belt). Personally had a habit of changing them once every 3 years.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are planning to take the car on track for prolonged redlining, you would be well advised to change an 8-year-old cam belt before doing so. Despite the fact that you may have only done 68k km, an 8y.o. belt would have degenerated enough not to be able to withstand the stresses it would be subjected to while racing.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Reccomended change interval is for 60K kms. But 8 yrs is a long duration for a change (that would also be dependent on the construction and quality of the belt). Personally had a habit of changing them once every 3 years.
Psycho, is this for modded cars or for stock cars too ? And does it differ for petrol/diesel cars ?
Old 25th March 2009, 10:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
68k is way too early for timing belt replacement in a Honda. But if you want to be safe, there is no reason why you should not. My esteem's done 80k plus & my mech swears that it is not necessary for another 20k.
Its not the kms but the age of the belt that is the prob. Rather spend 5,000 now than shell out 50,000 plus to rebuild the engine.

Quote:
If you are planning to take the car on track for prolonged redlining, you would be well advised to change an 8-year-old cam belt before doing so. Despite the fact that you may have only done 68k km, an 8y.o. belt would have degenerated enough not to be able to withstand the stresses it would be subjected to while racing.
True.

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea. I think i'l keep it at 50K kms or 3years (which ever comes first).
Old 25th March 2009, 11:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Change it before you hit the tracks! And do a thorough check up of the engine also, last thing you want to do is harm the engine on a track day, however less the chances maybe.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I think i'l keep it at 50K kms or 3years (which ever comes first).
Not necessary unless you take the car on to the track frequently. 80,000 km or 5 years is a good enough interval to change cam belt for routine driving.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

50k or 3 Years !!

Is it not an overkill considering the manufacturer recommends double the interval, no less.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

What are the typical charges for belt replacement?
Is it different type from the ones that are fitted to run the AC and water pump?
Old 25th March 2009, 11:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
50k or 3 Years !!

Is it not an overkill considering the manufacturer recommends double the interval, no less.
For a guy who cruises in his car and rarely redlines it, the recomended interval holds good. But if you're gunning the car everyday and plan to take it on track (where you are basically ripping the car for 30mins straight, i think its wise to change the belt early.

Quote:
Not necessary unless you take the car on to the track frequently. 80,000 km or 5 years is a good enough interval to change cam belt for routine driving.
But i do plan to get my car on track more often now. And im getting 7.9kmpl in city without A/C, so that pretty much sums up my driving style. LOL

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 11:29   #12
BANNED

At 8 years, if it a rubber belt change it pronto. I remember ages ago when a colleague had imported a Fiat 128. He even got a new belt, but did not change it. The result was the belt failed and he ended up more or less getting the engine rebuilt. Valves, Pistons, Con-rods, etc. The works.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:36   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
But i do plan to get my car on track more often now. And im getting 7.9kmpl in city without A/C, so that pretty much sums up my driving style. LOL
Shan2nu
Isnt it too low for a honda even with aggressive driving? are you running any engine mods?
Old 25th March 2009, 12:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

I understand that the normal procedure is to change the timing belt for any car is between 60-70K.Can this be a standard norm?
Old 25th March 2009, 12:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ok , I dont know , just asking ,
How much does timing belt cost?
Anything else needs to be replaced with it or just the timing belt can be replaced ? and what the labor cost ?

If the total cost comes upto even few hundreds rupees why not change it and have peace of mind ?

Most Viewed