Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th March 2009, 12:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Loud grinding noise from the rear

Well my lancer cedia has done 25000 odd km in a couple of years and has had zero trouble till date. However today after starting the car, it felt as though there was some resistance from the car to move and then there was a loud noise as if something broke apart and then the car started moving. The resistance was akin to the handbrake being engaged while the handbrake was not engaged.
However after that there was a loud grinding noise from the rear of the car every time the wheel rotated. I got really concerned and parked the car at the side of the road almost immediately and cancelled my office plans.
I'm waiting for the service center guys to come and take a look at what happened. I'm wondering what could be wrong. Any clues folks?
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

cedia comes with rear disk brakes na? jack the rear wheels and see if somethings interfering.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:25   #3
BHPian

if your rear beake pads are worn out , good chance that it might be the cause.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

aint all disk brakes self adjusting?
may be the caliper pin is fouling??
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Sounds like brake issue, jammed caliper being released was the first sound. Second grinding sound seems like one of the caliper pin has given away.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Could it be the wheel bearing ? 25k is too early for that, but still.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:36   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Some cars with disc brakes at the rear have the e-brake connected to small drum brakes within the rear wheel hubs. This is a very common issue in cars with brake drums if you've driven through standing water or have not driven your car for a while - the shoes don't retract fully, resulting in jammed wheels. Is easily solved with WD40 & some R&R
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

I rechecked the calipers and they seem to be in the right position. There brake pads are fine too and seem to have decent amount of life left in them. Could it be a busted wheel bearing?

@im_srini: Yup cedia has small drum brakes at the rear to function as parking brakes alongwith the rear discs. I'm hoping its not something too major. The service center chaps said they can't come before 4pm as they have three other breakdowns to attend to. Hence they told me to drive it slowly to their place and assured me that nothing will go wrong.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 25th March 2009 at 12:39.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

It is most probably the brake cylinder. I faced exactly the same issue in my Getz at around 23,000 kms. Get your rear brakes serviced and most probably the diagnosis would be a faulty cylinder, which would be replaced at a cost of around Rs~700.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 15:04   #10
BHPian

I concur with im_srini. It did happen to me once. I had left the car parked for 2-3days with hand-brake on and the weather was rainy. Even though the car was not in rain, the rear brake was jammed slightly. Heard the same sound that you had when moving off. After driving it for a km or two, there was no issues. Now a days, I dont use the hand-brake when parking in my apartment.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 15:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you dont drive the car. The service guys will say anything, afterall you are the one who is going to pay for it.

Preferably get it lifted onto a recovery truck like the ones Mondial Assistance has
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 15:43   #12
BHPian

Since Cedias come with rear disc brakes maybe the anti squeal shim has come loose. Happened to me once with my Corolla front disc brakes. If the grinding noise is really loud then I suggest you not to drive the car. If the shim is badly out of place it can leave large scoring marks on the disc rotors.

Towing the car will not help. As far as the wheels are moving the shim with continue to score the disc.

I think its safe to say its not the wheel bearings. 25k kms is too less for you to have worn out rear bearings.

The drum brakes at the rear which act as the hand brake will not make too much noise when jammed but the car will struggle to pull forward.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 19:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well the rear left brake had jammed for a while which was the cause of the funny noise. After driving the car for a few hundred meters it decided to release itself and the noise stopped.

I took it to the service center and they checked the entire rear brake line thoroughly and lubricated it just to be sure nothing is wrong. I was worried if the rear brake shoe needed replacement because of this but thankfully the service advisor said that they can be used for another 10000km easily.
Old 26th March 2009, 10:42   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Similar issue being discussed here as well (Shuddering on Civic).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 10:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Why did it happen in the first place? Did they tell you why?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote