Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th March 2009, 07:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Now,it makes perfect sense to have the Comet & a 600cc cruiser in that garage! Way to go, buddy!!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 12:38   #17
BHPian

thanks Nitin! yup was actually even pondering with the idea of modding a bullet, DIY! Would be fun, but the only thing with the bullet is that im not really fond of the high capacity single cylinder concept! Well as of now dying to see a chunky cruiser in there!
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 14:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

love the workshop!! dont listen to people,A work shop is supposed to look dirty
vinaydas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 14:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Speed0mania, you have an enviable garage!
Hmm... I'm wondering where in Delhi you might be living!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 14:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

@speed0mania: You are one lucky fellow. Really, I envy you -- this is like showing kids a bagful of choclates and not letting them have them.

I wish that people staying in apartments could have shared garages where they could mess up their vehicles on weekends.

PS: BTW, what would be the approximate cost that would have gone in setting this up?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 18:05   #21
BHPian

@vinaydas: thanks totally agree with you on that!
@anupmathur: i stay in sunder nagar next to DPS mathura road and the delhi zoo. You're more than welcome to drop in sometime if theres anything you need
@khan_sultan: Yup im definitely blessed to have this ancestral home! cost incurred was really negligible as ive done 99% of the work myself and using old scrap stuff lying around from a shut down office and my dads microlight flying days. Well as for cost of tools really can't estimate that since ive collected them over the years. setting it up cost me <Rs.1000!!! including two daily wage laborers for a day to move around the heavy stuff! thats only because i had things like the compressor and other tools already lying around just got them all running and placed.
Old 27th March 2009, 18:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
He manages 21+ kmpl in the city from his 800.
he bought the Ikon, I have strictly told him to stay away from playing with it
Sammy, who knows, your dad could severely reduce the cost of maintenance of the Ikon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
whenever me and my dad see tools we go crazy.
@ Sammy, speedo: Two lucky folks out there among I don't know how many, whose dads are good at being mechanics and not armchair mechanics. Lots of stuff you can learn from them.

@ speedo: Suggest you make a trench in the middle of the garage, @ 5' deep, with steps leading down, to make underbody and suspension inspection a snap - the (very much) more expensive alternative would be to buy a garage lift. And don't the paint the place - let the grease get on the walls. Otherwise you'll be too careful trying to keep stuff off your paint! And yes, like anupmathur, I'd love to drop in and take a look at your place (soon as I've recovered from my back problem).
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 22:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Sammy, who knows, your dad could severely reduce the cost of maintenance of the Ikon!
Thanks SS. Once my Ikon crosses 5 years I will give it to him and get his newer one . He can do all the R&D he wants on that heee hee
sammyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 22:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Once my Ikon crosses 5 years I will give it to him and get his newer one . ....
And the newer one will give up the ghost on you in short order while the old one will run blissfully well with the 'old man'!!
Too premature to say yet........ we'll have to wait for 6 years to find out!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 00:41   #25
BHPian

@ SS-traveller: totally agree with you there, i feel really lucky to have a father who not only understands my passion but shares it! And as he says 'theres no subsitute to experience'!!
You're more than welcome to come any time!
Yup planning on building a garage lift myself found quite a few good examples online, will probably get some ideas and design one to analyse feasability!
dont like trenches too much! moreover i hate bending down or being on my knees all day long when im playing around with the kart so need a lift for sure, lets see how it works out.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:44   #26
BHPian

UPDATE: tube lights, wall fan fitted, all wiring done with a few plug points added. will get it cleaned tonight after work and put up updated pics
Old 29th March 2009, 16:15   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*with mouth watering* Wow, those pictures have turned all of us envious, speed0mania. You are LUCKY man, just real plain lucky! What cars / bikes do you plan working on in your new home? What kind of work? I can only imagine how much fun it would be to spend weekends tinkering around on my cars. So much fun and so much to learn.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 16:23   #28
BHPian

Thanks GTO! Well i tinker around with my Comet alot, other than that my go-kart is the guinea pig of all my crazy psychotic ideas! lol
And must not forget my ignored sweetheart (the swift), whose interiors, skirtings and music system have been demanding attention.
I'm the kind of guy who creates work as I really enjoy it, my sister thinks me and my dad are crazy for tinkering with stuff thats working fine! like opening up the clutch on the bike tracing a vibration.
Old 29th March 2009, 16:37   #29
BHPian

Nice job speed0mania. Getting some ideas looking at the tools.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 17:42   #30
BHPian

Hi SpeedOmania,

Congrats for nice Workshop at home, most of us dream of such facility at home, but in the recent days empty space is getting scare. You are lucky to have space and appreciate your creativity, with most of the old things you turn it into useful thing.

Here in Jeddah, whenever I visit Car Accessories & tools shops, it is interesting to see lot of things we wish to have in our Workshop. Here
lot of tools were available like engine lifting small trolly type tools, hydraulic jacks, power jack, mobile air compressors, etc. I think in India also now lot of them were available.

Good luck!
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote