Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th March 2009, 00:24   #1
Default Brake Lining Burst

Dear Friend I have a 800 which has done over 3L Kms and wonderfully.It has been impeccably maintained .However today i had to brake in emergency and after that i noticed the low brake fluid light came on and the brakes (foot) went kaput, No brakes .By God's grace i was able to stop using hand brakes and avoiding an accident.upon checking out the car there was no brake fluid in Reservoir , no leakage from any wheel , master cylinder area .
And i remember i had seen the reservoir full 2-3 days ago.
Upon furthur investigation i pinpointed the brake pipe had burst from inside passenger compartment , towards co-driver side .
the brake line runes on both side of hump in the middle , inside of car.
The pipe on the left just forward of gear lever had burst leading to no pressure.

Now i ask
Why did it burst?
Any preventive schedule ?( I check all pipes , hoses every month// 5000kms myself)

It has been a very scary experience and i have come to know this thing can happen in any car .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 14:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Brake lines will get weaker with age, it's inevitable. How old is your 800? Over 12 - 15 years? Ferdi changed the brake lines of my Jeep during it's recent restoration as a preventive measure. He anticipated the exact same situation that you faced. I'd recommend overhauling the entire braking system atleast once in ten years.

I'm glad though that you were able to control the car and avoid an accident. Well done!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 16:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

You have mentioned about the preventive measure. As GTO has pointed out, overhauling. Our maruti 800 is about to complete 1 lakh kms but no such error.

As soon as there will be less than sufficient fluid in the reservoir, a light will glow on the instrument panel. The light indicator ( actually the little O symbol you are talking about ), this would indicate some error regarding brakes, either the fluid is less or the hand brake is not released. This is the only way apart from visual analysis under the hood to see if there is some error with brakes or not.

Our Maruti 800 is 1992. But I think before driving on, one must check the instrument panel. In our case after we have installed CNG kit and an additional helper leaf spring, the handbrake is not working properly. The light would always remain ON in the instrument panel, so everytime I start driving, I make sure that I press the handbrake lever to ensure that there is sufficient fluid.

After reading this thread, I will now make our mechanic check for the same. The car being about 16 year old, wear and tear must have set in.
Thanks for putting this up as I can be more preventive for our car.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th March 2009 at 16:20.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 22:59   #4

I am very regular with maintenance .But i never realized that the part that has burst is hidden with the black firewall material .The brake line actually runs under it and the strange part is that is the only part which is not covered with a plastic lining like rest of the pipe.(I am very angry with Maruti for this gross negligence in design ).Only if the pipe had been visible i would have known the rusting .Anyways I have changed both the pipes which runs from under the dashboard to the rear and have made sure i am able to inspect them now .

And i suggest all people check the condition of brake hoses both rubber and metal completely to see no cracks , leakages (of course this will lead to low oil level) , rust (very important cause when it gives away trust me you will not even dream how fast the brakes go kaput ).
This is the brake pipe which burst well totally .Lucky me .I am alive.
Attached Thumbnails
Brake Lining Burst-dsc00842.jpg  

Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote