Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th March 2009, 19:38   #1
Default Problem with my Tata Sierra

Hey guys !!!!

Need your help .

I own a 97 Tata Sierra with a Toyota Qualis 2.4 D engine in it. Recently i hit a 8 inch cement platform on the road which was underwater on a flat stretch of road. I probably must be driving at 90 -100 kmph.

Immediately after the hit i noticed that was car was moving towards right and i believed my car lost its alignment. But unfortunately this was not the case.

My car is moving steeply towards right once i leave my steering wheel. i have to counter steer towards left almost half a circle. Even if there is a slight ups and downs on a perfectly fast road it gives a jerk on the right. Its very dangerous and it seems i will loose control anytime.

I checked up with mechanics abt the :
1. Alignment, axle
2. Front disk brakes (if they are locking up on just the right tyre)
3. Tyre pressure,
4. Rotated all the four tyres.

Did whatever i can from my side but couldn`t diagnose the issue . I request all the techies from BHPian family to help me out. Also, plz advice me on weather increasing a car`s hieght is advisable or not and if anyone here knows a good mechanic in visakhapatnam to undertake the above issue which i have mentioned.

Guys pour in with ur gyaan ASAP.

Abbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:37   #2

Does the Jerk to the right come always or only when you apply the break.
reddy6980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Recheck the front suspension, I don't know what the Sierra's setup is but I would suspect the front lower arm to be bent badly.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 19:18   #4

The jerk is very frequent and when i apply the brakes , i have to hold on to the steering real tight as it wildly moves towards right. i found out my right front tyre looks something like this:

| /

| |

my right front tyre is not that much out of place as shown in the above figure but it is certainly moved a little but. Probably that`s the cause.
Abbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 23:39   #5

Hey Abbas,

Hope your car is fine by now. How does the toyota engine do in the sierra? What are the parts you needed to change?

Thanks for the info.
Advyth is offline   Reply With Quote