Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 23:49   #1
BHPian
 
Perakath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 259
Thanked: 28 Times
Default ANHC Annoyances

Dear All,

My folks took delivery of a black All-New Honda City (what will the next model be called?!) Executive trim (the lower variant) with manual transmission yesterday. The car is an upgrade from their 2001 Zen Lx, which I now drive, and a supplement to their beloved Qualis.

I see many others have already posted their initial ownership reports on the ANHC, so let me stick to mentioning two things that have managed to irritate me in the two days that the car has been at home!

(1) Seatbelt indicator light and alarm

Safety first, I agree, but on some short, low-speed rural drives with multiple stops, it's perfectly safe to not wear the seat-belt. Except that this alarm goes off every few minutes if the driver's seatbelt is not worn! Mollycoddling, anyone?

(2) 'Key in ignition' cum 'doors open' alarm

This is even more annoying than the seatbelt warning alarm. Where the seatbelt alarm is intermittent, this alarm goes off non-stop (a) as soon as the ignition is turned to 'Lock', or (b) when any doors are opened with the key in any position in the ignition switch.

There are plenty of scenarios where this alarm is unwarranted, and it can get annoying very fast. Have you ever heard a neighbour's alarm clock that went off non-stop for minutes on end?

I wish there were the option to turn these alarms off, or at least reduce their volumes. And IMHO, a tyre pressure indicator would've been far more useful than these two novelties.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 02:16   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

I guess these are standard implementations of the safety features - common to most new gen cars.

Personally
A. The seat belt indicator would not bother me - since it's second nature for me to clip it on, even if I have to drive fifty metres. I prefer to take no chances with seat belts. Of course, what you would consider a safe 'environment' not to wear the seat belt, is your own judgement.

I know of one case in the family, where a car at inching speed was hit by a locomotive. The front passenger got a broken jaw when it hit the dashboard. The driver got thrown out of the car. None were wearing their seat belts. The point is, a car might be traveling very slowly - however any large external force on it, might make you wish you were strapped in.

B. The ignition indicator.
Well, you just need to be locked outside the car once, with the key inside, to appreciate the alarm

Having said that - if you really do not want these features, you could check with Honda A.S.S. There must be discrete sensors which can be disabled.

Enjoy the new car !
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 02:29   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,008
Thanked: 1,285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I guess these are standard implementations of the safety features - common to most new gen cars.

Personally
A. The seat belt indicator would not bother me - since it's second nature for me to clip it on, even if I have to drive fifty metres. I prefer to take no chances with seat belts. Of course, what you would consider a safe 'environment' not to wear the seat belt, is your own judgement.

I know of one case in the family, where a car at inching speed was hit by a locomotive. The front passenger got a broken jaw when it hit the dashboard. The driver got thrown out of the car. None were wearing their seat belts. The point is, a car might be traveling very slowly - however any large external force on it, might make you wish you were strapped in.

B. The ignition indicator.
Well, you just need to be locked outside the car once, with the key inside, to appreciate the alarm

Having said that - if you really do not want these features, you could check with Honda A.S.S. There must be discrete sensors which can be disabled.

Enjoy the new car !
'nuff said!

I do agree that these things can be annoying (very) but please dont post on an open forum that there exists a scenario where seat belts arnt required.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 02:32   #4
BHPian
 
Perakath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 259
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

shuvc: Thank you!

I see your point about the seat belts. Just to clarify, I always wear them on public roads. Was on private roads today, with no other traffic. Not even a driving licence is required on such roads

As for B-- what are the chances of being locked out of a car with central locking? It's happened to me twice in the Zen, which doesn't have CL, because I usually lock the driver's door from inside, not from outside with the key. But the key is always in one's hand when central locking is involved!


quickdraw: Fair enough. Although you'd have understood if you were in the car with me today. Anyway, I retract that statement then.

Last edited by Perakath : 1st April 2009 at 02:36.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 03:36   #5
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 218
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
'nuff said!

I do agree that these things can be annoying (very) but please dont post on an open forum that there exists a scenario where seat belts arnt required.
Quickdraw, seatbelts are good. but they are not foolproof and are even dangerous in a set of circumstances. do not be dogmatic about it.


a friend of mine was travelling on a rainy day at speed when his car suddenly lost control, tumbled and was skating on its roof. as it was skating, a piece of a fallen tree smashed through the windshield on the driver side. the passenger yanked him sideways [more as a fear reflex apparently] and somehow pulled him out of the branch's path. had he friend been strapped it, he would have a face full of tree branch.

my intent is not to denigrate seatbelts. they saved me very recently. but please also do understand that in some situations, freedom of movement is important.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 09:50   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

These two features are present in the Civic as well. If you don't strap in, it'll beep for a while and then beep in intervals. I like it. I want it to be there.

However, the key in the ignition bong is irritating to the core. What if I'm waiting somewhere and I want to keep the driver door open to let some of that nice breeze in, while listening to the stereo? Impossible with the alarm clock beeping away. The funny thing is that it is impossible to lock one's keys in in a Civic, and probably in the ANHC too. There are so many little fail safes that prevent you from locking yourself out that this alarm is pointless except to remind you to take your keys with you. And that is something I have developed into a reflex. By the time by foot hits the pavement, the keys are out of the socket.

I think this is one part of the American mollycoddling mentality that has creeped into newer Hondas. I'd rather they didn't.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:11   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

(1) Dont consider it as a problem. Seat belts are a required safety feature and a warning is good to have. I don't understand why people have a problem wearing seat belts whether the run is short or long. It just takes a few seconds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
a friend of mine was travelling on a rainy day at speed when his car suddenly lost control, tumbled and was skating on its roof. as it was skating, a piece of a fallen tree smashed through the windshield on the driver side. the passenger yanked him sideways [more as a fear reflex apparently] and somehow pulled him out of the branch's path. had he friend been strapped it, he would have a face full of tree branch.
.
Dude, this is way over the top. There can be rare one off cases where it can cause a problem, but in most cases its a great thing to wear them. There is a reason why its mandated by the law.

(2) debatable. i again see it as a good thing. You can always take the key out to remove the warning though. Check with the dealer to see if they can disable it.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:22   #8
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 582 Times
Default

There was once an article in the Reader's Digest extolling the virtues of a seat belt. It said that research had indicated that seat belts save lives even at crashes of speeds involving as low as 20kmph. Now tell me one city run that you do under this speed.

Next fact : Accidents don't warn you that they are coming. Even on rural runs, as you call them, you never know what's coming from the other side of the turn or when you will suddenly encounter a dog running in from the side of the road.

Better wear it at all times !
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:55   #9
BHPian
 
Meer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Hi Perakath,

On the seat belts - For me its a habit, even for a short 10-15 mtrs distance, I strap it on. Once it becomes mechanical, you wont even find it annoying or irritating. But I have heard of incidents when people have been saved due to seat belts even in stationary cars when they have been hit by others. Also, driving an energetic car, seat belt is a must

On the key warning buzzer - I once locked a friend's santro, when I got down for PUC check. The car was on + the central locking activated after few seconds of closing the door. Had to literally take the door apart to unlock it as i was 3 hours away from home

Cheers,
Meer
Meer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Hmmm, nice features, both of them

About being annoying - don't know, its second nature for me to belt up the minute I climb in, whether private roads, sector roads, 2 minute drives, its mechanical now.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 11:13   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

@Perakath, all you need is a mute button on the dash
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:07   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
What if I'm waiting somewhere and I want to keep the driver door open to let some of that nice breeze in, while listening to the stereo?
This is an issue I don't face. Having 2 amps in my ICE setup means, the engine is always kept running - even if I'm listening to music while waiting with the door open .
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:15   #13
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 218
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Dude, this is way over the top.
way over the top but true nevertheless. as long as the probability is not 0, its a possibility.


the chances of being hit by a locomotive [by that Im assuming a railway engine] are also remote. you would have to beeither driving along a track, stopped on a track or jumping a level crossing to be hit by a locomotive.
blacmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:21   #14
BHPian
 
Perakath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 259
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
However, the key in the ignition bong is irritating to the core. What if I'm waiting somewhere and I want to keep the driver door open to let some of that nice breeze in, while listening to the stereo? Impossible with the alarm clock beeping away. The funny thing is that it is impossible to lock one's keys in in a Civic, and probably in the ANHC too. There are so many little fail safes that prevent you from locking yourself out that this alarm is pointless except to remind you to take your keys with you.
I think this is one part of the American mollycoddling mentality that has creeped into newer Hondas. I'd rather they didn't.
You speak my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
(1) Dont consider it as a problem. Seat belts are a required safety feature and a warning is good to have. I don't understand why people have a problem wearing seat belts whether the run is short or long. It just takes a few seconds!
Well, people hardly ever do what's best for them. You only need to look at helmetless motorbike riders or people driving home from bars to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
(2) debatable. i again see it as a good thing. You can always take the key out to remove the warning though.
And happily drop it somewhere inside the car or onto the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
@Perakath, all you need is a mute button on the dash
That's exactly what I need! Let the alarms stay-- just let me turn them off in the required situations.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 13:29   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
SkyWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,531
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
way over the top but true nevertheless. as long as the probability is not 0, its a possibility.
you should read the rest of my message before jumping the gun. I didn't say its impossible, i said this would be a moot argument as in majority of the cases people are better off having the seat belts. Anomalies are part of life.

The probability of getting hit by a vehicle while walking on the pavement (at least in India) is definitely above zero. Doesn't mean people would instead start walking on the roads due to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Well, people hardly ever do what's best for them. You only need to look at helmetless motorbike riders or people driving home from bars to see that.
well, that's why the cops are there for. The first case is reckless with their life - i say their problem. The second case (from bars) are endangering others should be caught and punished for their offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
And happily drop it somewhere inside the car or onto the road!
well, if you are "happily" dropping it, you are much more than just *annoyed* with your ANHC

Last edited by SkyWalker : 1st April 2009 at 13:41.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ANHC SMT or ANHC EMT with Caska HU alam86 Sedans 19 16th September 2013 15:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks