Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th April 2009, 17:38   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
So what's up with Skoda? Or did they swap out the gearbox when the car was at their service station? Help!
Cant rule this out mate. Especially as there are reports of such instances else where in India.
alabjarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 17:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:

My Acura's synchros wore out last year in the US as well....at 215,000 miles. Our Qualis actually shift better now than when it was new. My Uno's gearbox was never touched in 9 years and 140,000 km. of operation. So what's up with Skoda? Or did they swap out the gearbox when the car was at their service station? Help!

My ex- Premier Padmini, which has a reputation of not-so-good built quality, the gearbox was not touched even at 78,000 km.
Figure that out
kavesh55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 18:20   #33
BHPian

Its really sad to see so many folks complain about SKODA A.S.S
I wonder how come the company is not doing anything about this as it is going to damage their reputation big time (if it hasnt done already)
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 19:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
55K for a clutch replacement on a diesel Octy?

Wonder how much it would cost to replace a DSG system.

Shan2nu
IF this is the price for a clutch replacement, i wonder what would be the price, if anybody wants to totally overhaul his car.

Must be around twice the amount of the car!!!!
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 19:19   #35
BHPian

I think if you call a mechanic from the Czech republic and pay for his return ticket to fix this problem then only price of fixing this issue at 55 000 rs is justified ( includes his Two day stay in a hotel ( IT looks like Skoda is obsessed with your bank account not quality )

The only option for SKODA to fix what even happened i.e there Reputation
They should give unconditional warranty for the car for 4-5 years -100 000 Kms

Other wise i would not Dream to buy there car even though i must admit i am loving new Skoda superb but its a No No No i would rather go for a BMW 3 series if in the end of 5-6 years of ownership i have to pay more for Skoda superb then owning a 5 series ( god knows reading of horror stories every where it can Turn out to be more expensive then buying a
Mercedes S Class ,and i am not joking here )

Even if Skoda cannot give 4 years 100 000 kms warranty for Free they can charge any amount upto 50000 70000 rs ,but by not doing it they have clear intension of milking any body who buys a Skoda

And one more thing i dont understand is that when every other person who bought Skoda
is telling 10 other people about the problems he is facing and eventually every one knows about Skoda problmes Its surpeising to know Skoda is not aware of the issues

And if Skoda is aware of the issues people face here then why dont they solve it ,and if they have the right to keep mum then people also have the right to not buy there vehicles

Last edited by rubin2006 : 4th April 2009 at 19:31.
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 19:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Standard operating procedure at Skoda A.S.S.

Car comes for service, salvage whatever, and get the customer to come back for correcting the same issue. Earning + earning! Faster ROI! Yahooo...

Sorry mate, seems like you have been taken for a ride.

If the parts come with serial numbers, first check if you are still running the same original part or they have replaced it. And what their excuse when you asked them how come this came up just after service and was not there before?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 20:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that the dealer could had possibly changed/swapped a major mechanical part in ICE's skoda,considering the fact that he got back his car on the same day,what I do suspect is that they must had deliberately changed some minor part to initiate the problem and ultimately cashing on it by changing a major part(s).It could had not possibly be due to anything other than service centre's negligence/deliberate attempt as the car was fine before it went for the servicing.I would request the owner to get the car checked first at some reputed local service centre,then take his car to the Skoda Service guys and ask them to provide a quote,once you have a proof sort of with you,it will be easy to file a case of cheating/malpractice against these guys.
All of this,considering that they could not had possibly changed a major mechanical part in a short span of few hours.
Best of Luck and do keep the thread updated.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 21:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Help!
Hey Ice. What's the latest?
harishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 13:00   #39
Ice
BHPian

Guys, sorry for the delay in replying to this thread. I was traveling and away from my laptop (and more importantly, from my beloved TBHP).
I totally agree with every one of you...there is no way in hell that the synchro could have worn out so rapidly, especially with my dad at the wheel for the most part.

Quick update: the problem became infinitely worse over the weekend, and the gears started grinding irrespective of the engine speed at the time of engaging 2nd. So, my dad panicked. The car is now at Gurudev, much against my advice. Est. time for repairs: 1 week.

I'm traveling to Madras this weekend to rattle the Gurudev cage, and hopefully I can salvage something. Will keep this thread updated. However, I fear the damage may already be done. Damn!
Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 18:21   #40
Ice
BHPian

Default Update: Gurudev fibs

So...I had an interesting meeting with the service adviser at Gurudev on Mt.Road, Chennai. His name is Mr. Manoj.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the car had already been left at Gurudev by my dad to get the synchros changed. I went there Saturday morning, and confronted Manoj - and he immediately pulled out a set of worn out synchros and claimed it was from our car. Now here's the interesting part: he said that the car had been driven badly, hence the damage. His definition of bad driving? Shifting up at 3K and upwards. My dad seldom hits the redline, but he definitely waits for 3k before shifting up. It is this quality that Manoj picked on (since he had been on a test drive with my dad a couple of days before this).

I asked him two simple questions:
1. My dad has never, ever short-shifted any car that he has driven. The Uno, Qualis, Innova, the other Octy, an Esteem, and the Petra have all been driven similarly. What makes this particular Octy so special that the synchros wear out so quickly?

2. The synchros are not damaged, just worn it. Meaning, the teeth are evenly ground down, rather than 1 or two teeth being unevenly damaged. This speaks more of a regular wear and tear rather than a spot bad shift damaging the synchros.

Needless to say, he had no answer.

Today, my dad visited the Skoda customer service head at Gurudev's office on Poonamallee High Road and related our doubts over Manoj's handling of the issue. Whereupon, the customer service representative pulled up the job card on his system and announced that it wasn't the synchros themselves that were being changed, but the synchro cones. I don't know what on Earth a synchro cone is, and I don't know why Manoj explicitely told me that the synchros themselves were being changed. Anyhoo, this vapid explanation from the customer care guy got my old man's goat. He is currently figuring out whether to approach the Skoda Corporate office, the media, or the Consumer Court.

Any suggestions?
Old 13th April 2009, 19:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
He is currently figuring out whether to approach the Skoda Corporate office, the media, or the Consumer Court.

Any suggestions?
2 cents which are worthwhile to you.

1) Skoda Corporate - Megha Choksey & the likes you have already seen how they respond. Media - well it will fall on deaf ears, they (Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.) are a hard boiled lot.
Consumer court = your risk, cost & the car will remain in the condition it is right now in the garage for the duration of the case.

Smartest thing to do is take the car out of there, i presume and will advise that it be out of warranty, get a better mechanic who is not a skoda authorised dealer. I am sure you will find lots. It will end up- being cheaper and better maintained in the longer run as well as the short run.

Cheers
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:31   #42
BHPian

Ice just get your car out of there and get it repaired outside. One can find many competent private garages who have excellent network for sourcing genuine parts. Best part is that they will do everything in front of your eyes and to your satisfaction. Complete peace of mind and money i say...
You can go against skoda, but not at the cost of your car sitting ideal for days, months or maybe even years at their workshop and gathering rust & dust. Its just not worthy enough of your time, effort and money.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:35   #43
BHPian

i like the title of this thread hehe.
coming back to the topic. snob value doesnt come cheap so get it done bro no other go
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 12:44   #44
Ice
BHPian

@mmmjgm & ashish22:
Sound advice. Unfortunately, these blackguards have already started work on the gearbox. Its so frustrating! And now my dad regrets sending the car to Gurudev because he went through this thread.

@sameel: Snob value?? Dude, Madras and southwards is inundated with diesel Octys. Zilch snob value currently. Not that it mattered in the first place!
Old 17th April 2009, 15:41   #45
BHPian

Ice, my sympathies for the troubles that you had to go through with your Skoda.

However, it is SOP for Skoda to fleece every bit out of their customers. If synchros on your Skoda are worn at 55K KMs, you should better ask them if they are made up of some very delicate plastics? It seems like they are using substandard parts in first case or you are also a victim of swapping out of original parts with non working or fakes as what Harish had to go through.

I have anyways pledged to never let any Skoda/VW group car in my family. I can't afford these kind of issues as I would like my car to be very reliable and it seems as if the work Reliable is quite an antonym to the brand Skoda itself. And regarding moving to court, its better not to because then you probably would have to forget about about your car which will keep on lying with the dealer. Ask Harish as to what he had to go through and even till date Skoda is not ready to budge. Rather would suggest you to have the car looked up outside for anymore fakes in it and come up to join Harish in his Class Suite against Skoda.
tajender is offline   Reply With Quote