Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th April 2009, 14:38   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Definitely sounds like crosswinds to me too.

Generally you will feel this more on larger cars (SUVs / Vans) which have more side-surface area to catch the crosswinds. As aah78 says, this effect becomes more pronounced at higher speeds too.

Infact, on some highways in the USA (Nevada etc) i have seens road signs warning drivers of severe crosswinds.

There is one particular place on the expressway i have noticed a crosswind as well.

And personally, i think 150km/h is out of the safe window for cruising on the expressway in a fiesta.

Drive safe!
R
Absolutely, I had a similar situation when i was returing from LA to SFO. I was driving a Poitiac Vibe (a coup) and was on a stretch from Interstate 5 to 101. This place is known was gusty winds and there are warning signs too. Being new to that place, I never thought they could really steer your car to an extent which is not thought off.

I was touching nearly 160Km and the gust of wind shook my car like a boat. I just escaped.

Well, my suggestion would be to drive below 100 in your run-in period. Go slow on your new car.

Drive Safely
rapidsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 15:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hello ,

How many kms is the run in period ?

amol
2000 kms on the odo--see the thread on how to run in your new car.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 15:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi all ,

I was driving my fiesta 1.6 sxi ( 1000 kms on odo) on mumbai pune expressway at arppx. 150 kms/hr. All was ok and car was stable but suddenly it swayed by few inches in both directions out of my control and without any notice. I was scared to death and urgently took my foot off the accelerator. Then mantained 120 kms / hr or lesser and it peformed well. Can anybody help me on this ? the road was good and all other cars were at higher speeds , i am not sure what happened , is 150 kms / hr. too much for fiesta or i need wheel balancing or alignment ? i really really would appreciate if somebody could help here , thanks guys !

regards

amol
you are the 3rd person complaining of the same thing. so i guess it is true now, i have also heard when going fast another fast car passing you, the car does sway then as well.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 19:18   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, Amol, no one can touch the Japs on reliability (especially Toyota followed by Honda). That said, they have their occasional - rare - hiccups too. My esteem's compressor was replaced under warranty after it went kaput during the initial ownership period. And many an initial Accord owner were left stranded on our highways due to a faulty fuel pump design.

The Ford Ikon does have it's share of trouble now & then.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 19:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I have a lot of friends who have Fords and its ridiculous the way they keep wanting to change everything every part rather than trying to repair it.
Not the only American manufacturer in India who insists on that. Give huge discounts and then recover that through parts.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 13:04   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
....i have also heard when going fast another fast car passing you, the car does sway then as well.
Absolutely.

If you ever park your car on the side of a highway (or any fast road) - everytime a bus or large vehicle goes by at speed you can clearly see your car shake from side to side. Same applies when in movement.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 14:30   #52
BHPian

I think we also have to take into account the Pune Mumbai Expressway is not being maintained well by IRB and its becoming increasingly risky to hit high speeds. I wonder what state they will give it back to the government after the 10 year contract. The surface has deteriorated significantly, especially the fast lane and surely L&T and Jog engineering should be held to account.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 15:19   #53
BHPian

I did try 140 + for a short stretch in my Fiesta Sport with its 195 R55 stock alloys and 130 + for fairly large stretches on blr - mysore and blr -chennai trips, hardly had issues like this, but it did unnerve me last weekend when I moved half a lane on a near empty stretch between hosur -krishnagiri as one of those mini trucks on three wheels (possibly ape or ace) poked his nose to take a right turn from the the other side of the road and the car moved far more than I expected it to close to the shoulder and the other way when I attempted to correct it, so kept it just about 120 for the rest of the trip. I guess thats the limit in our highways when we have vehicles (everything from cycles, cabs, two wheelers with two adults a teen and two kids on the fuel tank on them, bullock carts, tractors with trailers full of hay or sugarcane, loaded trucks, empty trucks and mini trucks( most risky) driving on the opposite side on the high speed lane and poking their nose to see when they can take a right turn in to the road that leads to their two bit village.

Last edited by marlinspike : 20th April 2009 at 15:21. Reason: spell check
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 15:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
I did try 140 + for a short stretch in my Fiesta Sport with its 195 R55 stock alloys and 130 + for fairly large stretches on blr - mysore and blr -chennai trips, hardly had issues like this, but it did unnerve me last weekend when I moved half a lane on a near empty stretch between hosur -krishnagiri as one of those mini trucks on three wheels (possibly ape or ace) poked his nose to take a right turn from the the other side of the road and the car moved far more than I expected it to close to the shoulder and the other way when I attempted to correct it, so kept it just about 120 for the rest of the trip. I guess thats the limit in our highways when we have vehicles (everything from cycles, cabs, two wheelers with two adults a teen and two kids on the fuel tank on them, bullock carts, tractors with trailers full of hay or sugarcane, loaded trucks, empty trucks and mini trucks( most risky) driving on the opposite side on the high speed lane and poking their nose to see when they can take a right turn in to the road that leads to their two bit village.
You are absolutely right! I never cross 120 on highways for the reasons you've listed.
It was only on the well-barricaded Mumbai Pune Expressway that I dared to drive so fast. Most of the time, I was tailing a fast moving car, as he appeared to know the road well.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You are absolutely right! I never cross 120 on highways for the reasons you've listed.
It was only on the well-barricaded Mumbai Pune Expressway that I dared to drive so fast. Most of the time, I was tailing a fast moving car, as he appeared to know the road well.
120 sounds a very safe limit for me also, even on the GQ! I have not done more than 135 on the GQ, especially because of the trucks that appear on both lanes and try to overtake at speeds of 20 and 21 km/h, and the numerous two wheelers and tractors that drive on the opposite lane with scant regard for anything and anyone else. With the kind of uncertainity that exists on our roads, 120 should be a speed limit we should try to follow. Even middle eastern countries where there are much wider roads and no irregular traffic movement, there is a 120 speed limit.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:51   #56
BHPian

Fiesta Sport was still pretty much planted on its feet. Just that the movement to either side was exaggerated due to the speed and its more to do with knowing how the car reacts to inputs at that time, but the driver hardly has enough time to take that into account in such a scenario.
I wonder how Verna Diesel would fare in a similar scenario at that speed. Going by the inputs on this forum on its handling at higher speeds, may be it would have left the shoulder and went for the ditch instead and if that did not happen may be on the correction hit the median and go over to the other side.

Hopefully for the guys with Verna D it just unsettles for the time and recovers just in time.

Some one whose been there and done that like rippergeo can make that clearer.

Last edited by marlinspike : 23rd April 2009 at 15:52. Reason: spell check
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 12:28   #57
BHPian

Angry shaman engineers wish to check the shocks again : Fiesta ruins my happiness

Hi All ,

I have again expereienced the wondering / swaying and now at 100 kms / hr which is certainly not high speed for Fiesta i guess. It was not stable at all and constantly made me uneasy on the highway. Hence i have decided to take this matter to Ford. I had put a complaint on ford india website in customercare menu about this wondering of my car at high speeds. The dealer got a message from Ford and Shaman has called me again ( thier service is good and prompt) as they need to inspect the shocks which they have changed free of cost. I feel they have doubts about the job they have done earlier. As per my knowledge the reason could be either the wheels alingnment / balancing or the shocks and the struts. Alright ........ BUT my question is " can any one enjoy if his new car is taken to the workshop again and again for inspections ? ? now how should i think ? have they done bad job while changing the shocks or what ? see this makes me sad very sad. In spite of having a brand new car , i can;t enjoy it , why ? what have i done ? haven't i paid them my hard earned money ? i feel they do not have any quality check here. Can they assure me that it would be as good as new , once they do the job on the shocks , is it going to be as perfect as it could be at the plant ? i have my doubts and now i can only pray to God to forgive me for buying a ford , i have wasted my money which my family could have used for better things in life than a car.Ikon had earned the respect and Fiesta is only taking it away. sob sob !!

amol
amolathalye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 14:14   #58
BHPian

Quote:
hi all ,

I was driving my fiesta 1.6 sxi ( 1000 kms on odo) on mumbai pune expressway at arppx. 150 kms/hr.
amol
Why did my Fiesta sway on the Expressway ?

-------------Thats the Cause!!

Its not designed to be driven that way......

Try taking her lightly - would save lot of hassels!!
Personally i cant drive comfortably above 80-90Km/Hr.
Though i floor the pedal once in a long while!!

Enjoy your new acquisition- Cheers.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 20:03   #59

Glad to see how many members pitched in! great ideas and thoughts.

What I can say from my experience (out of india, so dont flame me)

Small cars, India or not india, can be taken to high speeds. But again, depends upon the roads that you are on and also the Road Saftey Standards each country follows. The cars we get here are GCC (Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf) spec. Totally different from cars in the USA, and other parts of the world.

To determine the cause, ofcourse it was the high speed that you were on (which is not a problem until you have the support from other things involved).

1000 Kms is more than enough for engine break in. After that you take your car for the initial service and you are good to go. Earlier cars never had the technology that we posses now. Breaking in in just for a good measure. (I always believe in break in periods. What so ever.)

Tires : What size tires are you having? This will determine the size of your rims also.
PSI: What was your tire pressure?

Ive always thought about top speed before I got my hands on my Evo. Now, its all about control and stability. This has a lot to do with how your car performs with high speeds. Do not forget, at high speeds, our cars (including the evo) is like a wall hitting the air compared to other cars that are even more areodynamic.

Safe side: Get some lowering springs. (direct replacement to oem, better than complete coilovers)
Better tires. Read all about it @ the tire knowledge base we have here at Team BHP. Expensive tires are expensive for a reason and so are the cheap ones. My choice, keeping in mind my pocket and the drive - TOYO ZR1's. Try seeing what you can find in India. Im sure we have a good bunch of them being sold there.

Lastly, do remember - Speed is nothing withouth CONTROL.

(sorry for the huge post!)
MBG_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 00:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Default Relax!

Quote:
Hi All ,

I have again expereienced the wondering / swaying and now at 100 kms / hr which is certainly not high speed for Fiesta i guess. It was not stable at all and constantly made me uneasy on the highway. Hence i have decided to take this matter to Ford. I had put a complaint on ford india website in customercare menu about this wondering of my car at high speeds. The dealer got a message from Ford and Shaman has called me again ( thier service is good and prompt) as they need to inspect the shocks which they have changed free of cost. I feel they have doubts about the job they have done earlier. As per my knowledge the reason could be either the wheels alingnment / balancing or the shocks and the struts. Alright ........ BUT my question is " can any one enjoy if his new car is taken to the workshop again and again for inspections ? ? now how should i think ? have they done bad job while changing the shocks or what ? see this makes me sad very sad. In spite of having a brand new car , i can;t enjoy it , why ? what have i done ? haven't i paid them my hard earned money ? i feel they do not have any quality check here. Can they assure me that it would be as good as new , once they do the job on the shocks , is it going to be as perfect as it could be at the plant ? i have my doubts and now i can only pray to God to forgive me for buying a ford , i have wasted my money which my family could have used for better things in life than a car.Ikon had earned the respect and Fiesta is only taking it away. sob sob !!

amol
There is nothing wrong with your car. If Ford had imagined that you would react the way you are, they would have told you that nothing is wrong with your car (as several members here have told you), washed and polished your car for free, given you a cup of coffee while you waited and sent you away happy. Ford is just being over-cautious and checking / re-checking you car hoping that you will find it reassuring. Relax and enjoy your car. If you still have any apprehensions or if you drive regularly in very windy conditions please examine the possibility of upsizing your wheels and tyres.

I drove on the Mumbai - Pune expressway last month and I observed the following: there are some portions where there are very strong cross winds (the hills act as funnels), the surface has many irregularities and there are generous dollops of grease/oil spotting it. The stretch between Pune & Lonavala has always been exposed to very high cross winds. You mentioned that you were passing a SUV, just cutting into and out of his wake (slipstream) can upset a car. It was, in all probability, the wind or a dollop of grease on the road.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 10th May 2009 at 00:18.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote