Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th September 2011, 16:24   #76
BHPian

Default smell of some kind of gas inside my fiesta 1.6 SXI

Hi Friends ,

I have a ford fiesta petrol ( 1.6 SXI ) , I have not done any modifications and it's in absolute original shape.

Some months back my ac condenser was damaged when it was hit by a stray dog. Ford service station had got it repaired but the ac condenser was not actually replaced as there was no lewak then.

Recently whenever i enter my car for the first time during the day , it smells like some gas , after some time it disappears , could that be ac gas leak ? how do I check ? surprisingly the cooling is as good as ever. Help is appreciated

regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 18:21   #77
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: smell of some kind of gas inside my fiesta 1.6 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi Friends ,

I have a ford fiesta petrol ( 1.6 SXI ) , I have not done any modifications and it's in absolute original shape.

Some months back my ac condenser was damaged when it was hit by a stray dog. Ford service station had got it repaired but the ac condenser was not actually replaced as there was no lewak then.

Recently whenever i enter my car for the first time during the day , it smells like some gas , after some time it disappears , could that be ac gas leak ? how do I check ? surprisingly the cooling is as good as ever. Help is appreciated

regards
Amol
If the cooling is good then its not the AC gas, can be ingress from outside in case you keep your windows down. Suggest it to show to the service centre. Can you visually see any fuel leakage below the underbody?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 23:42   #78
BHPian

Default Re: smell of some kind of gas inside my fiesta 1.6 SXI

do you switch off AC just before you turn your vehicle off for the day? If yes, try running the blower for 2 mins after switching off AC. Try this a few times and see if the smell reduces.
I am told that the AC gas can be stuck in the ducts if AC and blower are switched off at the same time. The overnight stagnation of the gas in the ducts can cause this smell.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 05:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

Yes this smell is AC gas smell, and it means it might be leaking someplace albeit so slowly so as not to impact cooling. Sometimes the AC pipes are not joined well together and occasional they leak some gas giving out this smell.

Also what @vasanthn21 is stated in the post above makes sense hence no harm in trying that for a few days before hitting the service center.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 11:00   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
do you switch off AC just before you turn your vehicle off for the day? If yes, try running the blower for 2 mins after switching off AC. Try this a few times and see if the smell reduces.
I am told that the AC gas can be stuck in the ducts if AC and blower are switched off at the same time. The overnight stagnation of the gas in the ducts can cause this smell.
Hi

Actuall i only turn off the blower which i am doing since many years with all my ex cars , i feel surely there is a leak somewhere

regards
amol
amolathalye is offline   Reply With Quote