Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 19:13   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Do not increase tyre pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Linea has typically Euro ride quality (like my Benz for instance, but not as firm). Firm at low speeds (that's why your Dad doesn't like it within the city) but outstanding at high speed.

Except for running slightly low PSIs and softer rubber, there is little else that you can do. Period.
+1 to what GTO has stated.

Increasing the tyre pressure will make it worse. It will also overwork and damage your suspension.

If you are planning to change your tyres, go in for a higher profile. This will increase cushioning.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 19:37   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Go and TD another new Linea to confirm that its the car and not you.
I like this advice.
During my TD, I loved the ride quality in the linea. find it hard to believe that you find it stiff.

Also, like kpzen said- the tyre pressure is likely to be the culprit-new machine/nitrogen notwithstanding.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 10:28   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NA
Posts: 771
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Try 28psi. Air pressure makes a lot of difference in ride quality and also handling. With nitrogen, the ride is harder than air. Even though the recommended in my car is 32 front and 30 rear, I always fill 28/28 since the ride is a lot better and so is handling. FE suffers a bit but who the hell cares about a minor drop in FE.

Those tyres aren't great either - it would help if you change them to yoko c-drives or michelin xm1/mxv8.
It is not just about the drop in mileage/pickup and tyre wearing out, if you fill less than 30, you will have serious ground clearance problem over every speed bump, specially in the diesel one. I had experienced it.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 10:59   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 48,078
Thanked: 91,846 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Linea has typically Euro ride quality (like my Benz for instance, but not as firm). Firm at low speeds (that's why your Dad doesn't like it within the city) but outstanding at high speed.

Except for running slightly low PSIs and softer rubber, there is little else that you can do. Period.
I just thought of something else that you may want to consider : Drop the size of your wheel by an inch (e.g. 15 inch to 14 inch), but choose the right tyre size so that the original diameter is maintained. Downsizing is rare, but definitely workable. The low speed ride quality will improve substantially, though you will lose out on handling factors.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 11:20   #20
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Can the experts suggest me what to do? Can the shock absorbers be adjusted to give a comfortable ride or that we just have to live with it till we sell our car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Except for running slightly low PSIs and softer rubber, there is little else that you can do. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Those tyres aren't great either - it would help if you change them to yoko c-drives or michelin xm1/mxv8.

Hi Harsh,

To answer your questions.

1> You can change/modify existing shock absorbers to make them a wee bit softer or install a complete new set. Of course that would depend on the availability internationally and will cost you your warranty.

@ GTO - There is stuff that you can do but like mentioned above will cost him his warranty.

As of now your best bet would be to change your tyres to a softer compound and slightly wider tyre. That should improve your ride quality. If you are still not satisfied then you will have to look at aftermarket solutions.


Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 17:11   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 1,217 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
.
As of now your best bet would be to change your tyres to a softer compound and slightly wider tyre.

Viper
slightly OT but do tyres have any markings to say whether the rubber is ofsoft/hard compound variety ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2009, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Compound Vs. Sidewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
......

As of now your best bet would be to change your tyres to a softer compound and slightly wider tyre. That should improve your ride quality. If you are still not satisfied then you will have to look at aftermarket solutions.


Viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
slightly OT but do tyres have any markings to say whether the rubber is ofsoft/hard compound variety ?
A softer compound is different from a softer sidewall. I think we are looking for a softer sidewall in this case, as this is what improves ride quality by providing more cushioning.

A softer compound is the rubber on the tread which provides grip. Generally speaking, a softer compound increases grip and a higher speed rating would indicate a softer compound.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 15:00   #23
BHPian
 
Harshavarthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN 65
Posts: 309
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

The tyres in our Linea is GoodYear 195/60 R15 GT3 88T.

Front 32PSI
Rear 29PSI

Nitrogen.
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 16:06   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,489
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Reduce it to 30psi for the fronts and give it a shot
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 16:40   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,783
Thanked: 8,037 Times
Default

IMO, keep the same psi on all fours. I have never ever experimented with different psi in front and back and see that it greatly aides your ride quality as you simply decrease or increase for that all round affect. Do give this method a try too.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 19:15   #26
BHPian
 
pranava999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 820
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

it does feel a little bumpy at low speeds (10-15kmh) but gets better if you speed up. just finished a 100+ kms run today on both newly surfaced as well as small stretches of pukka roads and she handles really well. The seats are a little firm and that kind of accentuates the bumpy eel i think. but I am loving it...
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 21:41   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
it does feel a little bumpy at low speeds (10-15kmh) but gets better if you speed up. just finished a 100+ kms run today on both newly surfaced as well as small stretches of pukka roads and she handles really well. The seats are a little firm and that kind of accentuates the bumpy eel i think. but I am loving it...
That, is how the car is supposed to feel! Enjoy your new car that is built to handle well. The firm seats fight fatigue (see the ads for office chairs), the trick is to adjust and set them to your body.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 23:55   #28
BHPian
 
Harshavarthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN 65
Posts: 309
Thanked: 108 Times
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Reduce it to 30psi for the fronts and give it a shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
IMO, keep the same psi on all fours. I have never ever experimented with different psi in front and back and see that it greatly aides your ride quality as you simply decrease or increase for that all round affect. Do give this method a try too.

For the first 2000 kms i kept 30psi on all four tyres. But the FIAT manual itself suggests 33psi in front tyres and and 30psi in rear tyres if the load is low. I somehow feel its more comfortable after setting it to 32psi and 29psi. Might be a placebo affect too .
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 00:44   #29
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
For the first 2000 kms i kept 30psi on all four tyres. But the FIAT manual itself suggests 33psi in front tyres and and 30psi in rear tyres if the load is low. I somehow feel its more comfortable after setting it to 32psi and 29psi. Might be a placebo affect too .
Harsh,

In Linea manual, where did you find 33psi & 30 psi? as i could not find it. the tyre pressure in manual if i remember, are mentioned in some other units. or have you converted it to psi?
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 00:48   #30
BHPian
 
Harshavarthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN 65
Posts: 309
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Harsh,

In Linea manual, where did you find 33psi & 30 psi? as i could not find it. the tyre pressure in manual if i remember, are mentioned in some other units. or have you converted it to psi?

Its mentioned in BAR. You got to convert it to PSI.
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stiff power steering : What could be the problem? kshastry Technical Stuff 20 1st September 2017 18:23
Clutch gets stiff during nonstop driving for a while devsoftech Technical Stuff 17 4th May 2015 11:36
Power steering stiff in my Ikon wanderlustindia Technical Stuff 17 13th November 2008 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks