Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 14:41   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Replacing Clutch in a Ford Ikon 1.3

Hi All,

I have Ford Ikon 1.3 2004 model petrol car, which clocked 75k KMS

There is problem in clutch for which Metro Ford, Bangalore guys said it needs replacements and it would cost 9k + 2K labour as it involves too much work.

My friend advised to show to local guys to rectify if it requires simple repair and not replacements.

I have shown one mechanic and he also advised to replace clutch and added that it would effect gear box in long run. On my reservations of cost he advised I could think of buying imported or similar local model which would cost 4000/-.

Expert guys please advice, technically will it would be any problems? If I can replace non-ford made clutch which is best? what factors or parameters to be considered before replacing it?

Thanks in advance
Naveen
ksnaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 14:54   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default

What exactly is the problem in the clutch? Tell us in detail, so we can advise you whether a replacement or a repair is needed.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 15:30   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

it is too hard to press, in addition to that while changing gear. gear gets stuck and make a noise.

Since I bought a old car 2 yrs ago, I simply assumed probably it is worn out. If I could repair it, nothing like that.

But also please do suggest if replacing clutch from other than service centre is good idea or not? if yes which brand, make, and what parameters to observe

Thanks
Naveen
ksnaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 16:19   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnaveen View Post
Hi All,

I have Ford Ikon 1.3 2004 model petrol car, which clocked 75k KMS
---------------------------
Expert guys please advice, technically will it would be any problems? If I can replace non-ford made clutch which is best? what factors or parameters to be considered before replacing it?

Thanks in advance
Naveen
If your clutch has gone hard then you will have to get it replaced or it will affect your gear box later and screw your engine , your car will be smooth once you change your clutch.

One my friend had the same issue with his ZEN , his clutch had gone hard and after he replaced his car became smooth , but also suggested below please provide more details maybe you can better help ,
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 16:27   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Plateful of Clutch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnaveen View Post
it is too hard to press, in addition to that while changing gear. gear gets stuck and make a noise.
Looks like the clutch plates have worn out, which is why the clutch is not engaging properly. Please note that this is a critical mechanical part, and an improperly fitted/spurious clutch component can ruin the gearbox completely as well.

In the interest of your peace of mind (and the car's longevity), I suggest you go for Original Ford spares for this. Avoid getting imported/local duplicate parts.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 17:58   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks all for suggestions.

I spoke to mechanic again and asked abt gaurantee of clutch but looks there is no guarantee...but he assured that i can use it for another 5000 if cost is concern. not sure if I could because I'm not expert to evaluate HOW HARD clutch is and how much time I can still use it.

Also just another thought, can I get some imported clutch from US? My friend is coming next week and he can get it for me while returning back? Any idea if that is a good idea? Which brand I should look at?

Thanks for all suggestions so far

With Regards
Naveen
ksnaveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 18:10   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Exactly this is the problem with my Swift too which has completed around 55K kms. I have been running with hard clutch since 30k kms. Have questioned in a different thread on ill effects of running hard clutch, but unfortunately there were no replies to my query there (Does Swift has a weak clutch).

Yes, my smooth gear box turned bit hard and slotting the gear nowadays is bit difficult.

On pricing front, read in a different thread that Karthik247 have spent somewhere around less than Rs.3k for Swift OE clutch. Not sure whether that included cover assembly and release bearing. But Rs.9K+2K definitely seems to be on higher end, though Iam not sure about ford prices.

Any inputs on aftermarket clutch set performance and costs?

Last edited by Surprise : 8th April 2009 at 18:11.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 18:21   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
There is problem in clutch for which Metro Ford, Bangalore guys said it needs replacements and it would cost 9k + 2K labour as it involves too much work.
11K???

I got an estimate of just 6,800 (including labour) from Honda, for an OHC clutch replacement just last week.

Dont get it done at the dealership, you might be able to find the same clutch in the open market for less than 3-3.5K.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 8th April 2009 at 18:22.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 18:39   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default

11k from Ford authorised service center is inevitable. My advice - get it done from outside
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 21:37   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

It doesn't seems like a clutch problem but at 75k kms its alrady due for replacement.

I suggest you go for it. Valeo makes good clutches. get it done out of the Ford as it will cost you much less. Bangalore guys can help about the reputed non-dealer workshop.

Its a major job alright!. It will take half a day if the mechanic is competitive.
But also replace or check the following as it will save you labour money in near future.

1. flywheel groves, if worn replace this also
2. Flywheel bearing. if flywheel is changed.
3. Definitely clutch bearing.
4. New cable if non-hydraulic. Fluid flush and change if hydraulic.

ALso I suggest above work if you plan to keep this car for say another year or for next 50 thousand kms or so.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 22:11   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

1. flywheel groves, if worn replace this also
2. Flywheel bearing. if flywheel is changed.
My mechanic has highlighted that I might need to change the Flywheel too by just the feel of clutch shuddering. Says that would cost somewhere less than Rs.3k. Hence I guess the total cost would be somewhere around 9K

----------

Hence check with Ford on the break up of their initial quote and post here
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 22:17   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ahmedabad
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

All right guys, enough of this non genuine stories from all of you. The only way out of this problem is the Ford workshop. Let me tell you that a ortho cannot look into your eye problems and a physician certainly cannot. Simple, its important that you use the Genuine spares available only at the dealerships or authorised workshops as they have been precisely designed to handle the parameters of the car made for this country. Like the weight of the flywheel is altered to suit the torque specifications individually for the country the car is produced in. Well, the example here is, that Santro has TVS front brake pads as OE and identical units are available with the distributor too. However, the quantity of asbestos and metal differs in two identical units manufactured by the same company. The after market ones would squeal within 500 kms of fitment and the original ones would not bother you for the next 40000 kms atleast. The braking efficiency also differs between the two made by the same company. My experience with the ORIGINAL after market suspension and steering components for the skoda is similar. You would spend 1.5 times as much in this experiment.
Get your problem diagnosed by an expert and tell the ford guys to change nothing else but that. Your pedal would feel different than what it would have felt with the after market ones. Remember, exposure to the same problems repeatedly makes these guys function like production in a factory. Less chances of fitment errors and tooling does make a lot of difference.

My friend, look for mental peice and not cost, here. You have already clocked 75K and i am sure you have not faced any major problems as yet. Perils of being in Bangalore have resulted in this clutch issue. Take it or leave it. The after market spares of the most original variety wont last you longer than 10K. Yes, that less.

veishal
veishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 22:19   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,402
Thanked: 4,680 Times
Default

News is that my Ikon which is nearing 60k also needs a new clutch.

Anyone in Delhi knows a good mechanic who could source genuine parts and replace them ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 23:23   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veishal View Post
All right guys, enough of this non genuine stories from all of you. The only way out of this problem is the Ford workshop. Let me tell you that a ortho cannot look into your eye problems and a physician certainly cannot. Simple, its important that you use the Genuine spares available only at the dealerships or authorised workshops as they have been precisely designed to handle the parameters of the car made for this country. Like the weight of the flywheel is altered to suit the torque specifications individually for the country the car is produced in. Well, the example here is, that Santro has TVS front brake pads as OE and identical units are available with the distributor too. However, the quantity of asbestos and metal differs in two identical units manufactured by the same company. The after market ones would squeal within 500 kms of fitment and the original ones would not bother you for the next 40000 kms atleast. The braking efficiency also differs between the two made by the same company. My experience with the ORIGINAL after market suspension and steering components for the skoda is similar. You would spend 1.5 times as much in this experiment.
Get your problem diagnosed by an expert and tell the ford guys to change nothing else but that. Your pedal would feel different than what it would have felt with the after market ones. Remember, exposure to the same problems repeatedly makes these guys function like production in a factory. Less chances of fitment errors and tooling does make a lot of difference.

My friend, look for mental peice and not cost, here. You have already clocked 75K and i am sure you have not faced any major problems as yet. Perils of being in Bangalore have resulted in this clutch issue. Take it or leave it. The after market spares of the most original variety wont last you longer than 10K. Yes, that less.

veishal
Seems you are new here. This forum is full of horror stories about A.S.S. and dealers. Read a bit.

Gujarat is one of the place where people have lot of cash and they just leave the car on the mercy of A.S.S. . I have been offered many new like parts for 25% of the cost by mechanic in these A.S.S. Naming them is not appropriate here.
Check the case of a baleno AC works posted somewhere that Kataria people failed to understand and it was done out of the A.S.S. through someone i know.

I understand A.S.S. keeps top of the quality parts, but are the mechanic competent enough. And are they paid well enough. Think again!

I can say ahmedabad has worst Skoda and Maruti workshop.

One of the friend was stranded on a new Laura due to a diesel leak on the way to abu. on checking it was a filter gasket that was chopped by a mechanic during routine service. I had to do a quick repair job using a Loctite. They said it was not their fault and it worn out. Worn out gasket in a 5000 kms laura. They must have gone bonkers, with such a comment.
And when he went there after my quick repair job, he was warned for a voided warranty. and asked to change the whole housing. Man! loctite can be cleaned with a petrol. But who will tell them!
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 23:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,628
Thanked: 10,859 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnaveen View Post
it is too hard to press, in addition to that while changing gear. gear gets stuck and make a noise.

suggest if replacing clutch from other than service centre is good idea or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
It doesn't seems like a clutch problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My mechanic has highlighted that I might need to change the Flywheel too by just the feel of clutch shuddering.
A hard pedal doesn't mean a worn clutch, nor if the gears are sometimes sticky. Check first if the clutch release mechanism is fine - cable, or if it's hydraulic, that system. You are not reporting a shudder or slipping clutch, or low mileage or burning smell, so the clutch facings are probably fine.

Replacing clutch through an independent garage is a perfectly good idea, much better than going to Ford service centres. Your wallet will agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
News is that my Ikon which is nearing 60k also needs a new clutch.

Anyone in Delhi knows a good mechanic who could source genuine parts and replace them ?
Sure, how many do you want? PM please.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 8th April 2009 at 23:37.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ikon TDCI discontinued ? EDIT: Confirmed: Ford stops Ikon production greatmana2000 The Indian Car Scene 61 10th February 2011 19:20
Replacing Clutch on swift diesel samy3660 Technical Stuff 23 26th May 2010 19:05
Ford Ikon Flair - Gear Shift & Clutch hard snaronikar Technical Stuff 6 6th October 2007 04:06
Clarification on Clutch in Ford Ikon FlairBoy Technical Stuff 7 19th September 2007 01:27
Ford Ikon mod - fiesta head on ikon block? madhunm Modifications & Accessories 2 2nd July 2007 09:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks