Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th September 2011, 22:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tubeless tyre - nail puncture

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Im OK with the current situation if driving in city, but if going for a long drive, honestly it`ll be always at the back of my mind and I do not want to take any un-necessary risk.
As an indicator that the tyre has become risky to drive on, it will develop a bulge in that area long before it can possibly blow out at speed. If after a few hundred km in the city the tyre doesn't end up with a bulge, it wouldn't do that on a highway either.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 22:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
As an indicator that the tyre has become risky to drive on, it will develop a bulge in that area long before it can possibly blow out at speed. If after a few hundred km in the city the tyre doesn't end up with a bulge, it wouldn't do that on a highway either.
I am not sure when this nail got into the tire, however even if I consider last week (SAT), I have driven more than 200 KM within city limits in the last 01 week, there is no bulge or any difference w.r.t. other tires whatsoever.
Let me go to the tire shop tomm and hear out what they say.

Frankly speaking, now that I know that a nail got into the tire... whenever I drive 70+km/hr its there always in my mind
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 12:26   #18
BHPian

Went to the tire shop, they had a look and said it should be fine without any damage to the tire. Issue fixed, shall keep watch of the tire for the next few 100 kms. The culprit - nail of ~1inch :

Tubeless tyre - nail puncture-polosep11_21.jpg   <div style=
Old 25th September 2011, 12:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Issue fixed...
Did it need a puncture repair plug or not? Pic is out of focus, can't make out.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 12:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Did it need a puncture repair plug or not? Pic is out of focus, can't make out.
Yes, as soon as they removed the nail air was coming out, after that the usual procedure of inserting that semi-solid substance (not sure of the exact name) into the tire to fill the gap.
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 21:41   #21
BHPian

Need your advise as I don't have much knowledge on these things -
Due for tire rotation @10000 Kms, as per SA at dealership tire rotation would be X ( left rear ==> right front & right rear ==> left front).

Issue - Both the rear tires have 01 puncture each, problem is with the left rear tire which recently had a puncture on the borderline of side wall (please refer post #18 above)

Query - as per my limited knowledge, front tires take more damage as compared to rear tires (sliding friction?).

Is it safe to rotate the tire and use the almost side wall punctured tire as a front tire for the next 10000 kms ?
OR
Better use the spare tire and keep this side wall punctured tire as a spare tire ?

My only priority is safety.

However just to let you know, the almost side wall punctured tire is already in use (post puncture and repair) for 700+ kms and there is no pressure fall ( I check tire pressure weekly, no difference to the other tires ).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 14th October 2011 at 21:43.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:20   #22
BHPian

Is it normal for a repaired tubeless tyre to develop air leak at repair plug, say after one year of repair?
aks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010
Is it normal for a repaired tubeless tyre to develop air leak at repair plug, say after one year of repair?

No its not normal. It means either the patch has not been applied properly or there has been another puncture at the same point where the patch was applied.

In both cases the existing patch must be removed and a new one must be put in
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need your advise...
Is it safe to rotate the tire and use the almost side wall punctured tire as a front tire for the next 10000 kms ?
OR
Better use the spare tire and keep this side wall punctured tire as a spare tire ?
Quote:
Repeating my query - hope to get some expert adivse
In one word, yes. A repair plug on the shoulder doesn't compromise tyre safety if you are not cornering at mindless speeds. You will NOT suffer a blowout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
No. Plug material quality would be suspect in that case.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:51   #26
BHPian

A related query :

A repaired tubeless tire won't ever be like the original fully sealed one , right?Air would definitely leak out at a faster rate than the other(non punctured) tires.So, is it advisable to fill up the repaired tire to a slightly greater pressure(may be 1-2 psi greater) than the normal recommended pressure?
powerwidFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
A related query :

A repaired tubeless tire won't ever be like the original fully sealed one , right?Air would definitely leak out at a faster rate than the other(non punctured) tires.So, is it advisable to fill up the repaired tire to a slightly greater pressure(may be 1-2 psi greater) than the normal recommended pressure?
Filling up more than the recommended pressure is well, not recommended. Rest the gurus know better. :-)
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
A related query :

Not correct. Unless the puncture was not properly sealed, the repaired tyre is as good as a new one.

Even with a nail lodged in a tyre, the tyre may not leak. I have only found nails during tyre rotation because the tyre never leaked air.

Even with the puncture repaired, the tyre may not leak. I have had several punctures repaired on my tyres in the last eight years and only once or twice did the tyre leak air and I had to get the hole re-sealed properly.

So if done properly, there's no reason to believe a repaired tyre will leak air faster than a good one.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 21:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

When checking the tyre(MRF, Fiesta Classic stock tyres, done 20k) i saw a nail in between the tread.

There was no air leak(as checked for about 2 weeks). So should i remove the nail or should i let the puncture-repair guy to do it?

EDIT: I somehow have this intuition that having higher tyre pressure will also cause more punctures. Can someone correct me, if i am wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by ramzsys : 8th December 2012 at 21:29.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 21:29   #30
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
When checking the tyre(MRF, Fiesta Classic stock tyres, done 20k) i saw a nail in between the tread.

There was no air leak(as checked for about 2 weeks). So should i remove the nail or should i let the puncture-repair guy to do it?
Once you remove it, air might start leaking - so do not do it yourself unless you are planning to repair the puncture yourself too. Let the repair guy do it.
akp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote