Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 21:04   #706
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
W124 clutch should be feather light, now you have basically changed everything that needs to be changed. it sounds like the pedal is squishy and it has always to do with, Leak, air in system, cylinders. I don't not think the pipe should have a huge role to play unless it was way off in diameter


Just two question; what brand was the slave and master cylinder?

How is brake feel?
The pedal is not squishy. .its next to rock hard..both master and slave are ZTE.
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 21:09   #707
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I do suspect the hose as its local and may be expanding or causing resistance. .I ll try replacing it with another hose (also local). If the hose is a problem, it should go away ..atleast for a while. .
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 01:05   #708
BHPian
 
Ray32825's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 103
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
I do suspect the hose as its local and may be expanding or causing resistance. .I ll try replacing it with another hose (also local). If the hose is a problem, it should go away ..atleast for a while. .
If the pedal was normal whilst bleeding the system then it's not your hose. Did the pedal get harder over a period of time or all of a sudden? BTW, I sent you a PM as well.

Last edited by Ray32825 : 21st June 2014 at 01:10.
Ray32825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 14:00   #709
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray32825 View Post
If the pedal was normal whilst bleeding the system then it's not your hose. Did the pedal get harder over a period of time or all of a sudden? BTW, I sent you a PM as well.
Well I do suspect dirt in the spline restricting free movement of the release bearing. Will however inspect the hose amd slave before removing the gearbox.

Ref the fuel pump buzzing issue. .I pulled off the tank for inspection and heres what I found...
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-1403425784664.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-1403425811235.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-1403425832164.jpg  

sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 16:57   #710
BHPian
 
renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 184
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

I have a situation with my W124 E220,recently it has been throwing few tantrums,in the morning without pressing the gas pedal,it takes longer to start and does not idle well but the moment you give it some gas,it works fine,but i have noticed slight black smoke on idle and while accelerating too,the economy has gone for a toss though.Although there are few other parts which needs to be addressed and parts are already ordered,i'm wondering what could be the possibility of black smoke and poor mileage :-
1. Fuel filter clogged
2. fuel tank needs thorough cleaning
3. injectors clogged
4. Purge valve gone kaput (virat indicated it might be the reason)
5. some sensor not sending the right info.

These are few things running in my head constantly and i cant seem to find an answer.All your inputs,suggestions,advice would be highly appreciated.
Regards
Mandeep
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 17:56   #711
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hey Mandeep..get it scanned first. Although the points listed are valid, its the quickest and easiest to get a scan first and rule out n clear sensor errors.

Also check the connection of the coolant sensor. The points listed above are a given for our decade old cars. I am doing work on mine and considering thousands of litres of fuel has flown through. .all the above should be done anyway I guess...

lemme call u
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:14   #712
BHPian
 
Ray32825's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 103
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Well I do suspect dirt in the spline restricting free movement of the release bearing. Will however inspect the hose amd slave before removing the gearbox.

Ref the fuel pump buzzing issue. .I pulled off the tank for inspection and heres what I found...
Shanky, I would remove the slave cylinder from the transmission and see how the system works, making sure of course that you don't push the pedal too much causing the rod to shoot out of the slave cylinder.
As regards the hose I had the same problem on a old Mazda pickup truck and instead of buying and OEM part I just got a similar brake hose from a Japanese vehicle. It was a little longer than the original causing it to bend as you can see in the picture. I hope yours is not worse than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-p1100812.jpg  

Ray32825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:31   #713
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Well u know what..its two notches worse. .ill try to upload a pic
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:33   #714
BHPian
 
Ray32825's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 103
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Mandeep, sounds like it's not getting enough air and is obviously running rich. Hope your throttle body is not coked up, affecting your minimal air rate. I would start with some obvious visual inspections first.

Last edited by Ray32825 : 22nd June 2014 at 18:40.
Ray32825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:56   #715
BHPian
 
renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 184
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray32825 View Post
Mandeep, sounds like it's not getting enough air and is obviously running rich. Hope your throttle body is not coked up, affecting your minimal air rate. I would start with some obvious visual inspections first.
Throttle seems to be clean but will give it a look soon indeed.But i doubt it would be throttle body related,i am more inclined towards what virat pointed out to me over the phone that it might be the purge valve/MOT valve or something,i gave it a look,the vaacum was weak from one side of the valve,as in,if i pull out one end of the valve,the rpm fluctuates for a moment,i dont know if it is correct or not,I will be visiting patel autos soon for this and get it scanned properly.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:14   #716
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
I don't know what led to this switch being installed. The driver that got this done is no longer working for us. I am still confused about some of the buttons on the dashboard as i don't have the manual.

I also found a new switch on the panel below the steering wheel. it doesn't look to me like OEM Mercedes. it has a single horizontal line, followed by a circle and two horizontal lines. couldn't figure out what it does.
The switch that you mention appears to be similar to what is used as a changeover switch for different horn pairs.
Sometimes the same type of switch has been used for changeover from Petrol to Gas !
Karadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 02:07   #717
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post

Lights : go with 100/90; works like a charm; but before that ensure your lens is clean and properly levelled
Will the existing Headlamp wiring & relays not be overloaded ? The current drawn in amperes will be at least 66% higher than existing load.
Karadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:22   #718
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
I have a situation with my W124 E220,recently it has been throwing few tantrums,in the morning without pressing the gas pedal,it takes longer to start and does not idle well but the moment you give it some gas,it works fine,but i have noticed slight black smoke on idle and while accelerating too,the economy has gone for a toss though.Although there are few other parts which needs to be addressed and parts are already ordered,i'm wondering what could be the possibility of black smoke and poor mileage :-
1. Fuel filter clogged
2. fuel tank needs thorough cleaning
3. injectors clogged
4. Purge valve gone kaput (virat indicated it might be the reason)
5. some sensor not sending the right info.

These are few things running in my head constantly and i cant seem to find an answer.All your inputs,suggestions,advice would be highly appreciated.
Regards
Mandeep


You are quite right, for starting in all probability it is your fuel accumulator. only way to test is to measure fuel pressure. better just change that with filter and call it a day. [either way a service item]

and for rich running, it will be the coolant sensor. If you know how to use a Multimeter, will tell you how to test it. When this goes wrong it does not tell the ECU to lean the mixture post reaching optimum temperature. hence the smoke etc







Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
Will the existing Headlamp wiring & relays not be overloaded ? The current drawn in amperes will be at least 66% higher than existing load.

I was running HELLA relay and wiring for a long time, No issues. Had to change back after I a stone broke my headlight. SO changed the headlight and not got around putting 100/90 back

No issues with battery; your alternator if in good health will manage everything like a charm
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 00:44   #719
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
I was running HELLA relay and wiring for a long time, No issues. Had to change back after I a stone broke my headlight. SO changed the headlight and not got around putting 100/90 back

No issues with battery; your alternator if in good health will manage everything like a charm
I' sure there will be no issues from either battery or alternator, I was wondering where I tap off the power line from - would you be able to guide me regarding the same.
Secondly will the external lamp failure indicator work if the loads on the original wiring is only the Hella headlight relay load - this will not change in the event of a single filament failure occurring. Your views are solicited.
Karadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 07:01   #720
BHPian
 
Ray32825's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 103
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

I thought I would upload some pictures of the fuel and evap systems on the W124 series for you guys. Most of the pictures are off the M111 engine, but if you need information on the larger engines, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_90-jun.-23-20.35.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_91-jun.-23-20.35.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_92-jun.-23-20.36.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_93-jun.-23-20.36.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_94-jun.-23-20.37.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_95-jun.-23-20.37.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_96-jun.-23-20.38.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_97-jun.-23-20.39.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_98-jun.-23-20.39.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_99-jun.-23-20.40.jpg  

Ray32825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover support group! Sudarshan Post-War 295 6th August 2017 02:53
The Mercedes W124 E-Class Archive: Pics, Videos & Reviews Screwdriva The Indian Car Scene 34 23rd May 2017 22:12
Mercedes E-Class (W124) Used Value? Raja Luxury, Imports & Niche 88 3rd September 2016 15:18
W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy? GTO The Indian Car Scene 119 6th June 2016 15:24
USB/iPod support for a OEM HU w/o USB Support MadRash In-Car Entertainment 26 2nd August 2014 00:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks