Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 20:28   #781
BHPian
 
abhiram7912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, Hyderabad
Posts: 139
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
The headlamp itself can be cleaned. As for the indicator lamps, the original Bosch ones are almost impossible to find. DEPO (Taiwanese) turn lamps can be had for about 500 bucks, but they fade fast and it is best to stick with the faded originals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Open your headlight and clean it, it needs a clean; you don't need new ones unless lens is scratched. New OEM cost a bomb. Indicators are dime a dozen and cheap with range from clear, amber, blackish tint
So carried out my first DIY ever on a car. Took the headlamp out of the car and took the lens apart. Need an 8mm wrench and a flat head screw driver to remove the bolts and pry apart the lens from the body. I think someone took it apart before me, there are some clips missing. Lost one of the bolts in the grass under the car (will move the car and check again tomorrow) and the alignment is a bit off since it became dark by the time i put it back together. It looks better without all the dust, but since the chrome like coating on the bottom area is gone i kind of looks bad. I was not able to take an after pic since it became dark.

I could not fathom how much debris was in the headlamp, i don't even know how it got in there. the chrome like coating is gone at the bottom on both the main and the fog lamp (see the pics attached), which is leading to light reflecting only on the top part and not on the bottom. looks like i need a whole set. Any idea about how much a unit from DEPO would cost?

the first picture is before cleaning and the second is after cleaning.

The indicator lamp is a whole another thing the lens must have been detached somehow and looks like it was put back together with some sort of bonder. I am trying to do a facelift on the front of the car got a new grill and Mercedes hood ornament. I always liked amber indicator lenses so thought i would update them as well. I am looking to buy these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123) from ebay for about Rs.1000, but the shipping cost is Rs.3000. May be i can get the same set in India for cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imag0258.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imag0263-1.jpg  

abhiram7912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 22:19   #782
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
So carried out my first DIY ever on a car. Took the headlamp out of the car and took the lens apart. Need an 8mm wrench and a flat head screw driver to remove the bolts and pry apart the lens from the body. I think someone took it apart before me, there are some clips missing. Lost one of the bolts in the grass under the car (will move the car and check again tomorrow) and the alignment is a bit off since it became dark by the time i put it back together. It looks better without all the dust, but since the chrome like coating on the bottom area is gone i kind of looks bad. I was not able to take an after pic since it became dark.

I could not fathom how much debris was in the headlamp, i don't even know how it got in there. the chrome like coating is gone at the bottom on both the main and the fog lamp (see the pics attached), which is leading to light reflecting only on the top part and not on the bottom. looks like i need a whole set. Any idea about how much a unit from DEPO would cost?

the first picture is before cleaning and the second is after cleaning.

The indicator lamp is a whole another thing the lens must have been detached somehow and looks like it was put back together with some sort of bonder. I am trying to do a facelift on the front of the car got a new grill and Mercedes hood ornament. I always liked amber indicator lenses so thought i would update them as well. I am looking to buy these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123) from ebay for about Rs.1000, but the shipping cost is Rs.3000. May be i can get the same set in India for cheaper.
You will lose the headlamp leveling functionality with the DEPO lamps. I know that the OEM cost about 12 to 14K per lamp.

The amber lights are for the first generation W124 (pre-1992). The grill can be removed and painted, you can get fresh chrome inserts if you like. It is going to be hard to get the amber turn lamps here. I had to order mine from USA.
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 23:09   #783
BHPian
 
abhiram7912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, Hyderabad
Posts: 139
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
You will lose the headlamp leveling functionality with the DEPO lamps. I know that the OEM cost about 12 to 14K per lamp.

The amber lights are for the first generation W124 (pre-1992). The grill can be removed and painted, you can get fresh chrome inserts if you like. It is going to be hard to get the amber turn lamps here. I had to order mine from USA.
I don't mind losing the levelling function as 99% of the time its only me in the car and if i am not there it will be stored. I would rather put that toward the FIP repair i am currently putting off. any idea how much DEPO lamps could cost ?

the amber lights would still fit the later models right? I prefer the look with the amber indicators so want them. yeah already to get them in India tried but seems like no one has them only clear ones are available.
abhiram7912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 20:13   #784
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
I don't mind losing the levelling function as 99% of the time its only me in the car and if i am not there it will be stored. I would rather put that toward the FIP repair i am currently putting off. any idea how much DEPO lamps could cost ?

the amber lights would still fit the later models right? I prefer the look with the amber indicators so want them. yeah already to get them in India tried but seems like no one has them only clear ones are available.
DEPO set would be about 15 or 16K if my memory serves me.

Yeah, they ought to.
Here http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...Signal%20Light
Viraat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 20:40   #785
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Seems whoever opened the headlight earlier did not seal the glass back with either a sealent on MB compound hence water was getting in


A cheaper option would be check local junk yards, for headlights with useable reflectors or complete headlight

DEPO are good headlights, and level function can be ignored

However stay away from crystal / clear type lens due to following
- They leak like crazy
- the light pattern is not all that great
- some or most of them do not fit well, spoils the bonnet, fender and headlight shut line finish

Just my two cents


PS: Old style headlight reflectors atleast the main can be used, not sure of fog lamp
DeepakMenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 09:50   #786
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 263
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

You could get the reflectors electroplated if they only had surface rust, looks like these ones are far gone and have some pitting too, a logical solution is to replace them with DEPO ones, but A small mix and match might help you retain your original equipment.
Look for the possibilities to switch the reflectors from the DEPO to your OE, OR you if you feel thats too much of a hassle, try to retain the original headlight lens after giving it a good cleaning and fitting it to the DEPO unit, that way you get to keep the car as original as possible.

Oh and while getting your headlight fixed, it is best to use this opportunity to get the other one inspected and cleaned out as well.

Last edited by msaudf : 18th July 2014 at 09:53.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 21:29   #787
BHPian
 
abhiram7912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, Hyderabad
Posts: 139
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Seems whoever opened the headlight earlier did not seal the glass back with either a sealent on MB compound hence water was getting in.DEPO are good headlights, and level function can be ignored
Yeah it seems like that's what happened. same with the indicator lamp adjacent to this light, the glass was bonded using some black "thing" which faded the whole indicator and just looks ugly. I am trying to get some DEPO lamps in Hyderabad, but seems no one has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Look for the possibilities to switch the reflectors from the DEPO to your OE, OR you if you feel thats too much of a hassle, try to retain the original headlight lens after giving it a good cleaning and fitting it to the DEPO unit, that way you get to keep the car as original as possible.

Oh and while getting your headlight fixed, it is best to use this opportunity to get the other one inspected and cleaned out as well.
Keeping the old lens is a good idea, will definitely do that since the lens looks good after giving it a good clean. I am not yet comfortable messing with the wires or any engine bits, so will just stick to changing the lens. The other headlight and indicator look like new, must have been changed recently.

On the other hand thanks to sportz_kruzer, i was able to get the antenna boot and spare keys for the car. Will be putting in the antenna boot tomorrow.
abhiram7912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 22:20   #788
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Does the E220 have two fuel pressure regulators on the rail? I see one on either end, whats the story! ? Mine takes long cranks some times and sometimes it starts on one or two cranks.

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 21st July 2014 at 22:22.
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:01   #789
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Does the E220 have two fuel pressure regulators on the rail? I see one on either end, whats the story! ? Mine takes long cranks some times and sometimes it starts on one or two cranks.
As far as I am aware only 1; in the setup there is a Fuel pump, Pressure Accumulator and Filter on each side

If it takes time to crank it is Accumulator, however when did you to change your fuel filter [It is cheaper]

other problems include; however very unlikely

- Low battery
- Fuses
- Crank position sensor
- our all fav OVP
- Plugs
DeepakMenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:45   #790
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Yes I changed the fuel filter when I changed the pump. I ll try checking the fuel pressure provided I have a suitable adaptor. I have a compression test kit. .not sure if one of the adaptors provided will fit.

Ovp seems ok as I had re soldered all the joints 2 yrs go and cleaned all the contact pins.

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 22nd July 2014 at 13:46.
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:19   #791
BHPian
 
DeepakMenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 261
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Yes I changed the fuel filter when I changed the pump. I ll try checking the fuel pressure provided I have a suitable adaptor. I have a compression test kit. .not sure if one of the adaptors provided will fit.

Ovp seems ok as I had re soldered all the joints 2 yrs go and cleaned all the contact pins.
I would suggest replace it eitherway with OEM; also while at it, check for leaks as they also mess up with pressure
DeepakMenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 21:27   #792
BHPian
 
sportz_kruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 161
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

All looks good. .problem seems to have gone away after tanking up..will keep an eye on that one for now.

Also, my propeller shaft has quite a bit of play in it. I can turn it by hand by almost 15 degrees either way. Therrs also a "BUMM!" sound every time I change the gears accompanied by a jerk. It also jerks when I floor n release the throttle while in gear. The flex discs look fine and the play seems to be inside the diffrencial. The u joint is also good

Is therr any way to kill the play inside the diffrencial?
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 21:02   #793
BHPian
 
Raja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 414
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Going to Mumbai this week.
Looking for the 'Lambda' sensor mentioned a few pages back. Where can I buy one?
Exact place and location would be great with contact details as I am not that familiar with Mumbai. I am looking for the original Bosch version. Thanks
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 16:56   #794
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Going to Mumbai this week.
Looking for the 'Lambda' sensor mentioned a few pages back. Where can I buy one?
Exact place and location would be great with contact details as I am not that familiar with Mumbai. I am looking for the original Bosch version. Thanks
Try Maganlal Stores, Opera House. I had ordered a vacuum modulator for the automatic transmission, and they were the only ones in the country who had that in stock at that point in time.
+91 22 23826081. Ask for Mahesh.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:22   #795
BHPian
 
abhiram7912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York, Hyderabad
Posts: 139
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Some more questions for you guys who own / used to own a 250D, is the engine noise prominent inside the cabin say at 50kmph? can one hear the engine in cabin while running with windows/doors closed? How can you tell if the engine mount is worn out / in bad condition? I am asking because my car feels a little rough, i don't know if its the awful roads on the approach to my residence that are causing this or something else. the gear shifter also slots in rougher than earlier. I got the engine serviced recently roughly 600kms earlier.
abhiram7912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Rover support group! Sudarshan Post-War 294 22nd July 2017 17:41
The Mercedes W124 E-Class Archive: Pics, Videos & Reviews Screwdriva The Indian Car Scene 34 23rd May 2017 22:12
Mercedes E-Class (W124) Used Value? Raja Luxury, Imports & Niche 88 3rd September 2016 15:18
W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy? GTO The Indian Car Scene 119 6th June 2016 15:24
USB/iPod support for a OEM HU w/o USB Support MadRash In-Car Entertainment 26 2nd August 2014 00:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks