Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th April 2009, 10:52   #1
BHPian

Default vibration in OHC beyond 110km/h speed

I drove from mumbai to bangalore and back in the last week and while going i was able to reach easily 140km/h at certain streach, but while returning, as soon as i reached a speed of about 110, the entire car was vibrating. Once i slow down, this vibration disappeared. This is not the vibrations we feel with worn out brakes (i had replaced the brake pads about 15 days ago).

What could be the issue?
weejai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 10:58   #2
BHPian

I would immediately come to the suspected conclusion onto your wheels, with possibility of wheel balancing issue. I have been there before with same issue and it was resolved.

Check your tyres, some weights might have fallen off, requiring new weights and new balancing - would solve your problem. Last thing could be a tyre / disc problem. But this entire thing would be a wheel related issue, nothing else.

Let us know the result of checking and outcome!

Cheers
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

1. Improper Wheel balancing.
2. Have you recently fixed new alloys ? If yes then have you put the proper PCD alloys? Improper alloy PCD size might cause the wheels to vibrate in the sppeds of above 100kmph.
Please refer the thread "Solutions for vibrations after installing alloys"
thanks
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:49   #4
BHPian

Like others have said, its a wheel balancing issue. I had a similar problem with my Optra , The Car ( Mainly the steering) would vibrate when in the 110-120 KMPH band. Once above that or below that band , the car ran normally.
His Highness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 11:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheel balancing, yes, but also check the tyres for uneven tread wear. Common causes: faulty brakes or faulty wheel bearings.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 13:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Highness View Post
Like others have said, its a wheel balancing issue. I had a similar problem with my Optra , The Car ( Mainly the steering) would vibrate when in the 110-120 KMPH band. Once above that or below that band , the car ran normally.
While i will get the wheel balancing done and i hadn't got it done before i left for this trip, the car is running on stock steel rims and the tyres have done about 15k kms. The break pads are only two weeks old.

His Highness quoted that above or below the band, the car ran normally, but my car does not go beyond 120 and starts vibrating. Anyways, i'll update after i get this done.
weejai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 11:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by weejai View Post
While i will get the wheel balancing done and i hadn't got it done before i left for this trip, the car is running on stock steel rims and the tyres have done about 15k kms. The break pads are only two weeks old.

His Highness quoted that above or below the band, the car ran normally, but my car does not go beyond 120 and starts vibrating. Anyways, i'll update after i get this done.
It was 110-120 for my car. The band may differ in yours. Do the wheel balancing and then lets see.
His Highness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 13:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

1) Was the steering vibrating, or the entire car?
2) Did you try this again on a different road?

Some related threads (please search before creating a new thread) :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...my-wagonr.html (Problem with my Wagonr)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...xpressway.html (Wheel vibrations on the Mumbai-Pune expressway?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ibrations.html (Swift vibrations)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote