Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th April 2009, 19:21   #1
BHPian

Default Swift Zxi - Reduced pickup after second service

Hi,

My Swift Zxi was roaring in 1st and 2nd gear and the pickup was awesome but after my second service (3000 kms) I can see significant difference and clearly there is less power when it is fully loaded. I went back to the service station where I got the service done and got everything checked up and the engineer there said that it doesn't look like there is any problem( checked using the standard equipement). He also checked up with the guy who did the second service and he doesn't recollect and there is nothing noted about changes done.

I have to rev up till 2000 rpm and above to actually see some pickup in these gears.

Is this normal after second service where the peppiness of the engine is lost and the car smoothes down?
Any pointers as to what might be the problem? I really wish I could get that power in the lower gears. Love the sound
ashwinurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 20:51   #2
BHPian

they might have reseted your ECU. Just do some spirited driving for couple of kms and it should be back to normal. Happened with my OHC as well when i got it serviced. I reseted my ECU by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 10 mins and then did some high speed driving with regular redlining. It was back to its normal pickup after a while.

Last edited by ashish22 : 14th April 2009 at 20:52.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 23:44   #3
BHPian

I do not think that a service station would bother to reset the ecu during a routine free service. Any reason for the getting the 2nd service done at 3k km? Seems a bit early to me considering that your last service would have been at about 1k km. Was there some problem? Did you complain about low mileage?
When this kind of thing happens to my car, I can usually trace it back to inferior fuel. Did you fill at an unfamiliar pump?
However, do try Ashish's ecu resetting method since it seems to be the easiest thing to do. If this does not work, its probably the fuel. I cannot see any other reason for a 3k run swift to behave this way.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 12:58   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
did some high speed driving with regular redlining. It was back to its normal pickup after a while.
I've noticed a slightly similar thing. When I drive on the highways where I rev the engine close to the red line and then enter the city to drive normally, the car's engine seems to respond better. Is this because of the way the ECU was tuned when the car was driven spritedly?

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 14:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

3000 kms for 2nd service is way too early. 5000 kms should have been an apt time.

On similar lines, I did a Chennai-Blore GQ drive at speeds of 110-120 kmph throughout. But when I reached Blore and did some city driving, I found the car to be extremely sluggish compared to before the drive. Any reason why it happened ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 14:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
On similar lines, I did a Chennai-Blore GQ drive at speeds of 110-120 kmph throughout. But when I reached Blore and did some city driving, I found the car to be extremely sluggish compared to before the drive. Any reason why it happened ?
No offence, but it sounds psychological to me! Perhaps the effect of driving slowly after hours of high-speed driving made you feel that way.
Perakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3000 kms for 2nd service is way too early. 5000 kms should have been an apt time.

Must be just a feeling, happens after u drive 3 4 hours of high speed and suddenly have to slow down to live with the city traffic. I have felt the same many times.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinurao View Post
Is this normal after second service where the peppiness of the engine is lost and the car smoothes down?
Don't think so. My Swift Zxi is still peppy in 1st and 2nd even after multiple trips to service. But how did u end up doing a second service at 3k, have u already completed 6 months of owning the car?
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I do not think that a service station would bother to reset the ecu during a routine free service.
They don't do a reset. But the first thing they do when they start work on a vehicle is to disconnect the battery. This is done because a lot of mechanics while working on the car keep the tools on the battery (instead of using a tool trolley) and there is a chance of both the terminals shorting with each other and in turn blowing up fuses in your car.

So by doing this they automatically reset the ECU. Also the swift workshop manual says to disconnect the battery before doing any maintenance on the car especially on the engine.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 16:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
They don't do a reset. But the first thing they do when they start work on a vehicle is to disconnect the battery. This is done because a lot of mechanics while working on the car keep the tools on the battery (instead of using a tool trolley) and there is a chance of both the terminals shorting with each other and in turn blowing up fuses in your car.

So by doing this they automatically reset the ECU. Also the swift workshop manual says to disconnect the battery before doing any maintenance on the car especially on the engine.
+1 to that. This is the reason when the car comes back from service the Music system settings have changed and the car feels different.

If you feel your car is sluggish, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 10 min and then drive spiritedly. I ll be all back to normal.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 16:24   #11
BHPian

For Swift the second service interval is at 5K, how come you got it done at 3K.

I have recently completed my 2nd service for Swift ZXi, the car is much peppier and more refined after the service.

You can check what other members have suggested here i.e reset the ECU again by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting again after 10 mins.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 18:10   #12
BHPian

This is summer time so it could be due to the use of AC.

I have also felt slight loss of peppiness after each service but I think it is more mental. Things again return to normal after couple of days.

Another thing I have noticed is that the car is not so peppy if the fuel tank is near empty.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 19:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
But how did u end up doing a second service at 3k, have u already completed 6 months of owning the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
For Swift the second service interval is at 5K, how come you got it done at 3K.
The second free service has to be done before 5k kms or 6 months, whichever comes first. Unfortunately I couldn't take the car out for 2-3 months in between so it had clocked only 3k kms. But before giving it for service I had done around 500 kms so I doubt it has anything to do with me not using the car for quite sometime.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try the technique suggested by most of you of disconnecting the battery and doing some spirited runs.
ashwinurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 20:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

I dont think its an ECU reset issue, if so also it would be back to normal within 10-15 kms of running. Check you air filter and its plumbing.

More over swift P doesnt have that kind of pep under 2k rpm, if there is an issue at high rpm then it needs to be checked.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 21:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
They don't do a reset. But the first thing they do when they start work on a vehicle is to disconnect the battery.
I was at the workshop during a couple of services and I do not think everybody does this. However, I feel that you have hit the nail on the head in this particular case. It was probably a precaution to avoid accidentally deploying airbags since the car is a Zxi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
More over swift P doesnt have that kind of pep under 2k rpm, if there is an issue at high rpm then it needs to be checked.
True. People expect too much of their swifts (I too am guilty of this). So the overall consensus is: Disconnect battery to reset, then reconnect and redline. I feel this will work. If not, it could be a filter issue like Jaggu suggested.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote