Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th April 2009, 14:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Mobike.. I also have i10 -Kappa its 1 month old we got similar cars again .. Luckily i havent found any such issues either
Sorry for going OT : Isnt that a great coincidence? Mine is for wifey and I still enjoy my pete'd viva
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 14:03   #17
BHPian

Mine also is june 2008 purchase but I too havent found any issues with the PS as of now. But in your case it is better to be safe then sorry as it can get you into a precarious situation at any time.

Kindly keep us updated.

Mansi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 14:57   #18
BHPian

Gave the car to the workshop today. they said it'll take 10 days to fix the problem. The entire steering column will have to be changed.

Didn't get a replacement vehicle, unfortunately.

Went with Sunrise only cause the problem has worsened considerably, and didn't feel it was a good idea to drive all the way to Mathura Road during rush hour with the power steering going on and off intermittently.

Btw, Has anyone noticed that Hyundai workshop guys have become a lot grumpy? Have there been salary/job cuts there??
naru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 22:42   #19

Angry same prob

Hi,

i experienced the same problem yesterday . While parking at the end of the day , the eps light lit and power steering was lost . thought it was something i did , so restarted the vehicle , worked fine. tried again today morning and eps light lit again. called the 24 hours helpline number stuck on the windshield . guy asked me to get it to service. asked him how much time it would take he wasnt sure. let the car rest and went by bike. anyway how, spoke to HMP in chennai and lady said engineer will call be back with details on duration to fix the issue , got no call , so called back and spoke to engineer who asked to get it only on saturday morning as tomorrow may 1st. thank fully searched same prob and landed on this thread. 10 days is freakingly too long, plus if hyundai knows about this they should have recalled all vehicles with potential problems and fixed it . like most people , i bought this so that the wife can drive as well . this is a great risk hyundai is taking.

Will check with them on saturday morning and see what they have to say. just fixing it as a temp job isnt good enough.
kartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 15:37   #20
BHPian

Hyundai service guys who postpone the repairs should not be listened to, they would keep this attitude until your car is one yr. and then make heavy bills.

Why leave car for 10 days, Ask them to get the replaceable parts from company then call you and it should be done in a day or two max. with such morons i would NEVER leave my car for 10 days, god know what not could be replaced/stolen from your car.

Common thing i found was when you request Brake Pad Re-placements, they Bill you for entire set, but not all service men would replace all 4, I've seen this personally and since that day, I don't leave my car with these guys.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 16:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
Thanks guys, glad to at least know i'm not the only one facing this problem.

@gonecase_01 >>Did the service centre give you another car to use while yours was being repaired? I have only been to Sunrise in east delhi cause it's near my home, and the service standards there are not good at all (as you can see from my current plight).
No they didnt give me a replacement car but they serviced the car in 5-6 hours.. so a replacement car was not required.
gonecase_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 16:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Naru,

Since you have accepted the 10 day wait may be you can try this.

Did they document somewhere it would take 10 days and you signed? If not, you can send a mail/ letter by courier saying you need the car ASAP, its affecting your work and you are undergoing loss due to their inefficiency. Narrate the whole sequele of events, like how many times you went there, how many calls you made, whom you met (names) the number of man hours of work you lost bla..bla..... this would establish precedent of trouble and ownership pain for the said car. You can ask that the least they can do to compensate is with a replacement car or daily taxy fare. Write this letter, you'd see a sea change in their behavior once an official complaint hits the service team.

When I had my Santro LP, my gear box was replaced within 6 months, the 2nd was getting stuck. They were giving me the classical song and dance to delay and said it would take 5 days to change the box. I sent a letter on the above lines, they flew in a gear box 3 days after the letter hit their office, gave me a replacement car. After 2 days, they asked me to take delivery, the job was not smooth, I refused to take delivery, wrote a letter to that effect again. On the same day, they worked throughout the night, next day tested it out and gave me back the car all smooth. So it took me 4 days to get the car back.

Learning: Push them hard, do not listen to nonsense and RECORD problems. Later, if your problem occurs under the warranty period, your letter with establish history.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 2nd May 2009 at 16:30.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 11:25   #23

Default fixed! . for now???

went saturday morning. told the service engineer the problem and told him it seems to be common . he was surprised and asked him who told me. told him checked on the net that many users had it. he said he wouldnt be able to tell me when it would get ready as they had to diagnose the prob. said no charge for replacements , but only bolts might need changing which will be nominal . anyways had 3rd service koming up in a few weeks, so asked him to finish the job with the service. got the vehicle back at 3. Seems they started free delivery recently. no extra charge. spoke to the engineer who informed it was a motor problem. asked him if it was replaced and wouldnt kause an issue , he said yes. bill including service was around 876.00

bolt-safety lock charge - 69.08x2 = 138.15

had to go out immediately so tested it well . steering was so damn free. driving with no eps was hell, wrist injury due to konstant mouse use was aggravated by the hard steering. gear was smoother. overall they gave a good polish and was fine. delivery guy said they didnt have paint, else would have done a touchup. he said kan have that done next time. good option since i was about to buy com-paint spray paint (around Rs.300) for that purpose.

plus got an automated reply email from customer relations hyundai after sending them an email on friday before the service.

got the service numbers, which will be helpful.

In case you are not contacted within 3 working days, you may contact our Regional Offices from Monday to Friday between 8 am till 6 pm at:-
HMIL North Regional Office Service Support Ms. Neetu 0172-6605000
Sales Support Ms. Harpreet 0172-6605029
HMIL South Regional Office Service Support Ms. Latha 044-42204623
Sales Support Mr. Sivakumar 044-42204674
HMIL Central Regional Office Service Support Ms. Jayshree 011-66241100
Sales Support Ms.Aparna 011-66241100
HMIL West Regional Office Service Support Mr. Swapna 022-40969028
Sales Support Ms. Juanita 022-40969035
HMIL East Regional Office Service Support Mr. Chaitanya 033-40060047
Sales Support Ms. Subhadra 033-40060047
For any queries/complaints on product and service you may also reach us at our 24X7 Customer Care Toll Free Number: 1800-11-4645 (From MTNL/BSNL) or 9873564645 from others.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th May 2009 at 11:30. Reason: font tags
kartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 13:52   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Did they document somewhere it would take 10 days and you signed? If not, you can send a mail/ letter by courier saying you need the car ASAP, its affecting your work and you are undergoing loss due to their inefficiency. Narrate the whole sequele of events, like how many times you went there, how many calls you made, whom you met (names) the number of man hours of work you lost bla..bla..... this would establish precedent of trouble and ownership pain for the said car. You can ask that the least they can do to compensate is with a replacement car or daily taxy fare. Write this letter, you'd see a sea change in their behavior once an official complaint hits the service team.
At what address did you mail your letter too? I have FE issues with my i10 AT (1 month old, FE of 5.95 & 5.57). I spoke to the dealer who said to wait for the first service. Sent Hyundai an email and got an automated response. Also got a call today from Hyundai saying that they have noted my complaint and will follow it up in two days. I still would like to know the address just in case...
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 22:26   #25
BHPian

My 2011 i10 kappa2 seems to have a power steering issue! I find the steering to be tight and even told the SA about it and he says that all i10s steering are like this but I find this weird. After driving the new swift, Vento i find that this steering is tight. Did wheel alignment recently but even that did not solve the problem. PS oil too seems to be in level! After going through this thread I guess I might have to change the power steering module. Has anyone else faced this issue with recent i10 models?
zwift1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 12:04   #26

Exclamation Re: Trouble with i10's Power Steering

Hi,

Over this last weekend I have observed a problem with my i10's EPS.

I have a July '13 i10 1.2 Kappa2 Sportz.

I had parallel parked my car on Friday night. Usually the lane next to the car is empty, but some one parked his car parallel and slightly offset to mine leaving very little space to get out.

Now, since I am a novice driver it took me some time to get out of the spot early next day i.e. Saturday. This involved a lot of on the spot turning of the car.

After some time I observed that the steering was getting heavier and I had to use my strength to turn the steering wheel.

The EPS light was not on when I felt the steering was heavy.

So I switched off the car and then on again hoping that this would rectify the problem. But it did not!

On Monday evening, the same thing happened! Same parking spot, same blocking car. When trying to get out of the parking spot, after some maneuvering, the steering started feeling heavy!

But once I drove out, the problem did not resurface! Neither was there any problem with the steering on both the days I drove. I guess I drove around 70 kms in total for the two days.

I have been in this type of situation couple of time earlier when I had to do a lot of maneuvering to park, but the steering never felt heavy.

Is this a common occurrence? Or is it because I was stationary and moving the steering wheel (the engine was running though).

Should I get the car checked immediately? I am not sure if I can recreate the situation.
deshmumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 20:45   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Trouble with i10's Power Steering

My brother in mumbai is facing a peculiar problem in his i10 1.1 (CNG) Magna oct2012 since a month while driving.

Kms till date : 8500
Driving pattern: only City

Problem : Since a month while driving the car (speed range 30-40 kmph) the steering wheel becomes stiff. Which means It feels like the car has lost the power steering and driving on the manual steering mode. An effort has to be put to maneuver the car. In this condition nothing else feels to be wrong with the car.

During first instance, the car was driven for next 15 minutes till destination. When the car was started for return journey, surprisingly the problem was gone ! The problem was ignored & the visit to service station was skipped.

Second instance : Happened again after a couple of days, stopped the car, Power-off the engine and the car completely. Restarted the car immediately and Voila the problem again vanished !

No EPS light blinks on the dash.
No leakage noticed under the car when parked overnight.

Can some body guide/point out as what could be the issue before the car lands up in service station and get struck by a large bill.

History : Had a problem of rat bite on the steering boot zone 6 months back. Also ODO sensor wire was cut and got damaged. The sensor was replaced at Hyundai service. Since then till date never has any issues.

Any pointers?
faridsahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 08:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trouble with i10's Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshmumn View Post
After some time I observed that the steering was getting heavier and I had to use my strength to turn the steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
An effort has to be put to maneuver the car. In this condition nothing else feels to be wrong with the car.
I do not know the exact problem but I can see a common link for both the above issues. I know that service centres cannot be trusted to come up with an easy fix, even though they may know that replacement of certain parts isn't necessary they will still recommend it in the context of long term reliability. Funny that the solution givers are the problem here.

That being said this is my understanding of EPS, usual rack & pinion setup, EPS relay to draw battery power for the motor to assist the steering. Now there *could* be an issue with the electricity supply either from the battery or the relay. Again could be something as simple as adjusting or cleaning terminals or not. There is also a safety cut-off for the EPS motor wherein the motor shuts off for about 15 mins when overheated then re-starts again to function normally. This *may* be the issue in both cases losing power when in motion. Parallel parking from a tight spot requires full end to end turning putting maximum load on the motor, and doing so for about 10 mins might overheat the motor. Steering related complaints are best fixed early, specially when it stops assisting when driving. I'm not sure what the solution would be exactly, but in both the cases I suppose the EPS has to be monitored as to how long after working does it cutoff and whether it functions normally under minimal load (less turning).
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote