Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th April 2009, 18:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

The VK-70 install on my car looks stock. Nine out of ten people who sit in my car ask me "Why no sunfilm yet?". If you want high VLT with a stock look, this is the option for you. I guess front windscreen sunfilm from any other brand can be used all over and be stealthy.

VK-70 has that light green tint that looks like tinted glass from factory, so it is very stealthy.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:47   #17
BHPian

ImmortalZ, how much did your setup cost you?
srijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:53   #18
BHPian

How about using Roller Blinds from inside for each window. I guess it will solve your purpose.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
How about using Roller Blinds from inside for each window. I guess it will solve your purpose.
That is a pretty practical and low cost solution.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 20:12   #20
BHPian

I got 3M 75% rejection tint and 25% on the front
It is ok as long as i have the AC on - but not too effective otherwise if i park the car for too long in the sun.

I guess we need to have some kind of reflective coating on the roof also.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 20:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
That is a pretty practical and low cost solution.
And curtains too.

But that is banned. What is banned is not sunfilm, but anything which keeps visibility below 50%.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 21:00   #22
BHPian

Thumbs down Sun-films are 'NO' for me

I have NOT installed and never going to install sunfilms in my Civic-AT.

Reason 1: Anything that cuts visibility during driving is dangerous. Sunfilms are dangerous at nights, during heavy rain and fog, when reversing, etc.

Reason 2: From my previous experience with cars I am terrified to disturb my 'stock' setup. For installing sun-films the door pads have to be taken out, etc. I believe that your car can have a long life w/o problems and high reliability better if you do not disturb the original factory assembled things like door pads and wiring.
This is again the reason that I have NOT gone in for a power-horn, more powerful headlamps or an ICE setup. (I plan to have my car for at-least 10 years). My OHC 1.5 started giving me a lot of problems in the seventh year of its life due to the above reasons.

I have installed 'sun-shade' from Honda itself, which fits over the rear windows and can be removed at will. (Though they are expensive at around Rs 5.5k).

I believe that my car has already slightly-tinted windows which are enough to keep away the heat. All this film business is just wasting away money! And all glass, even clear ones stop harmful UV rays.

And keeping one's privacy with sun-film is crazy. The car's windows MUST be clear for driving purposes (see reason 1 above).

I do not wish to offend anyone, this is just MY way of thinking .

Anyway I was not like this 10 years earlier! I was younger and I did have RE50 film on my OHC! .
manim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 21:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have 70% visibility film on by Civic. It is near impossible to spot the difference. I have driven several long distance trips with these on, in the night and in the rain and have faced no problems. Peninsular Honda hasn't complained, which is a wonder - they say "WARRANTY!!!" when I mention any mods of any form.

As for efficacy, well, the sun doesn't burn my face off and drives on sunny days are much more comfortable, all the while retaining the Civic's airy feel. Enough for me.

As for cost, it cost me 35K.
Old 20th April 2009, 21:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Better solution would be to wear full sleeved clothing to protect from direct sunlight & associated heat and wear Sunglasses for your eyes. And most importantly make sure your car a/c works fine.
To improve air circulation install a plug & play auxillary fan on your dash powered via your lighter socket. A few fancy looking colorful fans similar to the CPU cooling fan on a desktop comp are available. You can direct air to which part of your body is overheating. This is indeed very effective.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 21:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

The problem is that if you are wearing blue denim jeans, direct sunlight causes them to heat up very much.
Thats why something to prevent sunlight from hitting the legs!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 23:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
experience with cars I am terrified to disturb my 'stock' setup. For installing sun-films the door pads have to be taken out, etc. I believe that your car can have a long life w/o problems and high reliability better if you do not disturb the original factory assembled things like door pads and wiring.

I have installed 'sun-shade' from Honda itself, which fits over the rear windows and can be removed at will. (Though they are expensive at around Rs 5.5k).
Dont think door pads need to be removed for film install. They do it just like the front windscreen.

OT, could you post a pic of your sunshade. Need one for my Civic.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 23:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Door pads have to be removed.
Old 21st April 2009, 00:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The problem is that if you are wearing blue denim jeans, direct sunlight causes them to heat up very much.
Thats why something to prevent sunlight from hitting the legs!
I always wonder why people in India wear Jeans, that too in summer.

(i always joke with my friends, that they all got brainwashed by western influence into buying jeans (levi inturn makig profit) due to peer pressure and lack of confidence - if you dont wear jeans you aint modern wft!)

Since then, burned the jeans and switched to summer Shorts or Light Khaki Chinos - feels great, and also prevents sperm overheat damage.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 02:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
(i always joke with my friends, that they all got brainwashed by western influence into buying jeans (levi inturn makig profit) due to peer pressure and lack of confidence - if you dont wear jeans you aint modern wft!)

Since then, burned the jeans and switched to summer Shorts or Light Khaki Chinos
I really wonder where some of these really lovely ideas come from. Honestly. Like 100 years back, Indians were running around in shorts or khaki chinos.

The word was more like dhotis, pajamas, or if you're poor chaddis.

Its also quite hilarious how many such gems are linked back to western civilization

How about a thread (i'm serious) on the damaging influence of western civilization on India, and Bengaluru in particular? In Shifting gears. That would make for good reading!

PS: Its western influence that we are communicating via an internet forum. Bad influence no? LOL.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 09:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

Even with khakis, direct sunlight hurts, esp when its midday in a 41 degrees day. But since I am heavily influenced, have lots of peer pressure, and am totally underconfident, I prefer jeans while driving, so it would be great if I can have a solution
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote