Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st April 2009, 17:11   #16
BHPian

One way of securing the car is to use gadgets that would help us in remotely shutting it down. The other would be to use "Club" and I see it as the most secure safety device. I have seen it working well even in some of the most dangerous down towns in US - Bronx, Brooklyn, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, etc.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 18:11   #17

Default GPS tracker very effective!

We have used the Beacon GPS tracker system in our vehicles provided to us by GPIL (beacon | : geo positioning infomatics & locator).

It can be very effective in case of theft or pin pointing unauthorized use of vehicles.
philipracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 18:40   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In some cases, the car wouldn't even exist by the time that the owner realises his loss. These dudes disassemble the entire car within a matter of hours.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO you are correct and that is why these systems offer SMS alarm the moment tracker battery is disconnected alongwith the pin pointed location.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:56   #20
BHPian

There is one option, but not sure if we have this service here in India. I did see with my friends in the US. For all the high end cars, you can buy a 24x7 Security Surveillance service, where in the car would have probes, which go based on the sensitivity and the options you choose. The moment, the alarm in the car goes on, within 15 secs, you get a call on your first choice (home, work, mobile, pager). In case they cannot reach you, then they will inform the nearest police patrol to check on the car.

And I saw this first hand myself. One evening at a family gathering, kids were playing basketball and the ball accidentally hit the car. My friend started running into the house and by the time he got the door, the home land line was ringing and it was the call from the security NOC to check if he is anywhere near the car.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes the GPS/GSM based systems do that and if you are willing to pay for 24x7 surveillance you get that. Or you can get the device programmed to give you call on your land/mobile or SMS.

The sensitivity setting is up to you but in our crowded cities where on road parking is a norm keeping it too low generates too many false alarms. Just imagine getting an alarm every time some one brushes past your car while walking by.

To me device at ~10k and montly charge of 100~200 is worth the trouble of getting it stolen.

Another use is map location. I actually have had incidents where wife, son or daughter were lost navigating in the city and needed driving direction. Since the service is also available on phone browser i was able to place them on the map and give directions.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote