Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st April 2009, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Default Changing the Frame of Lancer

Hi,

I have a 2001 Petrol Lancer. Mileage clocked to 80K, vendor serviced and maintained.

A year and half ago, I met with an accident and the left side of the frame was damaged so badly that I had to change one of the doors. The other banged part, was heated, pulled and bought back to structure. Luckily for the speed I went, I had no injuries.

Though the car is now in shape, I'm still not happy with the job done. When I go in speeds above 110kmph and if I make a turn, I hear small and quick noises in that welded area. Many suggested strengthening.

As I'm very attached to the car and still feel that it saved my life., I feel that rather an abandoning I should keep it. Since the frame is "fragile", I thought I can change the frame to a new one.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to change in to the new Mitsubishi lancer chassis/frame on my lancer. I still feel that my lancer can run another 50k kms, after which I plan to get implant another lancer engine. ( Lancer fan for life ) ( Note: I just need the frame, I can use the same shocks, wheels, glasses, seats, etc., )

2. How expensive is it ? And where can it be done ? ( Im in Coimbatore/Chennai ).
csshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 16:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshyamsundar View Post
1. Is it possible to change in to the new Mitsubishi lancer chassis/frame on my lancer. I still feel that my lancer can run another 50k kms, after which I plan to get implant another lancer engine. ( Lancer fan for life ) ( Note: I just need the frame, I can use the same shocks, wheels, glasses, seats, etc., )
You can get a partial frame from a wrecked car but you will require a Jig to reweld the same back to the correct specifications. Buying a new frame will be way more expensive than just buying a second hand petrol lancer due to labour and parts.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 17:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Doomsdayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshyamsundar View Post
Hi,

I have a 2001 Petrol Lancer. Mileage clocked to 80K, vendor serviced and maintained.

A year and half ago, I met with an accident and the left side of the frame was damaged so badly that I had to change one of the doors. The other banged part, was heated, pulled and bought back to structure. Luckily for the speed I went, I had no injuries.

Though the car is now in shape, I'm still not happy with the job done. When I go in speeds above 110kmph and if I make a turn, I hear small and quick noises in that welded area. Many suggested strengthening.

As I'm very attached to the car and still feel that it saved my life., I feel that rather an abandoning I should keep it. Since the frame is "fragile", I thought I can change the frame to a new one.

My questions are:

2. How expensive is it ? And where can it be done ? ( Im in Coimbatore/Chennai ).
Very emotional, but not very practical. Here are my 2 cents:

1) First, realize that every car's bodyshell is designed to absorb one serious impact (not more) and save its owner's life. After your crash, you have welded together the original frame. But a welded frame can never have the tensile strength of an original one-piece frame. Heaven Forbid, if you have another accident of a similar kind, then the same car you think has saved your life will be responsible for taking it!

2) As Psycho said, the cost of obtaining a new Lancer frame will be more expensive than buying a second hand Lancer! Plus you can avail bank finance for the latter.

3) Your car is already 8 years old. Sure, the Lancer Engine is reliable enough to run another 50K kms. But trust me, the body (and cycle parts) will go from bad to worse in those 50K kms.

4) I'm not even getting started on what resale value an already 8 year old, 130K run, accident case car will fetch you.

You want to remain a Lancer fan for life - kudos to that. But dont be shortsighted. Sell off the car and get another Lancer in its place, and ensure your safety.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote