Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd April 2009, 08:49   #16

Sorry I haven't been more descriptive. The best I can explain is that there is a hollow low frequency vibration sound like something is loose and ready to come off, like on gravel or continues bumps. Also there is some play in the steering which I guess can be explained because of bad wheel alignment?

Sending the car to get the wheel alignment, balancing, rims and tires checked. Will also get the forks checked. Anything else I need to be aware of or that needs to be looked at?

Thanks!

@happyWheels: Haha, yes it does seem that I'm hoping that the suspension is screwed just so I can upgrade.
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 06:41   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The swift suspension is the only one that i have not broken in 20k kms of driving. Check the wheels.
if you can wait till september, the bilsteins will be launched. And rumours are that they are going to be very competitively priced.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 10:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default To Launch or not to Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
if you can wait till september, the bilsteins will be launched. And rumours are that they are going to be very competitively priced.
Eh? Hasnt Petes launched the Bilsteins in India already? At least its put up on their website, and they even ran a demo on some test track couple of months back!
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 13:21   #19
HKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
IIRC somebody in this forum had mentioned that the diesel has softer suspensions. Cannot imagine a stiffer suspension than my petrol Swift!
As the diesel engine is heavier, the suspension has to be more stiffer.
HKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
As the diesel engine is heavier, the suspension has to be more stiffer.
I remember reading in this forum itself that the diesel has a softer suspension than the petrol. So I searched and found the thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...uspension.html (Changing the Swift suspension ??)
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 21:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Eh? Hasnt Petes launched the Bilsteins in India already? At least its put up on their website, and they even ran a demo on some test track couple of months back!
Not for the swift. I check with him every 2 or 3 days about the bilsteins
He's probably sick of me by now. BTW- they will come with a 1 lakh kilometer warranty.

Last edited by rippergeo : 28th April 2009 at 21:05.
Old 29th April 2009, 10:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Not for the swift. I check with him every 2 or 3 days about the bilsteins
He's probably sick of me by now. BTW- they will come with a 1 lakh kilometer warranty.
Wow! 1 Lakh km warranty! Hey, just in case they're for your Verna CRDI (same as mine), can you tell me what prices he will ask for? Dont want a definite price, just something indicative, so I can start planning.
Old 29th April 2009, 13:19   #23
BHPian

hey spartan havent you finished with the checking yet????

rippergeo: i just hope i can have a set on my wagonR soon she's up for a suspension overhaul next service.
valhallen.282 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:12   #24
BHPian

very confusing thread

The guy is talking about damaged suspension, while people are suggesting him performance struts.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
very confusing thread

The guy is talking about damaged suspension, while people are suggesting him performance struts.

Read carefully. People are suggesting performance struts as he himself is looking for performance replacements to a damaged suspension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
i was thinking of getting some after market springs and dampers and looking for some recommendations.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
very confusing thread

Why laa... he damaged them because he was doing thing he should have done using performance struts! All are just guiding him in the right path!

HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 17:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Why laa... he damaged them because he was doing thing he should have done using performance struts! All are just guiding him in the right path!

He definitely knows he can get it covered under warranty if he wants to!
alexnazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 19:35   #28

The Bilsteins are custom built for the swift. Currently, I dont think they have anything for the verna. Anyways, all I'm saying is that we wait till they are actually launched.
Old 29th April 2009, 21:23   #29
BHPian

Bumps are mostly absorbed by the Suspension, but a significant part depends on the Tyres. You have increased the Dia of wheels but the effective road to Wheel area is reduced, and this is the area of tyre ehich absorb a lot of bumps.
secondly In alloys a fair part of shock is transfered to suspensions, as they are too rigid. So in a way you have already reduced the ride comfort.
This sort of arrangement (increased Wheel dia and reduced Road to Wheel gap) is preferable when you are driving on flat and smooth roads.
For indian Roads its just a visual show off, nothing to increase the performance.
So if you seriousl want to improve the ride quality, do change the wheel dia and the tyres.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote