Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th April 2009, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Only Option C.
apart from the reason stated by others related to option C (car in gear is more in control); slotting to Reverse Gear, will lit up your ReV gear (and possibly the attached Jingle Bells/Happy B'Day Melody ) and will notify some one who is behind you that you are reversing.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 11:29   #17
BHPian

Look at the safety aspect. When you switch on the ignition and put gear in reverse, the reverse lights will turn on. This will alert people on the driveway that you are reversing your car.

Also having the car in gear means you can make any last minute maneuvers.

So option C it is.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 12:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
By the way, what was the question? Was it for reversing down the slope or up the slope? If it is down the slope, question is even more silly.
Thanks for your contribution, dude. No question is silly, especially for a newbie. In fact, I'd rather look silly at a discussion forum than on the road
NK@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 13:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

NK,

Brakes(in most cars) and EPS work only when the engine is on.
If the slope is not so steep, and the car will not roll down too fast, you can just release the handbrake and roll down without engaging the clutch or putting the car in gear. (But, slotting into reverse (even if you don't have to release the clutch) will alert any other cars or anyone standing nearby if you have a reverse alarm)

In case the the incline is very steep, better to slot in reverse gear and not to press the accelerator at all. The method followed for engine braking applies here. This way, the car will not roll back uncontrollably!

Quote:
especially for a newbie. In fact, I'd rather look silly at a discussion forum than on the road
I hope the damage is not much.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 13:14   #20
BHPian

Any drive on the downward slope should be with the engine on and gears engaged as it gives greater control and also ensures if you have to hard break for any reason on the downward slope, you do not lock the wheels and skid.
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 15:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Thanks for your contribution, dude. No question is silly, especially for a newbie. In fact, I'd rather look silly at a discussion forum than on the road
Sorry if the word "silly" offended you. I never meant to discourage you to ask question. And the least to ridicule you. Apologies.

But even in that case, my question still: what difference does it make whether you are reversing or going forward in a slope? Methodologies are same. With the new generation cars, never let the vehicle roll (down/up/plain) without engine on. In gear or nutral depends on the slope and situation. In general it is better to keep the gear slotted as gear would help in keeping the speed in check and brake wouldn't heat up too much in down slopes.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 15:31   #22
BHPian

Only Option C for the same reason that you never drive down mountain roads in neutral.
Gears and engine give you more control than coasting downwards
genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 21:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Sorry if the word "silly" offended you. I never meant to discourage you to ask question. And the least to ridicule you. Apologies.

But even in that case, my question still: what difference does it make whether you are reversing or going forward in a slope? Methodologies are same. With the new generation cars, never let the vehicle roll (down/up/plain) without engine on. In gear or nutral depends on the slope and situation. In general it is better to keep the gear slotted as gear would help in keeping the speed in check and brake wouldn't heat up too much in down slopes.
Hey, no problemo. I didn't take any offense .

Again, thanks for resolving my query. I think I now know how to reverse properly in a downward slope.
NK@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 23:27   #24
BHPian

I would go with Option A if the slope is steep and if the slope is not too steep plus the distance to be covered is decent enough hit the reverse and pushe her back nice and easy.

Also, if you can take a u turn, do that, hit the first and drive off!
alexnazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 23:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

a)Switch on the ignition and simply let it roll down, controlling the brakes simultaneously?
Locking of wheels is possible. Hence very dangerous.

b)Simply release the hand brake without starting the car and let the car roll down while controlling the brakes?
What if you have powerbrakes.?

c)Switch on the ignition, put the car in reverse gear and then pull it back?
This is the correct way to do.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote