Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th April 2009, 12:14   #1
BHPian

Default Engine Problem - Indica Xeta

Dear Readers,

I would require your advice on my cars engine problem. The car is Xeta GLS with about 8200 km on board. All these time car has behaved impeccably without any trouble at all. Car went for it's second service on 8th April for oil, air filter & fuel filter change. Oil treatment additive was also added. After driving car home without any problem I could not take out the car till yesterday 23rd April. Even earlier I had parked my car for 20 days at a stretch 2 or 3 times without starting the engine and there was no problem at all.

Once I started the car I could sense trouble, instead of smooth purr it was rambling and engine check light was on. I drove the car for about 1 km and there wasnt any improvement. Engine vibrations can be felt very hard. There is decreased power but car moves without any problem and AC seems to be working well and all other accessories including lights. Exhaust fumes are strong.

I am not very knowledgeble about cars but I suspect one of the cylinders is not firing. I could also see that rats had entered the car but I cannot find any visible damage.

I spoke to service advisor at Prerana Motors and explained this to him. He was very helpful and has asked me bring my car tommorow. Now this place is around 20 km from my place. Is it OK if I drive? Guys please help.
kreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 13:17   #2
BANNED

HI,

Check the connectors on the injectors. they go loose at times. i had this problem and same symptoms as yours. eventually they changed the connectors. Ask Prerana motors to send someone to pick the car and you could ride with him.

EDIT: It could also be the sparkplugs or the plug wires. the intake manifold makes it difficult to access the plugs.

Your best bet would be to ask Tata to pickup the car as you don't feel comfortable driving it.

Last edited by saintsinner : 24th April 2009 at 13:33.
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 13:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

get a local mechanic and verify that oil pump is working.else it is not at all advisable to drive the car to garage.use the help of a local mechanic.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 14:07   #4
BANNED

Go ahead and drive it to the TASC. Could be the plugs and HT cables but in my experience, the CHECK ENGINE light has not come on for this reason. You could also check the connections to the ignition coil. These sometimes work loose. Please check all these with the engine switched off.

P.S. The CHECK ENGINE light was / is a known issue with the Xeta.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 15:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

20 km to the TASC ? Prerana has 3 units - Peenya, Hosur Rd & OMR. Where do you live ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 15:09   #6
BHPian

Default Indiranagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
20 km to the TASC ? Prerana has 3 units - Peenya, Hosur Rd & OMR. Where do you live ?
Well Condor,

I think it should be less than 15 km. I live in Indiranagar but serviced the vehicle at Hosur Road since it's closer to my office at BTM Layout. I thought it would be better to get it checked by same service advisor who checked it last time.
Old 25th April 2009, 13:11   #7
BHPian

Default Rat Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
HI,

Check the connectors on the injectors. they go loose at times. i had this problem and same symptoms as yours. eventually they changed the connectors. Ask Prerana motors to send someone to pick the car and you could ride with him.

EDIT: It could also be the sparkplugs or the plug wires. the intake manifold makes it difficult to access the plugs.

Your best bet would be to ask Tata to pickup the car as you don't feel comfortable driving it.
Yes you and hrag were absolutely right. When I checked carefully and tugged at plug wires gently one came out and it was bitten right through by rats into 2 pieces. I could also see they had gnawed at other 3 cables as well.

Spoke to TASC on OMR Road and drove slowly to service center. Entire set has to be replaced and it costs Rs.1100. I have to collect the vehicle in the evening as I had to rush back to office.

Even though saddened by unnecessary expense, I am somewhat releived as I had assumed that this was beginning of troubles with the engine.

Mods please modify to title to something appropriate to indicate Rat Trouble and not engine problem.
Old 25th April 2009, 13:22   #8
BANNED

Cool. Just make sure they change all 4 cables and the old ones are delivered to you.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 15:31   #9
BANNED

lol. it'll work fine now. Xeta is a wonderful car, the only problem with rats that i have had is them eating peanuts in the car. you might wanna try that out
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 16:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Having tasted the finest quality made in India products, the rats are likely to come back. There is a thread somewhere on rat proofing your car. Please do it. The TASC guys may be familiar with that, but just be sure to go through the thread first.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 11:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Having tasted the finest quality made in India products, the rats are likely to come back. There is a thread somewhere on rat proofing your car. Please do it. The TASC guys may be familiar with that, but just be sure to go through the thread first.
I have observed that rats come into cars engine bay whenever it rains. Entire monsoon last year I used to put 2 open pouches of tobacco in engine bay every 2 days to counter them and it was successful. First rains this year and they promptly came out of gutters and chewed the cable before I could put tobacco.

What I dont understand they ignore a Sumo parked in my compound along with my Xeta. May be they prefer a clean engine bay of my relatively new car.

One more query to experts. I observed that these cables also become hot after car has run engine has run for some time. Is this normal? They touch engine block at few places even though each cable has a circular plastic device to prevent this.
Old 6th June 2013, 13:40   #12
BHPian

Default Rat bite leads to engine failure! help me understand.

So the story goes like this.Its about a 2006 Tata Indigo. Its regularly serviced and fluids topped up as needed.Its done a lakh kilometres and there has never been a breakdown.

A couple of days ago the car was in Amritsar.Then came a long drive the next day to Ambala and back.A trip of about 400 kms. the temperature was hot at 45 degrees and the return trip was in the afternoon heat. AC was on most of the time. The engine was stressed due to a full load and the heat. added to the stress was stop and go traffic due to an army brigade moving from ludhiana to Ambala cantt. Huge Shaktiman trucks and Jabalpur Vehicle Factory made leyland trucks. the roads are a mess with flyovers being built and lots of diversions.

at the end of the journey i started to notice a slight loss of power,max speed was being limited to 100 on full throttle. the engine also stalled a couple of times.

As i reached home in the evening i noticed a change in engine noise and decided to take it up in the morning.The check engine light came on.

Next morning the engine started with a loud tractor like clatter ,clearly indicating something was wrong. checked the exhaust for excessive smoke-- negative.

checked the belts--all okay

looked for any externally visible leaks--all okay.

had to drive 50 kms to get back to my mechanic.drove but the engine made a loud clatter,revs limited to 2000 rpm, speed limited to 65, stalling on idle, starting no problem.check engine light stayed on throughout.

Got the car back and checked the air filter.there was a hole in the air filter
as if someone had poked a screwdriver in. alot of dust. the fender lining had fallen off!

went to my mechanic who had serviced the car a month ago,to complain about one of his underlings who had "screwed" up the new air filter and fitted it anyway.

He told me it was a rat bite!

I couldn't believe it but some others also mentioned it a possibility due to a loose fender lining and "supposed" rat droppings in the air filter casing.

His explanation for the check engine light was a "chewed up" wire somewhere which they were unable to find . I was unable reproduce the engine clatter at the garage. so told them to change the engine oil, air filter, oil and fuel filters and all the belts( time to replace them anyway).

After they changed the belts and cranked up the engine,the clatter started up again.The guy who changed the belt said it was most probably due to "nozzle (injector)" blockage. then the head mechanic came on and told me the problem would be resolved in a couple of hours and told me to leave the car there.I complied.

I left them to their job and got the car back in the evening. The car is working just fine with the engine light still on.They didnt do anything specific,probably just revved the engine at high rpms.

SO goes my train of thought:

Rat bites air filter-- loose fender lining - dusty drive with stressed engine- dirt messing up the injectors- inadequate fuel/air - car becomes an underpowered tractor!

Check engine light remains on due to system design? ( needs to be reset at the TASS)

Is my reasoning correct?
or should i investigate furthur?
Do i need to open up the engine to check for dirt?

Do i need to get the injectors serviced?

IS the check engine light supposed to stay on after the problem is resolved?

Last but not the least! Did a rat actually do this? or the mechanic smartassed me into blaming the poor rodent species?

Members with technical know how ,kindly enlighten me as to what kind of sensor would tip off the check engine light in this scenario!!

Last edited by drsingh : 6th June 2013 at 13:48.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 15:20   #13
BHPian

Default Re: Rat bite leads to engine failure! help me understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
SO goes my train of thought:

Rat bites air filter-- loose fender lining - dusty drive with stressed engine- dirt messing up the injectors- inadequate fuel/air - car becomes an underpowered tractor!

Check engine light remains on due to system design? ( needs to be reset at the TASS)

Is my reasoning correct?
or should i investigate furthur?
Do i need to open up the engine to check for dirt?

Do i need to get the injectors serviced?

IS the check engine light supposed to stay on after the problem is resolved?

Last but not the least! Did a rat actually do this? or the mechanic smartassed me into blaming the poor rodent species?

Members with technical know how ,kindly enlighten me as to what kind of sensor would tip off the check engine light in this scenario!!
Though I would recommend visiting the TASS before you get rid of the check engine light as it can point to the right error code which might be the root cause of the problem and might still be hiding in the dark.

But if you want to get rid of the check engine light at home then disconnect both the battery terminals and press the horn(to drain any remaining electricity from the capacitor). Wait for 15 mins and reconnect the battery terminals.You would have gotten rid of the check engine light.
This is how i used to do it on my Tata safari.
From your problem description I got reminded of the issue in my safari. Same symptons and the diagnosis was that the rail pressure sensor has gone bad. They ordered a new one and asked me to wait for 2 weeks for the part to arrive.I waited for 2 months, got frustrated and then sold the safari.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 6th June 2013 at 15:22.
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 16:49   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Rat bite leads to engine failure! help me understand.

In a 2006 Tata Indigo TDI, the fuel injector pump is mechanical and is not controlled by the ECU.

Adulterated diesel (or) EGR stuck open (or) clogged Injectors can make the engine clatter.

Temporarily disconnect the battery for 15mins and then check if CEL has gone.

Fender lining can fall if one or more flimsy clips come off(very common in my indigo). Did you see any signs of rat chewing or biting stuff ? If not then the mechanic has taken you for a ride.

Please post a photo of the engine bay.
interc00led is online now   Reply With Quote