Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th April 2009, 02:09   #1
BHPian

Default Side indicators stop working after parking in the sun!

Hi Guys,

This is a weird one , whenever I park my car (esteem) in sunlight for some time , the side indicators just stop working! they start working after the car is driven for some time !

I just can't figure out what's wrong! any ideas?

Regards,

Amit
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 02:20   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
Hi Guys,

This is a weird one , whenever I park my car (esteem) in sunlight for some time , the side indicators just stop working! they start working after the car is driven for some time !

I just can't figure out what's wrong! any ideas?

Regards,

Amit
How old is the car? Happens when switches get old. (If the car is not that old there may be a loose connection somewhere or maybe a lose fuse).
alexnazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 04:24   #3
BHPian

Hello,
it should be a loose connection either in indicator holders or in the flasher circuit.
you can try to turn ON indicators while the car is SUN HOT, and then try to check wire and the flasher.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 06:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Few question:

1. Time of day?
2. Orientation of parked car?
3. Color of car?
4. Which side indicator?
5. How far driven before indicator works?
6. What speed to be driven for indicators to work?
7. Is it just the indicators that are not working? What about horn?

and finally...

8. Are you serious!

EDIT:
This is going to go the 'anything but Vanilla ice-cream & Ford (was it Ford)' way!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 25th April 2009 at 06:58.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 11:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
How old is the car? Happens when switches get old. (If the car is not that old there may be a loose connection somewhere or maybe a lose fuse).
car is 9 years old, i can't see any connection thats obviously loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Few question:

1. Time of day?
2. Orientation of parked car?
3. Color of car?
4. Which side indicator?
5. How far driven before indicator works?
6. What speed to be driven for indicators to work?
7. Is it just the indicators that are not working? What about horn?

and finally...

8. Are you serious!

EDIT:
This is going to go the 'anything but Vanilla ice-cream & Ford (was it Ford)' way!
its really funny actually, but it happens at noon or any other time when there is hot sun and the car is parked in the sun, if its parked in the shade, it works fine! the car is some sort of golden beige color

the indicators work after driving some distance - no exact figure sometimes immediately, sometimes it takes 15 mins or so.

and the horn works fine, its just the indicators

Yes, I think it just might go the vanilla ice-cream way!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 25th April 2009 at 11:54.
Old 25th April 2009, 12:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

This problem seems to be related to heat. Some contact in the indicator circuit must be expanding because of the heat and contracting when it cools down. Now you need to figure out which contact it is. It can be anything, right from the switch to the bulb holder. You will have to check the entire circuit.

Where does it happen more often? Bangalore or Goa?

Last edited by vikram_d : 25th April 2009 at 12:41.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 12:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This problem seems to be related to heat. Some contact in the indicator circuit must be expanding because of the heat and contracting when it cools down. Now you need to figure out which contact it is. It can be anything, right from the switch to the bulb holder. You will have to check the entire circuit.

Where does it happen more often? Bangalore or Goa?
hmm seems to be more likely the case, i guess i'll have to get my hands dirty and trace it out !

Happens everywhere, bangalore and goa both
Old 25th April 2009, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Do the front & back indicators work properly? If they do then I suspect the bulb holder is the problem.

If none of the indicators work then I suspect it is a problem with the switch. The contacts must be worn out and the problem will be getting exaggerated by the heat.

A quick test that you can do is to park the car out in the sun for sometime and then try using the hazard lights. If the hazard lamps work then it is definitely a problem with the indicator switch.
Old 25th April 2009, 13:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Do the front & back indicators work properly? If they do then I suspect the bulb holder is the problem.

If none of the indicators work then I suspect it is a problem with the switch. The contacts must be worn out and the problem will be getting exaggerated by the heat.

A quick test that you can do is to park the car out in the sun for sometime and then try using the hazard lights. If the hazard lamps work then it is definitely a problem with the indicator switch.
The hazard lights dont work either! i'm really baffled , i checked most of the things some half an hour ago! it all looks sane!
Old 25th April 2009, 13:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Check for any loose contact in the fuse box both under the dash board and also under the hood.
Old 25th April 2009, 23:42   #11
BHPian

vikram you were right ! today evening when i went out , the indicators stopped working completely! follwed the side indicator wires and there was a loose connection in the engine bay - there was a relay which was bolted to the body inside the engine bay, and under the bolt a 3-4 wires were grounded, looks like someone overtightened the bolt when i gave it for service last time around and the threads got damaged resulting in the loose connection, i replaced the bolt and now it seems to work fine.

I think the problem might have got solved, will have to wait till tomorrow for the sun to come up keeping my fingers crossed! But i'm still baffled about the heat part!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 25th April 2009 at 23:47.
Old 26th April 2009, 09:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

I'm glad you found the problem. Hope it does it not give you any more problems.