Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th April 2009, 15:35   #1
BHPian

Question Fuel Lid Lock-out in Ikon Flair

This is an incident that I saw yesterday. At the fuel bunk an Ikon Flair had stopped to fill gas. But after unlocking the door locks, the fuel lid (outer) refused to open. He did try a reset - switch off, crank, lock, unlock etc. But the lid just doesnt unlock. My questions:

1. Is this a known issue with Flair? A friend of mine has an Ikon Flair and whenever he starts the car, the door locks gets into this frenzy of locking and unlocking. Stops after sometime. Quite irritating I would say. Tend to think that Ikon may have electricals as a weak point. Owners?

2. In such a situation, what can one do? The above chap had a fair bit fuel to go to a workshop etc. But it can be a big problem if you wait till the end to fill. What do you do? Is there any tricks/tips on open this manualy?
determinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:45   #2
BHPian

Did he try prying open the fuel-lid with some screwdriver or something. I had to do this on my esteem few weeks back when the remote lid opener didn't work. A damaged cable was the problem and replaced it with a new one.
siddvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:51   #3
BHPian

I had a similar problem with my U-VA. Luckily had a tankful just before that and the car was due for the 6 month service in a couple of days. Apparently something had jammed it. Didn't know how they released it though!
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 23:29   #4

I have had this happen on an Ikon - since there is no separate lever to operate the fuel lid, I tried prying it open (gently) with no success. Eventually, I drove around and after a while it opened up. My friends who own Ikon's thought it was unusual.
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Dont use screwdriver and stuff, the lid is made of plastic and the lock lip will break. Open the boot and move the carpet thingie a lil and you should be able to access the lock system. A drop of oil once in a while on the lock might help.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
1. Is this a known issue with Flair? A friend of mine has an Ikon Flair and whenever he starts the car, the door locks gets into this frenzy of locking and unlocking. Stops after sometime. Quite irritating I would say. Tend to think that Ikon may have electricals as a weak point. Owners?

2. In such a situation, what can one do? The above chap had a fair bit fuel to go to a workshop etc. But it can be a big problem if you wait till the end to fill. What do you do? Is there any tricks/tips on open this manualy?
1.) Doesnt seem to be a known issue. Ask your friend to get the centra locking mechanism checked.

2.) Solution already provided by Jaggu, on how to access the lock.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote